• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Core i9-12900KS Listed at $791 with 150W Processor Base Power

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
To answer your question about gaming, yes alderlake is insanely more efficient than zen 3, and not just in gaming but in every lightly threaded or mixed workload. You can check igorslab review or phoronix that run some efficiency benchmarks, alderlake wipes the floor with zen 3. The 5950x is only efficient in all core workloads, and thats mainly because of the insane pl2 limit intel decided to put into their cpu. But their actual architecture is very efficient

For example my 12900k @35w does 12600 on cbr23, beating even the m1 pro max in efficiency. The 5950x scores somewhere around HALF.
I suggest google what insanely means because what you are saying doesnt make sense. If the 5950x is efficient in all core then insanely should be just be removed. Especially if you test at 35w.
The efficiency does not scale linearly with performance or rather higher clocks. You wont keep your 12900k at 35w where the efficiency is would you?

System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Video Card(s) 4090 Gamerock oc
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Arya / a30 - d30 pro stack
Power Supply Be quiet dark power pro 1200
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
You wont keep your 12900k at 35w where the efficiency is would you?
If i actually cared about efficiency, i would. If i pretended to care about efficiency only to defend one cpu company over another like some people, i wouldnt.

If you care about efficiency first and foremost, alderlake is your man. No matter the task, be it gaming rendering encoding or any other professional or daily task, it does more work per watt. Period.

Obviously you did not read what I said and posted, After a whole month.

What I said was, Error cores are the shortest plank of a barrel
They DO make the barrel larger so holds more water ( more MT performance )
But they also hinder the performance of the taller planks ( The P cores )
Intel could build a barrel holding the same amount of water using taller planks only but they didn't.

Now the barrel have to use up more space (because it is FAT)
and the barrel is unstable (because there are holes between un-matching planks)

If you really want to argue,
Please watch Buildzoid 's analysis about Error-cores limiting ring clock and IMC performance test, also the Performance / Watt test and projections test.
Then we could start over.
Thats nonsense. Yes you can get more gaming performance with e cores off cause you can clock the cache higher, but you know in what scenario you can notice it? I kid you not, 720p dlss ultra perfromance with a 3090. Thats what i needed to run on cyberpunk to see if the higher cache makes a difference.

Im running a high overclocked cpu (5.3 all core) with 6000c32 manual tuned kits and a 3090 with 550w custom bios. Cant tell the difference with e cores on or off in gaming unless i drop to 32p resolution. For example, in cp the difference was 234 with e cores off and 217 with e cores on. You know what gpu youd need to get 220 fps on full rt ultra cyberpunk for the difference to even matter? I dunno, propably a 6090 or something

D

Deleted member 24505

I wasn't talking to you.

From you own words ,
You enjoy pissing into the wind ?

Seems it's you that cannot read or remember, i said "so imo you are pissing into the wind"

If i actually cared about efficiency, i would. If i pretended to care about efficiency only to defend one cpu company over another like some people, i wouldnt.

If you care about efficiency first and foremost, alderlake is your man. No matter the task, be it gaming rendering encoding or any other professional or daily task, it does more work per watt. Period.

Thats nonsense. Yes you can get more gaming performance with e cores off cause you can clock the cache higher, but you know in what scenario you can notice it? I kid you not, 720p dlss ultra perfromance with a 3090. Thats what i needed to run on cyberpunk to see if the higher cache makes a difference.

Im running a high overclocked cpu (5.3 all core) with 6000c32 manual tuned kits and a 3090 with 550w custom bios. Cant tell the difference with e cores on or off in gaming unless i drop to 32p resolution. For example, in cp the difference was 234 with e cores off and 217 with e cores on. You know what gpu youd need to get 220 fps on full rt ultra cyberpunk for the difference to even matter? I dunno, propably a 6090 or something

Ignore him, he is still sore about his 12400 :laugh:

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04

Then you just agreed to what I said, about the e-cores being the shortest plank of the barrel.

And
If you are so gaming focus, then you don't need e-cores in the first place.
The e-cores are there for bumping up the MT benchmark which, gaming doesn't need and, the presents of e-cores are hindering your cache performance, what you've mentioned.
The 12900k would be a much better gaming CPU if the e-cores are replaced with 2 big fat P-cores.

For MT workload,
Who wants a Hybrid CPU for MT workloads?
Myself doing rendering and heavy VM applications, I sure don't want a Hybrid CPU.
Who wants their money making workload getting slow down randomly just because the CPU itself decides to thrown the thread into subpar e-cores ?

