• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Install windows xp on a pre-installed-vista laptop

minhbola

Here s how it happens:

1. Format the drive
2. Copy setup files THEN some sort of problem about lacking of mouse drivers. ( even with the mouse connected)
3. Restart and everything seems fine.
4. During the install process, it requires some files from the cd (weird cuz the cd is on the go already) so i just keep press ok. I remember one of the error is about 13_ _ something file. THen It restart again.
5. Now I can see the screen load up with the loading bar. Shortly after, a blue screen appears in French.

After several attempts, i gave up and loaded the old vista again.

The laptop is weak (celeron 1.86ghz, 512mb Ram) so i really want to use Xp than Vista.

Hope u guys will come up with something.

Appreciate it.

Processor i7 2600k@4.6ghz
Motherboard MSI z68ma-ed55
Cooling Silentx Extreem 120mm
Memory 2x4gb XMS 7-8-7-20 1600
Video Card(s) HD6870
Storage 2x128gb Kingston Hyper-X (Raid0), 2x750gb RE3 (RAID1), 2x750gb RE3 (RAID1)
Display(s) Soyo 24", Gateway 22"
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini 6x120mm fans.
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Zalman 750w
Software Windows 7
Where did you get your XP cd?

Anyways... Go to the manufacture's website and see if they list XP drivers for it. If so then life is alot easier. If not don't worry. Most of the drivers can be found either in another model or from the hardware manufacture's websites. Seeing that you made it to the blue loading bar you will not need any of the F6 drivers for the harddrive controller = good. Any errors during the install about files missing or currupt = bad. Bad or scratched CD or something. Burn anoth... I mean purchase another copy. :D

minhbola

well, i believe the cd is fine. I installed it on my friend 's computer not long ago. i reckon i'll just leave it as it is. Tired of going through everything again.

System Name Machine XV
Processor Dual Xeon E5 2670 V3 Turbo unlocked
Motherboard Kllisre X99 Dual
Cooling 120mm heatsink
Memory 64gb DDR4 ECC
Video Card(s) RX 480 4Gb
Storage 1Tb NVME SSD
Display(s) 19" + 23" + 17"
Case ATX
Audio Device(s) XFi xtreme USB
Power Supply 800W
Software Windows 10
it could be that the cd drive is malfunctioning ive had that a few times. try a different xp disk and if that doesnt work use a usb cd drive.