• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Announces Root Cause of Meltdown, Spectre Patch Reboot Issue Identified

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
As you can see, I have been called a moron, a fool, people like me are dangerous etc

For my part, I didn't call you a fool. I said your actions were foolish. There is a very big difference.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Question: Can the Patch be undone, for those that had it auto applied? (((OR))) Will it stay in place for some reason and leave behind remnants?
I think technically it can, because for me it repeatedly failed at the 85% or so point, then went through a big production of rolling me back.

Yet, this is update #2 this month.

Undoing the patch for meltdown because it can crash certain systems? I'm not sure how that qualifies as "not so bad." :laugh:
...update #2 of the same major topic, when have there been multiple quick microcode updates PREVIOUSLY that didnt align to product launches?

crashes are binary, so bad implies there is some amount of bad that can be accepted, but this is 'some reports came in so ctrl+z', ubuntu recently had some laptop firmware losing issue that no other distro had, so sometimes it's not even the microcode's problem but what the distro was trying to do (edit: was update #1 this or was it still meltdown?)

If Ubuntu was a server distro I might understand pulling the update for 'mission critical' reliability reasons but it's a desktop distro, and as the most popular Linux distro (and one which I personally use) others are likely to follow suit. There are a lot of distros based on Ubuntu, it's not some no name.
ubuntu dropped their unity work & switched to gnome made by red hat, already on systemd made by red hat, people dont 'follow' ubuntu, they follow upstream changes that may or may not match what ubuntu does (if it isnt obvious, i dont like ubuntu or the way some packages are handled)

As you can see, I have been called a moron, a fool, people like me are dangerous etc. I refuse to be humble in front of such people, who should be eating their words right now. I can tell you to rest assured that my Operating System is fully under my control, my browser is not losing any performance
who cares what a few people said on some forum? at a subconscious level it's boasting about your setup so it adds too much filler text (yes, ironically i want an evolved reaction from you even though we have nothing to do with each other & nobody cares tomorrow... if anything, not feeling the need to be defensive will bring you peace while the others stay stressed, letting go of an argument is applicable to both sides not just the attacker (disclosure: i saw your old posts the first time though it's good that i had a few days to think about them more & reread them today))

your browser is losing performance because they loosened a certain timer latency, not that it will be noticable, neither is the touted 30% loss that people keep reposting... that loss is extremely specific & probably most obvious on an SSD where speeds are crazy high, 0.1s to 0.5sec is a multi hundred percent loss, but still less than a second, so i dont avoid updates without measuring or at least noticing losses for myself (even if they exist, in a game example, 90 to 85 fps is irrelevant, winxp might be faster sometimes, but not enough to matter, deferring updates could be in the same situation)

edit: by the way, work has been done since the summer, but i guess a lot of rushing was going on in january

For my part, I didn't call you a fool. I said your actions were foolish. There is a very big difference.

Let me teach you something today. This is the definition of foolish: "lacking good sense or judgement; unwise."

Now please tell me which one of us was the one acting foolish. Me, using my judgement to determine that it would be wiser to wait until this is sorted out? Or you, downloading and deploying untested beta software designed to gimp CPU's, that now even the ones who made it say it would be better to uninstall? It's one thing to call someones actions foolish and then falsely pretend that the actions of someone doesn't say anything about his character and somehow his actions are separated from him and you can belittle them at your own leisure without insulting him by one bit. It's something else though when your own actions fall under the exact definition of the words you projected on someone else while his are the exact opposite. This says a lot about the character of a person who goes out and projects his own flaws unto others. Please, in the future, instead of worrying about what other people do and judging their actions, take some time out and think better about yours. Use the time you would waste trying to judge others to improve yourself, because it seems that you really need it. This advice goes out to kn00tcn too because he, as any good Canadian does, seems to be more interested in other's people's business than his own...

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
It's one thing to call someones actions foolish and then falsely pretend that the actions of someone doesn't say anything about his character and somehow his actions are separated from him and you can belittle them at your own leisure without insulting him by one bit.

Everyone makes foolish decisions at some point. This does not make them fools. The definition actually says:

(of a person or action) lacking good sense or judgment; unwise.

Note the bold.

Look, if you want to take offense, I can't stop you. I can only state my intent and hope for the best.

The rest of your post is full of unnecesary implications that I feel would be counterproductive to reply to.

Last edited:
Everyone makes foolish decisions at some point. This does not make them fools.

Here you are again projecting your own flaws unto others. This time on the whole humanity. You have made a mistake and were called out for it. What have you learned from this? Maybe try to better yourself? No! Everyone makes mistakes and there's nothing wrong with that. That's what you are telling me right now and that's why I think you will never learn.

Look, if you want to take offense, I can't stop you. I can only state my intent and hope for the best.

