• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Core i7-10700K Features 5.30 GHz Turbo Boost

ARF

Why are you comparing an F to a K all of a sudden?

AMD has only a single 12-core and a single 16-core SKU. This is a gigantic problem which they must address.
Intel has much more diverse lineup.
This is fact and I'm not fanboy of Intel - I agree that their product lineup creation is better.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Thanks isnt enough... QFT!!

....who cares about gaps between core/thread count? Lol

This may be the first time Alf has been called an Intel fanboy...lol

I guess we should chalk that up to these lockdown measures. No. I hope so.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Lower 6-core models are the cores/$£€ sweetspot. Anything above that will be more expensive per core.
Ryzen 5 3600 and 10400F.

System Name Coffeelake the Zen Destroyer
Processor 8700K @5.1GHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA
Cooling Cooled by EK
Memory RGB DDR4 4133MHz CL17-17-17-37
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti to future GTX 1180Ti
Storage SAMSUNG 960 PRO 512GB
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG27VQ to ROG SWIFT PG35VQ
Case Cooler Master HAF X Nvidia Edition
Audio Device(s) Logitech
Power Supply COOLER MASTER 1KW Gold
Mouse LOGITECH Gaming
Keyboard Logitech Gaming
Software MICROSOFT Redstone 4
Benchmark Scores Cine Bench 15 single performance 222
Maybe not. Normally, IPC increase of 20% or so means lower frequencies, not higher frequencies.

13th generation? I think they should start from 1st generation once BIG.little approach is implemented.

You're right!!

As far as I know Intel Alder Lake and Intel Meteor Lake are listed as 12th & 13th generation on new H6 LGA 1700 socket but as all the leaks on the net say that 16 cores Intel Alder Lake (big.LITTLE is brand new architecture and using 10nm++ and Intel Meteor Lake is 7nm+ (Intel Alder Lake Refresh) both on H6 LGA 1700 socket PCIe 5.0 with DDR5 and USB-4

To my knowledge Intel Rocket Lake memory controller is PCIe 4.0 for H5 LGA 1200 socket PCIe 4.0 boards 400/500 series.

To my knowledge Intel Meteor Lake memory controller is PCIe 5.0 for H6 LGA 1700 socket PCIe 5.0 boards 600/700 series.

To my knowledge AMD AM5 is PCIe 5.0 with DDR5 and USB-4 from the start! (5nm)

You can do your own research....but it seems clear whats coming.

Yeah Intel should call Intel Alder Lake & Intel Meteor Lake as first #1 & #2 of new architecture....

Is there an actual cooler out there that can dissipate 300+w in a normal case? Air OR Water?

Processor R5 5600X
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Is there an actual cooler out there that can dissipate 300+w in a normal case? Air OR Water?
240mm radiator should be reasonably OK for doing that. Bigger air coolers are capable as well although noise might be a problem. Look at Intel's HEDT or Threadrippers for some ideas on what working with that kind of heat is like.

Processor 8700K @5.1GHz
Cooling Cooled by EK
Audio Device(s) Logitech
Mouse LOGITECH Gaming
Keyboard Logitech Gaming
System Name THE FORTRESS
Processor INTEL CORE i7-10700K
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling BE QUIET DARK ROCK 4
Memory CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO 8GB
Storage SAMSUNG 970 PRO 1TB - CRUCIAL X8 SSD 1TB - ADATA HD770G 1TB
Display(s) SAMSUNG QA65Q7FN 4K 65 INCH TV (120HZ @ 1440p IN PC MODE)
Case BE QUIET DARK BASE PRO 900 REVISION 2
Audio Device(s) SOUND BLASTERX AE-5 - LOGITECH Z-5500 SPEAKERS - SENNHEISER HD598SE CANS
Power Supply SEASONIC PRIME 750W PLATINUM
Mouse RAZER DEATHADDER ELITE
Keyboard LOGITECH K800
Software WIN10 PRO 64
Benchmark Scores STABILITY SILENCE... SPEED
So they've eked out another 1 GHz roughly from the original 14nm 3 years ago.

They've managed an extra 1 Ghz when it took about 15 years to go from 1Ghz to 4Ghz.

