• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Iris Plus Graphics G7 iGPU Beats AMD RX Vega 10: Benchmarks

Nice that Intel is finally reaching iVega performance (Zen+), however AFAIK Renoir (Zen 2 APU) is behind the corner ;)
Renoir will still use Vega, albeit there is a chance it'll support fast LPDDR4X just like Ice Lake.

Intel finally caught up with AMD in IGP performance, i.e. they can offer a similarly powerful solution in mainstream laptops.

Desktops are a different story. I really doubt they'll put such a fast IGP in mainstream CPUs. It doesn't make much sense.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Now I know the problem, the laptop Ryzen APU is limited to DDR4-2400MHz while the i7-1065G7 in this review uses LPDDR4X-3733MHz. That is a massive memory bandwidth advantage on the Intel side.

Lets see it at 2400.

System Name Baxter
Processor Intel i7-5775C @ 4.2 GHz 1.35 V
Motherboard ASRock Z97-E ITX/AC
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3 with Noctua NF-A12 fan
Memory 16 GB 2400 MHz CL11 HyperX Savage DDR3
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black @ 1950 MHz
Storage 1 TB Sabrent Rocket 2242 NVMe SSD (boot), 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO, and 4TB Toshiba X300 7200 RPM HDD
Display(s) Vizio P65-F1 4KTV (4k60 with HDR or 1080p120)
Case Raijintek Ophion
Audio Device(s) HDMI PCM 5.1, Vizio 5.1 surround sound
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum 600 W SFX PSU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G613 and Microsoft Media Keyboard
Lets see it at 2400.

What would be the point in purposefully reducing the memory speed on the Intel offering? Ideally they should be testing on whatever is available on the market, so if that is 3733 MT/s RAM then that is the performance we care about.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
What would be the point in purposefully reducing the memory speed on the Intel offering? Ideally they should be testing on whatever is available on the market, so if that is 3733 MT/s RAM then that is the performance we care about.

So we can see whether the Intel IGP is better than the AMD IGP when the rest of the systems are as close to equal as possible? My Civic is faster than your Mustang when I fill up with gas and you fill up with water.

What's the point? They designed this architecture to support fast RAM. It's an advantage they've earned.

Why didn't you demand tests of Vega 64 on GDDR5 instead of HBM2? :)

While I concede to the fact that this Intel chip officially supports faster memory, your Vega64 example is quite silly. You can change system RAM around in a computer all day. What you cannot do, however, is pluck memory off of a video card and install your own... of a different type, no less.

While I concede to the fact that this Intel chip officially supports faster memory, your Vega64 example is quite silly. You can change system RAM around in a computer all day. What you cannot do, however, is pluck memory off of a video card and install your own... of a different type, no less.

So you have a low end IGP with high-end memory, and your IGP has no clue on how to fully tax that high-end memory. Really if you overclocked GDDR ram in general on video cards, does that bring any more performance to the table? Or do you agree that the gains are really minimal?

The only way to extract more out of a IGP is something like a MXM card or a HBM2 stack of chips on top of the chip. Otherwise your always bound to much slower DDR(4) memory which is often castrated in speeds and timings, due to cost / space / TDP savings.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I like that Intel is trying to take IGPs seriously now, but the Iris Plus (GT3e, or even just GT3) graphics aren't what end up in the majority of laptops and desktops. Most people end up with mainstream GT2 graphics with half the shaders, no eDRAM cache, and probably with the cheapest single-channel memory the OEM can find. In terms of units shipped and OEM design wins, Iris graphics make up a tiny sub-5% portion of the market, filling a niche that doesn't exist; Expecting your new laptop to have Iris Plus or Iris Pro is foolish because in terms of design wins and retail availability, you have extremely limited choice of which models come with the relevant intel CPU.

If people want ultraportable graphics performance they buy either a Ryzen-U APU or move on up to the MX150/MX250 options. If they don't want graphics performance they'll be buying something with a ULV Intel processor that likely has a severely downclocked GT2 implementation, starved of performance by the TDP limits of a thin ultraportable. The minute your requirements extend to bulkier laptops, there are dGPUs with vastly superior performance at competitive prices compared to the more expensive higher-end Intel CPUs with Iris graphics, so the Iris graphics niche is tiny and borderline irrelevant.

