• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Claims Meteor Lake Beating Ryzen 7040 Phoenix in both Graphics and CPU Performance

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Putting that up against Meteor Lake would have been like watching a Jedi fight a quadriplegic.
Nearly spit out my coffee loling at that one.

No single thread performance?

This look like a future Bulldozer moment for Intel. i hope that i am wrong but since they barely compete against a CPU that will be 1 year old and the 8xxx APU are coming early next year (shipping now), i doubt that they will be able to compete soon with AMD.

There will be a double whammy with Strix point still in 2024. i hope that i am wrong.

I don't think this is like Bulldozer. Bulldozer was a whole new architecture on a whole new node and it performed worse than its predecessor in single -threaded tasks while also using more power. Moreover AMD was pretty much stuck with that node for 5 years. (AMD did eventually migrate from 32nm to 28nm, but the 28nm node was GPU-centric and killed AMD's desktop CPU line.) Bulldozer was so inefficient that AMD ported their old architecture to 32nm for the mobile market. Piledriver, Bulldozer's successor, pretty much fixed every issue, but Bulldozer competed against Sandy Bridge, Intel's wildly successful microarchitecture, and Piledriver competed against Ivy Bridge built on Intel's equally wildly successful 22nm node.

It is true that Meteor Lake is only coming to mobile (probably because it can't clock high enough for desktop) and it's a regression in single-threaded performance and it's late to market at a time when Intel needs a win. But it's efficient and has a great iGPU. It's not using a new CPU microarchitecture, so the regression in CPU performance is on the Intel 4 node and not on the design. (The E core microarchitecture is new but the multithreaded performance is better so I think those cores really have improved.) AMD isn't making stellar leaps; Zen 4 is good but not spectacular like what Bulldozer was against, and RDNA3 is probably why Meteor Lake's iGPU looks so good. And Intel won't be stuck on Intel 4 forever; Intel 3 and 20A are both due next year.

Bulldozer was a failure that AMD's entire future was built on. Meteor Lake is just another step down Intel's decline. I'd say it's more like Ice Lake, but at least this time Intel didn't precede it with a line that never really came to market (Cannon Lake). Ice Lake was followed by Tiger Lake which was great on mobile and Alder Lake which was great on desktop, so maybe there's hope for Arrow Lake and Lunar Lake. But the fact that Intel has been talking so much about Lunar Lake makes me think that Arrow Lake isn't looking much better than Meteor Lake.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
The power numbers look quite good. +10% perf over zen 4 means that zen 5 will likely take back the crown whenever it's available, but I feel like most people expected that already. Good to see the tile architecture paying off in power draw though.

Edit:
Squinting it looks like the fifth bar is microsoft teams and shows no improvement. lol teams.
Imagine that, an electron app sucks at performance and needs better hardware. Go figure.