And they've managed to do it at the wrong end of that GHz race and on an aging fab process... it's not a bad effort really.

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit

Earthplayer

Expense is for office productivity, this is enthusiast and damn the cost
Heat? Are we talking about Ryzen's now, because in every test they burn like the sun compared to the Intel counterpart
1080p: E-Sports dude, the whole world is chasing frames and latency and your boys just don't deliver
Which tests are you talking about? All those lies and argumentum ad hominem in almost every post from you are very sad.

Chips like the 3600/3600x/3700x consume a lot less power compared to their intel counterparts. Except for idle consumption, intel pulls slightly ahead there. (doesn't matter for us as we don't use our PCs just to browse the web - always gaming or working else turning it off) And the new 10th gen chips from Intel actually have a TDP for their baseclock and not boost. (this is why the "forced 95w TDP mode" shows a 3.5ghz clock compared to the 125w TDP at 3.8ghz) The turbo clock power consumption (power consumption = heat) goes above 200w on the 10700k. And that's just for the chip without anything else. You say AMD chips would be hotter than Intel chips which is simply not true.

For some power consumption (and hence heat production) tables see the link below. Same performance intel chips tend to run hotter/use more power than AMD chips (Zen 2).

The older Zen 1/Zen 1 + chips produced a lot more heat than the Zen 2 chips though. Which is to be expected when going down to 7nm with Zen 2. Zen 3 is going to be rather interesting. If you want to have the highest FPS numbers in games possible you could still go for an intel processor. But you will have to go with AMD if you don't want your system to basically be a heater, want it to be a lot more quiet and depending on where you live save a decent amount of money from your electricity bill (sure, USA has cheap electricity but most countries like mine have double to triple the cost per kwh - a 50w difference with 4 hours of high workload or gaming per day can easily eat 30-40€ per year where I live). A system which runs cooler, runs quiet, is cheaper and consumes less electricity is well worth a ~5% difference in framerate in most games. And games actually using 8 cores / 16 threads will become a lot better with the new console generation releasing soon which might mitigate that difference in the future or even turn the numbers around. Most CPU bound games currently have a larger issue with draw calls more than anything though so Vulkan/DX12 should fix the multithreading bottlenecks eventually. (doesn't matter if a game like Planet Coaster can use 16 threads if the draw calls are bound to a two threads bottlenecking even the best processors to below 60fps in lategame while two threads run at 100% and all others run at 30%)

And on the stability side of things: Early Ryzen chips definitly had issues. But BIOS updates and Chipset updates (download those directly from AMD - they almost always have a newer version than the motherboard manufacturer) fixed all common instabilities. Some people still have issues due to some very specific combination of hardware and software installed or some bad bios or windows settings but personally neither my wife (amd 3700x) nor me (intel 7700k) have had any issues. Neither of those systems had a BSOD in the past six months (got the 3700x back then, she was still on a 4770k before that) and both are used for gaming and heavy workloads (the PCs at work are bad and we work at a radiology department hence we like to run the 3D image calculation from the 256 slice low dose CT at our own PCs when doing homeoffice - the PCs at work are old enough to still run windows 98...). Can you have issues with a chip? Yes, my 2500k back in the day had BSOD issues even though it is supposedly one of the most stable processors from that time, simply lost the chip lottery back then. But I don't really see any issues with current ryzen 3000 processors. Don't know anyone who had issues with it either and we have a lot of "gamer friends" (kinda comes with working at a radiology, basically the only geeky part of hospitals where we live - makes it a lot of fun to work there as noone is opposed to have fun with an after work karaoke party or similar things - internists and other doctors we get to see sometimes are rather boring in comparison).

There are still reasons to go for intel but it's definitly not lower heat or stability anymore. Stability is the same and heat is far worse with 10th gen now and slightly worse with 9th gen compared to Zen 2. I still hope Zen 3 will be as much of a boost as promised in the roadmaps (Zen 2 delivered on the promises, but you can never know). At that point the pressure from both sides will be large enough to see massive price drops on both sides (like we saw with the cut in half prices from intel a short while ago).