Please consider the fact that Intel themselves don't put hybrid CPU into their mission critical MT workload Sapphire Rapids lineup, only pure P-core design there.

Seems it's you that cannot read or remember, i said "so imo you are pissing into the wind"

That's normal
Who pays attention to your troll reply.

D

Deleted member 24505

Then you just agreed to what I said, about the e-cores being the shortest plank of the barrel.

And
The e-cores are there for bumping up the MT benchmark which, gaming doesn't need and, the presents of e-cores are hindering your cache performance, what you've mentioned.
The 12900k would be a much better gaming CPU if the e-cores are replaced with 2 big fat P-cores.

For MT workload,
Myself doing rendering and heavy VM applications, I sure don't want a Hybrid CPU.
Who wants their money making workload getting slow down randomly just because the CPU itself decides to thrown the thread into subpar e-cores ?

Please consider the fact that Intel themselves don't put hybrid CPU into their mission critical MT workload Sapphire Rapids lineup, only pure P-core design there.

That's normal

Yup 14K troll comments, jog on. I won't reply to your jabber any more ok.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%

And

For MT workload,

That's normal
Yes, i agree that if i had a 6090 gpu i would disable the ecores. I dont, i have 3090 so it doesn't really matter ubless i drop to like, dunno, literally 240p or something

Im willing to bet that even with a 4090 at 1080p you wont see a difference.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim

I'm not defending any company because like the companies, defending them wont bring me anything from it. Hope you do. I disagree with INSANELY efficient because counterparts does not fare off by much in that regard. So if there is a case in which it is efficient like 35w, it is not for me so thanks but that's not my man.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
I'm not defending any company because like the companies, defending them wont bring me anything from it. Hope you do. I disagree with INSANELY efficient because counterparts does not fare off by much in that regard. So if there is a case in which it is efficient like 35w, it is not for me so thanks but that's not my man.
Great, so you dont care about efficiency. Neither do I, I only care about perfromance thats why i bought the 12900k

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Great, so you dont care about efficiency. Neither do I, I only care about perfromance thats why i bought the 12900k
Yes I kinda dont. I bought two Threadripper for performance and yet you may disagree they are efficient in the workload i throw at them and pretty fast. To be clear, I dont play on them. I don't understand why gaming is the new efficiency test around here either. Because that is what you where talking about right? Lightly threaded and gaming. Try loading it up to the brim for a while.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
Yes I kinda dont. I bought two Threadripper for performance and yet you may disagree they are efficient in the workload i throw at them and pretty fast. To be clear, I dont play on them. I don't understand why gaming is the new efficiency test around here either. Because that is what you where talking about right? Lightly threaded and gaming. Try loading it up to the brim.
Nope, was talking about everything. There is not a single task on planet earth that a 12900k with appropriate power limits isnt the most efficient cpu on planet earth (talking about mainstream cpus, the TRs might be better, have no idea honestly).

A 12900k @35w for example scores 12600 on cbr23. Thats 360 point per watt, its untouchable.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Nope, was talking about everything. There is not a single task on planet earth that a 12900k with appropriate power limits isnt the most efficient cpu on planet earth (talking about mainstream cpus, the TRs might be better, have no idea honestly).

A 12900k @35w for example scores 12600 on cbr23. Thats 360 point per watt, its untouchable.
What do you mean appropriate? I understand that as stock. it does show some efficiency here and there. OC it and it goes out.
35w again. It is a desktop processor. This metric is useless for a desktop computer you know. It is like arguing which one is more efficient at idle.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
What do you mean appropriate? I understand that as stock. it does show some efficiency here and there. OC it and it goes out.
35w again. It is a desktop processor. This metric is useless for a desktop computer you know. It is like arguing which one is more efficient at idle.
Why is 35w useless if you care about efficiency? Lets say it scores 25k cbr23 at 35w and 27k at 240w, would that be useless? I argue it wouldnt i would be running it at 35w all day long.

Again, if you care about efficiency then the most efficient cpu is the 12900k.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Why is 35w useless if you care about efficiency? Lets say it scores 25k cbr23 at 35w and 27k at 240w, would that be useless? I argue it wouldnt i would be running it at 35w all day long.