What Intel really need to do is focus on making their GT2 IGPs perform well with low memory bandwidth and no embedded cache.
That's what AMD did with Raven Ridge; Vega 8 with even slower RAM is acceptable for low-def mainstream gaming as long as the TDP isn't too restrictive (20W gets 90% of the performance available, 15W models struggle once the STAPM threshold is reached). Once you add faster, dual-channel RAM, even the MX150 looks unnecessary - and that's just talking about an 18-month old, lower-end Raven Ridge model. The newer Picasso Ryzen 7 3700U on 12nm is even more efficient and that gets decent performance out of just 15W.

Last edited:
System Name just ordinary potato system, but dont understimate potato..
Processor ryzen raven ridge 2200g, ryzen 2600 upgrade:)
Motherboard msi b350 pc mate, biostars a320, asrock ab350m micro
Cooling x2 cheap china handmade, i got plenty aigo/fantech rgb fans now heh
Memory klevv dual channel 8gb 3000mhz, trident 16gb 3600mhz, random ddr2 stick
Video Card(s) back to square, using vega 56 now:D
Storage wd green ssd 240gb, 3tb seagate expnasion, random laptop hdd x4, 1tb 3.5
Display(s) acer vgo 22inch fullhd 75hz
Case cheap segotep/dazumba mid atx, alcatroz mini atx
Audio Device(s) genius retro wood style, harman kardon stick iii
Power Supply be quite system power9, powerlogic standar, voltron 300fx, thermaltake smart 1200w
Mouse rexus, genius ps/2, powerlogic ps/2 ball tracking
Keyboard rexus, random china product x3
Software talking abt best software, autodesk/unity3d/notepad yes notepad!!
Benchmark Scores theres nothing to brag abt potato, but it can run decent 30fps fullhd with good setting:)
wow this might be huge step on intel, finnaly we have decent intergrated intel :)

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M-S2H
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu Mark II
Memory 2 x 16GB SK Hynix OEM DDR4-3200 @ 3666 18-20-18-36
Video Card(s) Colorful RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB
Storage 250GB WD BLACK SN750 M.2 + 4TB WD Red Plus + 4TB WD Purple
Display(s) AOpen 27HC5R 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case COUGAR MX440 Mesh RGB
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium HD + Kurtzweil KS-40A bookshelf
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Cougar Attack2 Cherry MX Black
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H1 x64
I like that Intel is trying to take IGPs seriously now, but the Iris Plus (GT3e, or even just GT3) graphics aren't what end up in the majority of laptops and desktops. Most people end up with mainstream GT2 graphics with half the shaders, no eDRAM cache, and probably with the cheapest single-channel memory the OEM can find. In terms of units shipped and OEM design wins, Iris graphics make up a tiny sub-5% portion of the market, filling a niche that doesn't exist; Expecting your new laptop to have Iris Plus or Iris Pro is foolish because in terms of design wins and retail availability, you have extremely limited choice of which models come with the relevant intel CPU.
That is the problem with a lot of laptops, not just Intel but AMD as well. Most of the reviews uses the best laptops of the bunch when testing for new gen CPU/APU while the majority of other cheaper laptops uses non upgradeable (sometimes) soldered single channel memory, neutered TDP rating with tiny cooler that can't maintain boost for long and throttle when both iGPU and CPU portion is put under load.

But you can dial down HBM2 to minimize Vega's memory advantage.

And it's not like you could magically test Ice Lake-U with desktop DDR4 anyway. In fact, most (if not all) Ice Lake-U notebooks shown to date are ultrabooks with soldered RAM.
That is the problem with a lot of laptops, not just Intel but AMD as well. Most of the reviews uses the best laptops of the bunch when testing for new gen CPU/APU while the majority of other cheaper laptops uses non upgradeable (sometimes) soldered single channel memory, neutered TDP rating with tiny cooler that can't maintain boost for long and throttle when both iGPU and CPU portion is put under load.
I wouldn't call that "a problem". It's a property.
In laptops performance is always adjusted for power consumption target or cooling limitations. There's a huge variance in performance on the same components.

Laptop users are more feature-oriented and they tolerate this (and the fact that one should read a review of the particular - not similar - laptop).
Desktop users are more performance-oriented.