Another thing: The prices of the 10th gen from the current presentation is a "cost per unit when buying 1000 units". The real market price normally is 15-20% higher at first. Intel is using the same trick they use for the TDP values. They go for the base instead of boost clock TDP and they go for the "if you buy 1000 units" instead of "recommended retail price". Ontop of that they like to present their single core boost clock as the "boost clock" instead of all core boost. This time they at least showed both in their presentation. AMD uses similar tricks but not to such an extent. Hence looking just as the numbers on paper instead of actual benchmarks (power consumption etc) might make you believe that intel would be better in that regards while it actually isn't (as shown in the graph above - you can find many more tests and benchmarks rather easily though).

Last edited:
Processor R5 5600X
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
They go for the base instead of boost clock TDP and they go for the "if you buy 1000 units" instead of "recommended retail price". Ontop of that they like to present their single core boost clock as the "boost clock" instead of all core boost. This time they at least showed both in their presentation. AMD actually gives the real values for TDP at sustained boost, all core boost clock and rrp (although they use their own tricks for other values).
Are you saying both AMD and Intel are evil or what?
AMD similarly uses base clock for TDP, does not give real value as TDP for sustained boost and does not use all core boost clock for marketing but uses one core boost clock.

As far as prices go, Intel's retail prices have pretty much always been at a same or similar level as their RCP. 9000-series is kind of a fluke with excessive prices across the board for a while.

Low quality post by Earthplayer

Earthplayer

Are you saying both AMD and Intel are evil or what?
AMD similarly uses base clock for TDP, does not give real value as TDP for sustained boost and does not use all core boost clock for marketing but uses one core boost clock.
Yes I do say that both use misleading tactics (or as you put it "evil"). AMD uses minmal sustained boost clocks for TDP though (below max boost clocks but higher than base clock). This also shows in full load power consumption in the table I posted. Both Intel and AMD eat more than their TDP suggests - but AMD is closer to the real life power consumption / heat production because it at least uses minimal sustained boost to measure it rather than base clock.

This is why only looking at the TDP you
1) Can't say that intel would be "hotter" than AMD as "braggingrights" suggests (it simply is not true anymore - it used to be true but that time is in the past)
2) Can't decide on a cooling solution based on TDP if you actually want sustained max boost clocks. No matter if you go AMD or Intel. Most consumers without any knowledge buying a PC simply see "95TDP" and go for a 95 TDP rated cooling solution. It works for base clocks but the sustained boost clocks will be limited with it which they can only know if they had decent knowledge about it which most consumers won't have.

I really hate such shady tactics. Both Intel and AMD have been found guilty and payed fines for bad practices in other areas. Like Intel paying off PC and Laptop manufacturers a few years ago to not include AMD in their standard lineups. Intel is worse when it comes to overstating what their chips have to offer at the current time though. Some things were just opportunistic (like the pricing of the 9th gen and shortly after ryzen release cutting them in half) while others are simply distasteful as the examples I mentioned in my other post.

And on the RCP thing: Would be great if 9th gen was just a fluke and 10th gen will be cheap. Actually competitive pricing would mean even cheaper Zen 3 chips as AMD wants to keep the edge for price/performance. There are a lot more Intel users due to the lack of decent CPUs from AMD in recent years (before Ryzen). To make people who tend to go for the company with the thing they recently owned consider actually switching to AMD they want to stay ahead when it comes to price/performance. (it's sad how many people simply buy the product from x because they had product z from the same company in the past instead of doing a comparison before spending their money). That competition would be great!

Last edited:
Low quality post by Braggingrights
System Name THE FORTRESS
Audio Device(s) SOUND BLASTERX AE-5 - LOGITECH Z-5500 SPEAKERS - SENNHEISER HD598SE CANS
Keyboard LOGITECH K800
Software WIN10 PRO 64
Which tests are you talking about? You sound like the biggest intel fanboy with all your lies and argumentum ad hominem in almost every post. You are either uninformed or try to troll that guy that is almost as bad as you when it comes to argumentum ad hominem. It is very sad to see you attack each other like that even though it has nothing to do with hardware or the processors at that point.