You go on by refusing to take any responsibility for your own actions. You said something that someone else found offensive. Of course it's not your fault, other people are taking offense and running away with it and you can't stop them. Let me tell you something, if you spill coffee on someone and he jumps, although you didn't mean to do that, you say you are sorry. If you say something and someone is offended by it, although that was not your intention, you don't have to say sorry but at least you say something like: I didn't mean to offend. There, I've showed you how you can stop people from taking offense. Because the problem here is that you don't even "state your intent" like you say. When you took sides with someone that called me a moron and you called my choice of action foolish what was your intention? To amuse me? To save the planet?

The rest of your post is full of unnecesary implications that I feel would be counterproductive to reply to.

The rest of my post, like this one right here, is filled with truth. I feel pity for anyone that describes truth as "unnecessary implications" and refuses to confront it. I repeat my advice to you: spend some time thinking about your behavior and how your actions impact and are perceived by those around you. Try to confront your own problems and resolve them yourself instead of projecting them unto others. As long as you go around making mistakes and then thinking: well everybody does that, you will not be able to truly advance...

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
This whole discussion frankly says a lot more about you than me.

You seem a very angry person. For that reason, I'm out.

This whole discussion frankly says a lot more about you than me.

You seem a very angry person. For that reason, I'm out.

Of course yet again it's someone else's fault. Although nothing in my discourse was in any way or form uncivilized and could have been perceived as angry, once again you project something from inside yourself on someone else. Maybe what I've said has made you angry so in your head I'm the angry one now. Because that's what you do and sadly it seems will continue to do into the future. It seems there's nothing I can do to change that so: Bye! Enjoy your gimped CPU! :D

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Of course yet again it's someone else's fault.

No, I don't think it's anyones fault. I think it's just a sucky situation I don't want to be a part of.

I'm sorry I made you mad. It wasn't my intention but it is what happened. Truth be told, I don't feel too guilty about it as it seems you are abusing definitions to make yourself angry and I never really intended insult, so what more can I do but say "sorry, didn't mean to make you mad bro?" I can't help but infer that that may mean you are an angry person, if you aren't and are thinking of rainbows right now, please be pleased to know I am happy for you.

Good day.

Some benches from techspot, the slowdown is real ~

No, I don't think it's anyones fault. I think it's just a sucky situation I don't want to be a part of.

I'm sorry I made you mad. It wasn't my intention but it is what happened. Truth be told, I don't feel too guilty about it as it seems you are abusing definitions to make yourself angry and I never really intended insult, so what more can I do but say "sorry, didn't mean to make you mad bro?" I can't help but infer that that may mean you are an angry person, if you aren't and are thinking of rainbows right now, please be pleased to know I am happy for you.

Good day.

When you say "I'm out" and then you come back again that only means one thing: the other person is making you angry. It also means that you are not a man of your word but that's another story. Your every action in this thread proves my words are true and everyone can see it. This article itself under which we are commenting here proves that I was right from the start and you were utterly wrong. I have no reason to be angry, quite the contrary, you have all the reasons in the world. If it wasn't clear from the smiley I posted in my message, I am actually smiling while typing this. :laugh: I'm having an argument with someone on a forum called techpowerup that instead of trying to get more performance out of his CPU used software to gimp it and advised me to do so too so we can save the planet together. Now the performance charts come out so he can see how much he gimped it and he likes it. :laugh: Here, just so you can see I'm not mad at you, I will try to teach you one more thing. This is how it's done son: School session is over. Peace, I'm out!

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
I came back because you were in my notification hotbar, and thought maybe the words "I'm sorry" should be uttered whether I saw the damage or not.

So I'm sorry. I did not mean to hurt your feelings by telling you a security patch may be important.

I'm glad you are happy. Enjoy your 5-10% performance edge and be careful with that security hole.

By the way, this microcode patch was not deployed to Ryzen CPUs, which I am using. So... yeah. I've really got no point except to offer my advice and feelings on best practices. Yes, I feel you are being foolish still. I am sorry that offends you but my thoughts are my own.

Last edited:
System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Remain on topic or reply bans will be issued. Use the ignore functionality, it's proper good like.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Ubuntu Server is. It is distinct from Ubuntu Desktop.
Um, what? Maybe you can explain to me exactly what those differences are because Ubuntu Desktop 17.10 and Ubuntu Server 17.10 use the same software packages, the same kernels, the same drivers, etc. Some of the kernels used to be distinguished but, even that isn't the case anymore. Example:
My tower (running Ubuntu "Desktop" 17.10):
Code:
$ uname -a
Linux kratos 4.13.0-31-generic #34-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 19 16:34:46 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
...and the tower in the attic crunching with Ubuntu "Server" 17.10:
Code:
$ uname -a                                    
Linux smite 4.13.0-16-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 11 18:35:14 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
So, other than the fact that I haven't updated Smite in a while, they're using the same kernel and the same packages, yet one is "desktop" and the other is "server". The only difference is what packages are installed when the OS was installed for the first time but, I can install Ubuntu Server, run "sudo apt install ubuntu-desktop" and there is literally no difference from Ubuntu Desktop. In fact, every package is addative, it doesn't remove packages when going to desktop, so what gets installed on server is just a subset of what gets installed on desktop. Likewise, if I did a desktop installation and removed just about every package for anything GUI-related and that Ubuntu Desktop will be in [roughly] a state that is the same as a Ubuntu Server installation (uninstalling packages is never as clean as never installing them.)

