• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Installing Vista Again

I am installing a new Operating System on my computer for a varety of reasons that I have mentioned in other discussion threads. I am going to do this on a new hard drive that I am buying along with the new Vista Business 32-bit and I plan on making my current hard drive a "D" drive.

I wonder what sort of preparations I should make and I wonder what steps I should talke to do this.

I know that when you install a new OS, it wipes the hard drive clean. Will it do this only on the C drive? Or if I have both hard drives hooked up, will it do it on both hard drives?

Also, my current system is a Vista Business 64-bit. It seems that Microsoft discontinued this OS and they only sell the 32-bit. Is that going to be any kind of problem?

it will only format what ever drive you make it so you choose C: or D:

other than that dont you have a disk for your current os i mean you can phone and get a new serial key

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
I am installing a new Operating System on my computer for a varety of reasons that I have mentioned in other discussion threads. I am going to do this on a new hard drive that I am buying along with the new Vista Business 32-bit and I plan on making my current hard drive a "D" drive.

I wonder what sort of preparations I should make and I wonder what steps I should talke to do this.

I know that when you install a new OS, it wipes the hard drive clean. Will it do this only on the C drive? Or if I have both hard drives hooked up, will it do it on both hard drives?

Also, my current system is a Vista Business 64-bit. It seems that Microsoft discontinued this OS and they only sell the 32-bit. Is that going to be any kind of problem?

it will only wipe the drive that you select, and as for 32-bit, it really only depends on how much ram you have or how much you plan on adding.

64 bit applications are much better than 32 bit

64 bit os address memory differently

32 bit seems to be slower too but thats just me,

pcs used to have an A: B: floppy and the C: drive was the Hard Disk Drive D: was added for an optical drive nice little fachto there

we still use A: drive for floppy and C: drive for HDD, because we no longer require a second floppy drive anymore

Mark099

If you are buying Vista now -- any version. Buy 64-bit. Application and driver support is fully in place now.

Processor AMD FX-8320 4.1Ghz
Motherboard Asus Aura
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 1060 SC
Storage Intel 535 Series SSD + Seagate FireCuda 2TB
Case NZXT
Power Supply EVGA 650 Watt
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Like Mark said.... Buy 64-Bit

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
why not use the 7 beta, its free for now and faster than vista in my opinion

shadapar

shouldn't be an issue but sometimes vista gets stupid about drive assignments, especially if you already have an OS in place on the second drive. shouldn't be an issue if you've set boot priority in the bios, but if it boots to a desktop screen, but nothing comes up on then control+alt+delete to bring up the task manager, go file, new task run, and type regedit. somewhere in there is the serialized drive assignments for windows. you might have to use the find function to search for it, but just change the D: to C: and the C: to D: then save and reboot. Windows should come up fine.