Chips like the 3600/3600x/3700x consume a lot less power compared to their intel counterparts. Except for idle consumption, intel pulls slightly ahead there. (doesn't matter for us as we don't use our PCs just to browse the web - always gaming or working else turning it off) And the new 10th gen chips from Intel actually have a TDP for their baseclock and not boost. (this is why the "forced 95w TDP mode" shows a 3.5ghz clock compared to the 125w TDP at 3.8ghz) The turbo clock power consumption (power consumption = heat) goes above 200w on the 10700k. And that's just for the chip without anything else. You say AMD chips would be hotter than Intel chips which is simply not true.

For some power consumption (and hence heat production) tables see the link below. Same performance intel chips tend to run hotter/use more power than AMD chips (Zen 2).

The older Zen 1/Zen 1 + chips produced a lot more heat than the Zen 2 chips though. Which is to be expected when going down to 7nm with Zen 2. Zen 3 is going to be rather interesting. If you want to have the highest FPS numbers in games possible you could still go for an intel processor. But you will have to go with AMD if you don't want your system to basically be a heater, want it to be a lot more quiet and depending on where you live save a decent amount of money from your electricity bill (sure, USA has cheap electricity but most countries like mine have double to triple the cost per kwh - a 50w difference with 4 hours of high workload or gaming per day can easily eat 30-40€ per year where I live). A system which runs cooler, runs quiet, is cheaper and consumes less electricity is well worth a ~5% difference in framerate in most games. And games actually using 8 cores / 16 threads will become a lot better with the new console generation releasing soon which might mitigate that difference in the future or even turn the numbers around. Most CPU bound games currently have a larger issue with draw calls more than anything though so Vulkan/DX12 should fix the multithreading bottlenecks eventually. (doesn't matter if a game like Planet Coaster can use 16 threads if the draw calls are bound to a two threads bottlenecking even the best processors to below 60fps in lategame while two threads run at 100% and all others run at 30%)

And on the stability side of things: Early Ryzen chips definitly had issues. But BIOS updates and Chipset updates (download those directly from AMD - they almost always have a newer version than the motherboard manufacturer) fixed all common instabilities. Some people still have issues due to some very specific combination of hardware and software installed or some bad bios or windows settings but personally neither my wife (amd 3700x) nor me (intel 7700k) have had any issues. Neither of those systems had a BSOD in the past six months (got the 3700x back then, she was still on a 4770k before that) and both are used for gaming and heavy workloads (the PCs at work are bad and we work at a radiology department hence we like to run the 3D image calculation from the 256 slice low dose CT at our own PCs when doing homeoffice - the PCs at work are old enough to still run windows 98...). Can you have issues with a chip? Yes, my 2500k back in the day had BSOD issues even though it is supposedly one of the most stable processors from that time, simply lost the chip lottery back then. But I don't really see any issues with current ryzen 3000 processors. Don't know anyone who had issues with it either and we have a lot of "gamer friends" (kinda comes with working at a radiology, basically the only geeky part of hospitals where we live - makes it a lot of fun to work there as noone is opposed to have fun with an after work karaoke party or similar things - internists and other doctors we get to see sometimes are rather boring in comparison).

There are still reasons to go for intel but it's definitly not lower heat or stability anymore. Stability is the same and heat is far worse with 10th gen now and slightly worse with 9th gen compared to Zen 2. I still hope Zen 3 will be as much of a boost as promised in the roadmaps (Zen 2 delivered on the promises, but you can never know). At that point the pressure from both sides will be large enough to see massive price drops on both sides (like we saw with the cut in half prices from intel a short while ago).

Another thing: The prices of the 10th gen from the current presentation is a "cost per unit when buying 1000 units". The real market price normally is 15-20% higher at first. Intel is using the same trick they use for the TDP values. They go for the base instead of boost clock TDP and they go for the "if you buy 1000 units" instead of "recommended retail price". Ontop of that they like to present their single core boost clock as the "boost clock" instead of all core boost. This time they at least showed both in their presentation. AMD actually gives the real values for TDP at sustained boost, all core boost clock and rrp (although they use their own tricks for other values).
Low quality post by braggingrights, avert your eyes kids

Last edited:
Low quality post by Earthplayer

Earthplayer

So many words for: AMD loses gaming again

I stopped reading after 'fanboy', it betrays a certain intent, so don't worry, I can guess most of it
You just pretty much proved to everyone that you are just an uninformed fanboy just with that one comment, thanks for making it easy to dismiss anything you say as blatant lies without any data to back it up. You don't even know the facts and dismiss any data proving your wrong, insult people constantly and spread lies (likes Zen 2 producing more heat than 9th gen intel). You should be ashamed of yourself. :)

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Let's stop with the drama and name-calling please. It degrades the topics and devalues anything anyone has to say. Feel free to review our forum guidelines before posting further, thanks!

