• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Launches SSD 665p "Neptune Harbor Refresh" Line of M.2 NVMe SSDs

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Inb4 people whining about 2GB/s being slow when people with actual brains know that it's random R/W that's the most important metric, and that Intel has done an incredible job on their SLC cache.

... damn, too late.

Inb4 people complaining about QLC because it's new and new things scare them?

Damn again.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
Inb4 people whining about 2GB/s being slow when people with actual brains know that it's random R/W that's the most important metric, and that Intel has done an incredible job on their SLC cache.

... damn, too late.

Inb4 people complaining about QLC because it's new and new things scare them?

Damn again.

The first 3 letters of your name really sum you up dude.

It is a slow drive, and for not much more money, you can get something superior.

QLC is shit, simple as. And again, why have it, when paying just a little more means you get TLC?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
It is a slow drive, and for not much more money, you can get something superior.

You show me a 1TB SSD that is superior for "not much more" than $83.

As you go up, the option is the Crucial P1 at $96, but it's QLC too. The next one up is the XPG SX6000 Lite for $98. It's TLC(yay!) but dramless(aww) so it's actually slower than the QLC drives. Then the Teamgroup MP33 for $100, oh wait TLC and dramless again... The first drive you get to that is TLC and had a dram cache is the Sabrent Rocket and it's $120. You're looking at almost 50% more in price before you get to something that's actually superior.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.

It's not slow. It's still faster in every meaningful consumer way than every single one of the market-dominating SATA drives. As for your definition of "not much more money", that is simply wrong; If you're going to use heavily discounted TLC drives as a comparison, you need to measure them against the promotional discount prices of the 660p too, not the MSRP. Looking at pricetracker histories, rather than one-off comparisons, the cost of the 660p has been consistently 25-30% lower than the cheapest TLC equivalent (SX8200).

Yes, you are right if a decent TLC drive is on sale at a discount and the 660p is not discounted, but that's a no-brainer. Apples-to-apples comparison, the 660p is significantly, meaningfully cheaper than both NVMe and SATA TLC drives.

QLC is shit, simple as. And again, why have it, when paying just a little more means you get TLC?

People said TLC was shit, and now look at them holding up TLC as the gold standard! Both TLC and QLC write to SLC anyway, and if you run out of SLC cache, you're probably not doing consumer things with your consumer drive, so that's on you. Even a TLC drive will choke and embarass itself once the SLC cache is full, that's why there are still MLC enterprise drives with 30%+ of spare area. They're hard to find in the consumer market because their costs are as high as they always used to be, so utterly unappealing to the consumer market and withdrawn from sale.

You show me a 1TB SSD that is superior for "not much more" than $83.

As you go up, the option is the Crucial P1 at $96, but it's QLC too. The next one up is the XPG SX6000 Lite for $98. It's TLC(yay!) but dramless(aww) so it's actually slower than the QLC drives. Then the Teamgroup MP33 for $100, oh wait TLC and dramless again... The first drive you get to that is TLC and had a dram cache is the Sabrent Rocket and it's $120. You're looking at almost 50% more in price before you get to something that's actually superior.
It's not slow. It's still faster in every meaningful consumer way than every single one of the market-dominating SATA drives. As for your definition of "not much more money", that is simply wrong; If you're going to use heavily discounted TLC drives as a comparison, you need to measure them against the promotional discount prices of the 660p too, not the MSRP. Looking at pricetracker histories, rather than one-off comparisons, the cost of the 660p has been consistently 25-30% lower than the cheapest TLC equivalent (SX8200).

Yes, you are right if a decent TLC drive is on sale at a discount and the 660p is not discounted, but that's a no-brainer. Apples-to-apples comparison, the 660p is significantly, meaningfully cheaper than both NVMe and SATA TLC drives.

People said TLC was shit, and now look at them holding up TLC as the gold standard! Both TLC and QLC write to SLC anyway, and if you run out of SLC cache, you're probably not doing consumer things with your consumer drive, so that's on you. Even a TLC drive will choke and embarass itself once the SLC cache is full, that's why there are still MLC enterprise drives with 30%+ of spare area. They're hard to find in the consumer market because their costs are as high as they always used to be, so utterly unappealing to the consumer market and withdrawn from sale.
Well all i can say then is that regional pricing sucks for TLC then. Then again QLC appears much more expensive in Europe where the cheapest 1TB QLC is ~99€ and the cheapest 1TB TLC (with DRAM cache btw) is ~120€. That's only 20% more expensive but has at least quadruple if not more the TBW value. Doubles the read speed and has more than 50% better write speed. Plus DDR4 for 1GB DRAM cache vs DDR3 on the QLC drives.

Proof: https://geizhals.eu/?cmp=1907687&cmp=1859204&cmp=2078647&cmp=1907832&cmp=2104623

So choosing between Crucial P1 and Corsair MP510 is would choose the Corsair. If the Crucial drive was ~80€ then it would be 50% cheaper and worth the compromises but for 20% less i just dont see the point. For people on a tight budget QLC is pointless as i can get a sub 20€ 120GB SATA based TLC drive with DRAM cache. Those people do not need the NVME speed anyway or won't notice the difference. I would have a hard time convincing them that they need to pay 80% more for 1TB NVME regardless if it's QLC or not.

When it comes to perception then that all changes with time. First drives with new standard are never recommended. TLC was crap before Samsung perfected it and others followed. Even MLC had it's problems at first. QLC is no different.