• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Microcode Boot Loader

In early 2018, security researchers discovered several security vulnerabilities affecting all processors: Meltdown and Spectre.

Has there yet been any documented instance of anyone being negatively affected by Spectre / Meltdown who has ignore all the patches and workarounds ?

System Name BOX
Processor Core i7 6950X @ 4,26GHz (1,28V)
Motherboard X99 SOC Champion (BIOS F23c + bifurcation mod)
Cooling Thermalright Venomous-X + 2x Delta 38mm PWM (Push-Pull)
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 4x8GB (@3240MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @ 1,48V)
Video Card(s) Titan V (~1650MHz @ 0.77V, HBM2 1GHz, Forced P2 state [OFF])
Storage WD SN850X 2TB + Samsung EVO 2TB (SATA) + Seagate Exos X20 20TB (4Kn mode)
Display(s) LG 27GP950-B
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Motu M4 (audio interface) + ATH-A900Z + Behringer C-1
Power Supply Seasonic X-760 (760W)
Mouse Logitech RX-250
Keyboard HP KB-9970
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Both in BIOS/UEFI and Windows Update ?

xerces8

Windows update only has microcode updates in Windows 10. Many people (around 50%) still use older Windows.

A working solution for UEFI systems:
- boot Intel BITS (in BIOS legacy mode)
- there update the CPU microcode
- chainload Clover EFI bootloader (BITS is grub2, so it is easy)
- from there boot youe EFI Windows (or other OS)

Clover can start in legacy mode and then swith to UEFI mode, this makes this trick work.

powered _by_Trex

Sorry for the late bump.. but I could use your wise bits about using Intel Microcode Boot Loader.

What I have accomplished so far:
Made a bootable usb - copied the folder contents -ran the IMBL program and it installs successfully.

Device to be run on --->> Prehistoric laptop from 2007-2008.
Fujitsu siemens amilo pi 2530
Bios Type: Phoenix BIOS

When I try and run it on the laptop it goes into grub recovery with the error below.
The error is /boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod normal.mod not found.

(hd0,msdos1) This is where the boot(MBR) is installed (Boot only, OS files are on another partition).

When I run ls command all the other partitions give this error Error: unknown filesystem.
the OS is installed on (hd0,msdos2). ---> Error: unknown filesystem.
(hd0,msdos3) ---> Error: unknown filesystem.
(hd0,msdos5) ---> Error: unknown filesystem.

PS:
UBU won't work on that machine so can't run that.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/intel-microcode-boot-loader.248858/reply

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Sorry for the late bump.. but I could use your wise bits about using Intel Microcode Boot Loader.

What I have accomplished so far:
Made a bootable usb - copied the folder contents -ran the IMBL program and it installs successfully.

Device to be run on --->> Prehistoric laptop from 2007-2008.
Fujitsu siemens amilo pi 2530
Bios Type: Phoenix BIOS

When I try and run it on the laptop it goes into grub recovery with the error below.
The error is /boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod normal.mod not found.

(hd0,msdos1) This is where the boot(MBR) is installed (Boot only, OS files are on another partition).

When I run ls command all the other partitions give this error Error: unknown filesystem.
the OS is installed on (hd0,msdos2). ---> Error: unknown filesystem.
(hd0,msdos3) ---> Error: unknown filesystem.
(hd0,msdos5) ---> Error: unknown filesystem.

PS:
UBU won't work on that machine so can't run that.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/intel-microcode-boot-loader.248858/reply
Your system must have special recovery parititon as 1st partition. That's probably the problem.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Has there yet been any documented instance of anyone being negatively affected by Spectre / Meltdown who has ignore all the patches and workarounds ?
Hi,
Necro time lol

No not in the least bit win-7 daily on four machines disable with Inspectre on all windows systems even 10 systems for any performance killing crap although I don't use 10 for much other than benchmarks.

GRC | InSpectre

powered _by_Trex

Your system must have special recovery parititon as 1st partition. That's probably the problem.
Thanks for the quick reply, yes it does have a separate recovery partition. Should I try the HD install method or is there a work around with USB?

*Edit
Made some progress..
All errors have disappeared and when it boots it now boots to the grub prompt not the grub recovery prompt :)
When I type Exit it boots into windows.

My question is .. does it actually load the cpu microcode when I type exit and loads windows like that?

Last edited:

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Thanks for the quick reply, yes it does have a separate recovery partition. Should I try the HD install method or is there a work around with USB?

*Edit
Made some progress..
All errors have disappeared and when it boots it now boots to the grub prompt not the grub recovery prompt :)
When I type Exit it boots into windows.

My question is .. does it actually load the cpu microcode when I type exit and loads windows like that?
Check the BIOS settings for hard drive order and set the USB HDD as 1st boot and drive. Sometimes there are several options.

Your hard drive might have non-standard partition layout. Some vendors have unique partition with OS installation files.

powered _by_Trex

The boot order is set and there seems to be a mess in the partitions.

(hd0,msdos1)has the boot loader
(hd0,msdos2)has a bootloader as well(just incase hehehe) and OS.

I'm trying these commands in grub but won't budge :confused:

set prefix=(hd0,msdos1)/boot/grub
set root=(hd0,msdos1)
insmod normal
normal

also tried

set prefix=(hd0,msdos2)/boot/grub
set root=(hd0,msdos2)
insmod normal
normal

***Edit***

NVM. Solved it !!

The usb method wasn't working so opted to do it the localdrive method. Followed the instructions included in zip and now it works like a charm :peace:.
Updated the microcode to the latest 2021 version in \boot\mcu.

Thanks for the support and for this great tool.

Last edited:

Ludwig von Ay

Thank you Regeneration. I didn't know abaout those repositories.

I'll try to find the matching ucode later when I get access to that computer.

@Regeneration - Thanks for your tool described in this thread. I look forward to trying it soon.

Does you Intel Microcode Boot Loader solution allow for updated microcode after hibernation or sleep/standby? For sleep/standby, my understanding is that states S2, S3, and S4 turn off the CPU.

I installed Intel Microcode Boot Loader 0.5.4 onto a 128 MB USB 2.0 flash drive with a FAT32 filesystem-formatted partition and connected it to one of my computer's motherboard USB 2.0 ports. The motherboard is a Gigabyte P55-USB3 Revision 2.0 motherboard (see https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-P55-USB3-rev-20 for motherboard product page) and the CPU is an Intel Core i7-870 processor (CPUID: 106E5). The motherboard uses BIOS and not UEFI. I have five hard disks connected; each uses a SATA interface and has a single partition that is of Primary partition type that is formatted to NTFS filesystem. I believe that the operating system that I wish to usually boot, Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3, after microcode load, is installed to the third connected SATA hard disk's partition.

After setting the flash drive with Intel Microcode Boot Loader 0.5.4 to boot first, the drive was able to boot, but seemed to not do what it was supposed to do afterwards. The screen text was as follows, with the first "..." omission indicator being mine (the second one is actually real output):
SYSLINUX 6.03 EDD...
Loading /boot/grub/lnxcore.img... ok

Welcome to GRUB!
error: no such partition.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

Upon getting the error, it was not clear to me how to fix the problem. I am unfamiliar with grub or Linux other than Android.

What must be done to get Intel Microcode Boot Loader 0.5.4 to function properly and have microcode reliably updated and operating system loaded?
I was also wondering, how does Intel Microcode Boot Loader 0.5.4 determine what to boot on computers that have many operating systems installed?