Either way, Ubuntu Server is not distinct from Ubuntu Desktop, the only difference is what you start with. Even the one thing that used to be different, isn't anymore (the kernel.) Even the /etc/apt/sources.list are practically identical for all Ubuntu apt repos. So, I'm calling foul. There is a reason why the alternative installer doesn't exist anymore, because that's the GUI-less server installer. It's really not any different. In fact, if you want a minimal or mimimal VM installation, desktop or not, you use the server installer but, there is legit no difference between the end result other than what packages are there after installation but, I can assure you that every package in a base server installation is the same as desktop when you talk about Ubuntu's apt repos.

Last edited:
Processor Threadripper 1950X (4.0 GHz OC)
Motherboard ASRock X399 Professional Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqtech TR4
Memory 48GB DDR4 2934MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX 1080, GTX 660TI
Storage 2TB Western Digital HDD, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 280GB Intel Optane 900P
Display(s) 2x 1920x1200
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro M (1000W)
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2
Software Windows 10
Um, what? Maybe you can explain to me exactly what those differences are because Ubuntu Desktop 17.10 and Ubuntu Server 17.10 use the same software packages, the same kernels, the same drivers, etc. Some of the kernels used to be distinguished but, even that isn't the case anymore. Example:
My tower (running Ubuntu "Desktop" 17.10):
Code:
$ uname -a
Linux kratos 4.13.0-31-generic #34-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 19 16:34:46 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
...and the tower in the attic crunching with Ubuntu "Server" 17.10:
Code:
$ uname -a                                   
Linux smite 4.13.0-16-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 11 18:35:14 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
So, other than the fact that I haven't updated Smite in a while, they're using the same kernel and the same packages, yet one is "desktop" and the other is "server". The only difference is what packages are installed when the OS was installed for the first time but, I can install Ubuntu Server, run "sudo apt install ubuntu-desktop" and there is literally no difference from Ubuntu Desktop. In fact, every package is addative, it doesn't remove packages when going to desktop, so what gets installed on server is just a subset of what gets installed on desktop. Likewise, if I did a desktop installation and removed just about every package for anything GUI-related and that Ubuntu Desktop will be in [roughly] a state that is the same as a Ubuntu Server installation (uninstalling packages is never as clean as never installing them.)

Either way, Ubuntu Server is not distinct from Ubuntu Desktop, the only difference is what you start with. Even the one thing that used to be different, isn't anymore (the kernel.) Even the /etc/apt/sources.list are practically identical for all Ubuntu apt repos. So, I'm calling foul. There is a reason why the alternative installer doesn't exist anymore, because that's the GUI-less server installer. It's really not any different. In fact, if you want a minimal or mimimal VM installation, desktop or not, you use the server installer but, there is legit no difference between the end result other than what packages are there after installation but, I can assure you that every package in a base server installation is the same as desktop when you talk about Ubuntu's apt repos.

It appears you are correct. My mistake.

System Name RED
Processor Intel Core i5 2500
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B75M-HD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 2x8GB 1600MHz DDR3 @1333 [Avexir]
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Windforce 2X OC
Storage 1*Samsung 840 Series SSD 250GB, 2*Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDDs
Display(s) LG W1934S
Case Aerocool X-Warrior Red Devil Edition
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC887
Power Supply Seasonic M12II Evo 520W (80+ Bronze)
Mouse Cooler Master Devastator II Mouse
Keyboard Cooler Master Devastator II Keyboard
I might be just a little bit off-topic, but what about Sandy Bridge? Did intel update those chips and if so, is it safe to assume they're not affected by this random rebooting issue?
Also, I've read somewhere that the first microcode update caused some chips (specifically Haswell and Broadwell?) to report "internal errors" on HWInfo64, can anyone with an updated microcode confirm this, please?

System Name It's just a computer
Processor i9-9900K Direct Die
Motherboard eVGA Z390 Dark
Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, HK IV Pro Nickel
Memory G.Skill F4-4500C19D-16GTZKKE or G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZ or G.Skill F4-4000C19D-32GTZSW
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX2080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 EVO M.2
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Case Thermaltake Xaser VI
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G/Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-1300
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1
I've applied the microcode update to my 6700K mobo and still have not encountered any issues.

Neither have I, nor any significant slowdown.

I was simply wondering if there were different microcodes for different processors that perhaps had different effects?