Again, if you care about efficiency then the most efficient cpu is the 12900k.
I'm sorry. If i wanted an efficient chip i would have gone for a laptop based computer. I went with a desktop for a reason. So I'd rather use stock setting and measure efficiency/performance not necessarily focusing on gaming and lightly threaded apps as a metric with a 35w cap on it.
You are absolutely missing the point here. You cant say F1 is efficient in fuel consumption when you drive 20Mph would you?
Just because it is efficient in 35w it does not mean it still is when the power goes to 125w which is the ballpark of this processor. And so that Insanely efficient is incorrect and that is what bothers me with your statement because that's stretching the truth about the CPU and what it's supposed to be for.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
I'm sorry. If i wanted an efficient chip i would have gone for a laptop based computer. I went with a desktop for a reason. So I'd rather use stock setting and measure efficiency/performance not necessarily focusing on gaming and lightly threaded apps as a metric with a 35w cap on it.
You are absolutely missing the point here. You cant say F1 is efficient in fuel consumption when you drive 20Mph would you?
Just because it is efficient in 35w it does not mean it still is when the power goes to 125w which is the ballpark of this processor. And so that Insanely efficient is incorrect and that is what bothers me with your statement because that's stretching the truth about the CPU and what it's supposed to be for.
Again, i think you are the one missing my point. If your first concern IS efficiency then yes, youd care about maximizing score per watt. And the 12900k is the best cpu at that on planet earth. If you don't care at all or dont care that much about efficiency then why are we even having this discussion

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
I want to see some BIOS screen shots from the people that got their 12900KS chips early from BLT.
Hi,
Doubt bios are any different from 12900k or even 11900k.
Online manuals are readily available.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Keyboard G710+x3
I mean really from an Asus ROG BIOS that shows SP rating.
Hi,
Okay yep asus is the only manufacture that does prediction evaluation that I know of.

12900K can be efficient just not stock at full load without power limits. I mean Ryzen can also use power limits and adjust things to be more efficient in turn as well. People buy hardware parts generally around full performance expected expectations not to undervolt them underclock them and run them below stock performance. That's much more of a niche thing to do so much so in fact that more people who buy hardware overclock them which further hinders stock efficiency in most instance unless they try to eek out a bit of extra efficiency from a minor tuning of voltages with a undervolt and slight overclock because CPU engineers didn't eek out every last bit of performance and efficiency from every individual chip. I mean silicone lottery is silicone lottery not all chips within the same SKU are created equal in that regard. There is a point where it's not cost effective for them to spend the time to do so and ensure stability even with all the tools and resources they have available.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Again, i think you are the one missing my point. If your first concern IS efficiency then yes, youd care about maximizing score per watt. And the 12900k is the best cpu at that on planet earth. If you don't care at all or dont care that much about efficiency then why are we even having this discussion
Yeah at 35w power sure but in the MT apparently it is not that efficient as you say unfortunately. The Ecores help with efficiency in MT or like you say light threads and gaming but if you have some heavy MT load for a noticeable time, the efficiency goes away. Efficiency is not just power draw you know.
We have this discussion since you said INSANELY efficient remember? I disagree with that statement and you have not convinced me with your 35w story.

Last edited:
System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
Yeah at 35w power sure but in the MT apparently it is not that efficient as you say unfortunately. The Ecores help with efficiency in MT or like you say light threads and gaming but if you have some heavy MT load for a noticeable time, the efficiency goes away. Efficiency is not just power draw you know.
We have this discussion since you said INSANELY efficient remember? I disagree with that statement and you have not convinced me with your 35w story.
What so you mean in the mt it's not that efficient? It scores 12600 on cinebench r23 at 35 watts. That's multithreaded, and its the most efficient cpu on planet earth

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
What so you mean in the mt it's not that efficient? It scores 12600 on cinebench r23 at 35 watts. That's multithreaded, and its the most efficient cpu on planet earth
Ok. 35w for a 12600 and 12900k it is. Perhaps Intel should have locked those to 35w why even bother with 125 and up.

Keyboard G710+x3
Ok. 35w for a 12600 and 12900k it is. Perhaps Intel should have locked those to 35w why even bother with 125 and up.
Hi,
Because intel is not trying to be efficient they're just trolling amd's prior performance numbers.
11900k was just to match or beat amd's 5k single core performance
12900k was just to match or beat amd's 5k muticore core performance
12900ks is just another quick release in front of amd's 3d cache chips that are supposed to match or beat intel's 12900k gaming performance.

One can alter default system bios on just about any system so this is not a new concept
What is new is people asking like they don't know what "stock verses stock" comparisons mean.

For those 35w people, stock means using Optimize defaults in bios and run what ever test you want to and prove your chip is more efficient than another.