:toast:

Earthplayer

To put the whole heat argument to rest:
When it comes to lower power consumption, lower heat and hence lower noise level AMD wins. :) Don't trust TDP values on the box of companies. Intel and AMD both don't use the real power consumption values for those but Intel is a lot further away from the real watt usage than AMD hence on paper it looks like AMD would run hotter but in reality, in games, in benchmarks, in software AMD runs cooler than Intel. :)

System Name THE FORTRESS
Keyboard LOGITECH K800
Software WIN10 PRO 64
Apollo 11 was pretty hot too, LHC output is insane, Ferrari V12 phew

If only their thermals were better they'd be pretty impressive products

Processor 8700K @5.1GHz
Cooling Cooled by EK
Audio Device(s) Logitech
Mouse LOGITECH Gaming
Keyboard Logitech Gaming
To put the whole heat argument to rest:
When it comes to lower power consumption, lower heat and hence lower noise level AMD wins. :) Don't trust TDP values on the box of companies. Intel and AMD both don't use the real power consumption values for those but Intel is a lot further away from the real watt usage than AMD hence on paper it looks like AMD would run hotter but in reality, in games, in benchmarks, in software AMD runs cooler than Intel. :)

Just try running any Ryzen 3000 CPU at Intel 5GHz+ club speeds and see what happens?

Yes Intel H5 LGA 1200 socket platforms with broken PCIe 4.0 is finally given AMD 3000/4000 series a clear win!

All this changes with Intel H6 LGA 1700 socket platforms 12th/13th generations....with 16 cores big.Little and 10nm++ & 7nm+ is automatic win in power development once again! Even AMD upcoming 5nm AM5 platforms 5000/6000 series won't be able to complete against upcoming Intel H6 LGA 1700 socket.....

It's going to be a clear winner for Intel new architecture in the upcoming Intel Alder Lake and Intel Meteor Lake (12th & 13th generations)

Earthplayer

Apollo 11 was pretty hot too, LHC output is insane, Ferrari V12 phew

If only their thermals were better they'd be pretty impressive products
You started the heat argument to begin with and said AMD was running hotter. Glad to see you accepted that you were wrong though. :) Your comparisons are honestly rather insane though.

Anyways, I really hope Intel puts out some interesting processors with their 11th gen. Would be great to see both sides compete strong enough to see the prices drop further.

System Name THE FORTRESS
Keyboard LOGITECH K800
Software WIN10 PRO 64
You started the heat argument to begin with and said AMD was running hotter. Glad to see you accepted that you were wrong though. :) Your comparisons are honestly rather insane though.

Anyways, I really hope Intel puts out some interesting processors with their 11th gen. Would be great to see both sides compete strong enough to see the prices drop further.
What? based on that? even they said their result was meaningless :roll:

AMD hot, unstable and finicky in my experience, but some people are more forgiving of those things to save a few bucks, that's cool too

Processor 8700K @5.1GHz
Cooling Cooled by EK
Audio Device(s) Logitech
Mouse LOGITECH Gaming
Keyboard Logitech Gaming

Intel 11th gen "Rocket Lake" is still 14nm++ made by Samsung said to be 12 cores and a working PCIe 4.0 memory controller for the H5 LGA 1200 socket.

10nm++ Intel 12th gen "Alder Lake" is Intel next generation architecture! (Golden Cove cores) then 7nm+ Intel 13th generation "Meteor Lake" is basically Alder Lake Refresh to my knowledge.

Intel H6 LGA 1700 socket PCIe 5.0 with DDR5 and USB-4 and all the other goodies... VS AMD AM5 socket PCIe 5.0 with DDR5 and USB-4

Earthplayer

Intel 11th gen "Rocket Lake" is still 14nm++ made by Samsung said to be 12 cores and a working PCIe 4.0 memory controller for the H5 LGA 1200 socket.

10nm++ Intel 12th gen "Alder Lake" is Intel next generation architecture! (Golden Cove cores) then 7nm+ Intel 13th generation "Meteor Lake" is basically Alder Lake Refresh to my knowledge.

Intel H6 LGA 1700 socket PCIe 5.0 with DDR5 and USB-4 and all the other goodies... VS AMD AM5 socket PCIe 5.0 with DDR5 and USB-4
I thought they finally figured out their issues with 10nm? Those roadmaps seem to change every few months now instead of every year... Zen 3 should be cheap as it's still on AM4 but this scares me for Zen 4. I hope AMD will still stay true to their cheap pricing and make Zen 4 equally cheap even if Intel has nothing to offer to compete at that point. But maybe Intel has a trick up their sleeves, who knows. Will be interesting either way with DDR5, USB-4 and PCIe 5.0 coming up for consumer products. I hope they improve the lithography for the motherboards though. Else passive cooling PCIe 5.0 will be impossible. Not that we will need PCIe 5.0 any time soon for general consumers considering GPUs don't even need the full 3.0 x16 right now. But with the first consumer motherboards with 3.0 back in the day we didn't see any new 2.0 boards anymore after a short while even though it was plenty enough back then. But who knows. Maybe we see 4.0 alongside 5.0 for many years - cheap and medium tier boards with 4.0 and high tier with 5.0 only. Still want those lithography improvements. 12nm for the newer boards right now is a nice improvement over the old 28nm but there is still more than enough headroom for improvement even with current tech. After the 5 years of basically no improvements (compared to the jumps we saw before ) it's great to see huge steps being made in the processor and motherboard market though. :)

Processor 8700K @5.1GHz
Cooling Cooled by EK
Audio Device(s) Logitech
Mouse LOGITECH Gaming
Keyboard Logitech Gaming
I thought they finally figured out their issues with 10nm? Those roadmaps seem to change every few months now instead of every year... Zen 3 should be cheap as it's still on AM4 but this scares me for Zen 4. I hope AMD will still stay true to their cheap pricing and make Zen 4 equally cheap even if Intel has nothing to offer to compete at that point. But maybe Intel has a trick up their sleeves, who knows. Will be interesting either way with DDR5, USB-4 and PCIe 5.0 coming up for consumer products. I hope they improve the lithography for the motherboards though. Else passive cooling PCIe 5.0 will be impossible. Not that we will need PCIe 5.0 any time soon for general consumers considering GPUs don't even need the full 3.0 x16 right now. But with the first consumer motherboards with 3.0 back in the day we didn't see any new 2.0 boards anymore after a short while even though it was plenty enough back then. But who knows. Maybe we see 4.0 alongside 5.0 for many years - cheap and medium tier boards with 4.0 and high tier with 5.0 only. Still want those lithography improvements. 12nm for the newer boards right now is a nice improvement over the old 28nm but there is still more than enough headroom for improvement even with current tech. After the 5 years of basically no improvements (compared to the jumps we saw before ) it's great to see huge steps being made in the processor and motherboard market though. :)

AMD AM5 socket with (Zen4 & Zen5) on first generation 5nm. Intel has brand new architecture against it!! Intel brand new double the IPC cores "Golden Cove" in the 3rd generation 10nm++ (Alder Lake) and second generation 7nm+ (Meteor Lake) on New H6 LGA 1700 socket.

Intel purity much is going to wipe AMD AM5 5nm with Alder Lake and Meteor Lake with both based upon 16 cores big.Little and on high yielding 10nm++ & 7nm+ will automatically win power department!

Intel 12th and 13th generation will be similar to the 4 Cores 2700K & 3770K was but with 16 cores big.Little architecture is what's coming.

AMD AM5 will also lose backwards compatibility with AM4.... In fact even some Zen 3 AM4 is spotted having backwards compatibility issues too!

Last edited: