• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Puts Ohio Fab Groundbreaking Ceremony on Hold, Indefinitely

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
@looniam apologies for misunderstanding the last part.

I think you also misunderstood what I wrote. As I said, your local publications aren't wrong, the fab construction will start as intended, but if Intel doesn't get its government money, they'll make sure it's not done according to plan, so they can blame it on the government, while making sure their new German fab gets done first, so they can say "hey, look what happens when we get subsidies".

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
There is no bigger fool than someone that trusts in politicians promisses. Should have made sure to get everything in writing.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
There is no bigger fool than someone that trusts in politicians promisses. Should have made sure to get everything in writing.
This applies to individuals and companies too, as you can't really trust anyone. At least that's what I've learnt after being screwed over far too many times.
Then again, having things in writing means nothing if you can't afford to take them to court.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
This applies to individuals and companies too, as you can't really trust anyone. At least that's what I've learnt after being screwed over far too many times.
Then again, having things in writing means nothing if you can't afford to take them to court.
Never trust anyone who earns more than you do - a general rule of life for everyone.

Just trade and everyone is gonna be friends, is an illusion. Without forms of deterrence, you'll lose.
You can still lose if the US decides to ban exports of these chips! Though it's highly unlikely wrt US banning anything to Europe. I'd argue it's much better to invest in RISC V or even ARM & develop true competitors to the major chipmakers but as a short term solution there's no getting around x86 right now.

Last edited:
You can still lose if the US decides to ban exports of these chips! Though it's highly unlikely wrt US banning anything to Europe. I'd argue it's much better to invest in RISC V or even ARM & developer true competitors to the major chipmakers but as a short term solution there's no getting around x86 right now.
I would say in the consumer space worldwide x86 has been relegated with around 30-40% market share of internet connected devices.
CCF04ACB-0DC8-4F8E-811C-336E40DD4536.jpeg

Enterprise is a different story where x86 still reigns supreme.

Wow, just wow. :mad:
I was being sarcastic and I don't expect Pat to seriously hope that Taiwan will get invaded, if anything else because Intel is going to use TSMC's services for the next few years, but we don't live at the end of history and even before the war in Ukraine Pat had warned people about the geopolitical risks inherent in depending on a country with very limited international recognition and that is claimed by its large neighbour as part of its borders. The war in Ukraine has vindicated his warnings, in my opinion, after all Xi Jiping is looking more and more like an autocrat who could disregard the short term damage in favour of a long term ideological design, not unlike Putin.

bogmali

In Orbe Terrum Non Visi
System Name Daily Driver/Part Time
Processor Core i7-13700K/Ryzen R5-7600
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX/Asrock B650 Pro RS Wi-Fi
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT AIO/Deep Cool LS-520 White
Memory Patriot 2x16GB DDR5-7200/XPG Lancer Blade 2X16GB DDR-5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX-4080 Super/Sapphire Radeon RX-7800XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe 2TB/KingSpec XG 7000 4TB M.2 NVMe/Crucial P5 Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW
Case Corsair 5000d AirFlow/Asus AP201 White
Audio Device(s) AudioEngine D1 DAC/Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 1K Watt/Seagotep 750W
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard Adata XPG Summoner
Software Win11 Pro 64
Benchmark Scores Xbox Live Gamertag=jondonken
Thread cleansed for the last time, there have been two warnings about keeping politics out of this but since some continue to not care-next post that I delete/LQ will automatically earn a 25 pointer.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I would say in the consumer space worldwide x86 has been relegated with around 30-40% market share of internet connected devices.
View attachment 252468
Enterprise is a different story where x86 still reigns supreme.
That graph is clearly misleading when it comes to Linux, as more and more things in people's home are Linux based. Everything from your router to your smarthome devices run Linux. As such, Linux should have at least 10%, if not more.

I was being sarcastic and I don't expect Pat to seriously hope that Taiwan will get invaded, if anything else because Intel is going to use TSMC's services for the next few years, but we don't live at the end of history and even before the war in Ukraine Pat had warned people about the geopolitical risks inherent in depending on a country with very limited international recognition and that is claimed by its large neighbour as part of its borders. The war in Ukraine has vindicated his warnings, in my opinion, after all Xi Jiping is looking more and more like an autocrat who could disregard the short term damage in favour of a long term ideological design, not unlike Putin.
It didn't exactly come across that way. As someone living in the middle of this, it's also not particularly amusing.

As for Intel warning about things, well, they have something to gain from doing so, especially if they decide to go full in on offering foundry services.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Absolute power corrupts absolutely. It's always been the case that if you give someone a little bit of power, they'll always want more. To deny this is to deny human nature.

It's the same with money. It doesn't matter how much you have; you'll always want more.
Its only a tool for survival, if anything were to happen like it does in FotNS, money/jewels would be useless.

so? bloomberg and cnbc also got it wrong.

it seems you missed that.

i mean really? i have to argue for the point of the reporters; who are at the state's capital, getting information first hand from both parties, intel and gov dewine w/senator rob portman, over some national reporters that [probably] only read intel's arizona announcements?

meh.

c'mon, ceremonial ground breaking start of construction. intel is just drawing attention back to themselves as some rubes and morons have been getting the headlines over here lately.
Like how they continue to dangle the carrot into making suckers think Arc is the gpu saviour (wtf would they launch in china first???)

Most ewaste in computers comes from motherboards. Due to greed and lazy planning, Intel pushes a new socket more than anyone else.
Every other year they are.

They started this bs right after Skt 7 because they were getting their keisters handed to them by Advanced Micro Devices.

D

Deleted member 24505

Its only a tool for survival, if anything were to happen like it does in FotNS, money/jewels would be useless.

Like how they continue to dangle the carrot into making suckers think Arc is the gpu saviour (wtf would they launch in china first???)

Every other year they are.

They started this bs right after Skt 7 because they were getting their keisters handed to them by Advanced Micro Devices.
What is the problem with changing sockets. You buy a new gen CPU and it needs a new socket, so what. Rather put a new CPU in a board you have had for 5 years...yeah right.

Keister's handed to them, you mean like AMD did for 10+ years? Only Ryzen saved them from history.

Personally I have no problem buying a new board to go with a new CPU, But I guess there are a lot who begrudge buying a board to go with a new CPU even if it might actually be beneficial because of new chipset features.

Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
What is the problem with changing sockets. You buy a new gen CPU and it needs a new socket, so what. Rather put a new CPU in a board you have had for 5 years...yeah right.

Keister's handed to them, you mean like AMD did for 10+ years? Only Ryzen saved them from history.

Personally I have no problem buying a new board to go with a new CPU, But I guess there are a lot who begrudge buying a board to go with a new CPU even if it might actually be beneficial because of new chipset features.
Let's be honest: by the time one has to buy a new CPU, motherboard technologies will have jumped ahead by miles. Or would you guys rather use your LGA-775 boards with PCI-e 1.1 and USB 2.0 to go with your shiny new Raptor Lake CPU? Bottom line: there's no need to upgrade with every generation. If you only upgrade when you actually need to, you'll have to upgrade your board anyway, let it be Intel or AMD.

D

Deleted member 24505

Most people do not upgrade that often. Some of us might though. So for a say 4 yearly upgrade, so what if you need to buy a new board too.

If the CPU design/specs change either physically or electrically needing a new socket so be it. Unless you actually think Intel does it deliberately :laugh:

That graph is clearly misleading when it comes to Linux, as more and more things in people's home are Linux based. Everything from your router to your smarthome devices run Linux. As such, Linux should have at least 10%, if not more.

It didn't exactly come across that way. As someone living in the middle of this, it's also not particularly amusing.

As for Intel warning about things, well, they have something to gain from doing so, especially if they decide to go full in on offering foundry services.
My apologies. The graph is just desktops, laptops, tablets and smartphones. I should have said interactive computing products instead of ‘internet connected devices.’

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
My apologies. The graph is just desktops, laptops, tablets and smartphones. I should have said interactive computing products instead of ‘internet connected devices.’
That makes a lot more sense.

I recently put a new CPU in my three year old motherboard...
Rumours suggest there might be a further upgrade path, which would be nice, as I don't really need any new features, as it has everything I need for the time being.

Let's be honest: by the time one has to buy a new CPU, motherboard technologies will have jumped ahead by miles. Or would you guys rather use your LGA-775 boards with PCI-e 1.1 and USB 2.0 to go with your shiny new Raptor Lake CPU? Bottom line: there's no need to upgrade with every generation. If you only upgrade when you actually need to, you'll have to upgrade your board anyway, let it be Intel or AMD.
It depends no? Is there a benefit to anyone to get a PCIe 5.0 equipped board this year?
I highly doubt it, but people are still buying them and will buy them when AMD launches its AM4 platform.
Yes, motherboards used to be a step behind, but now they mostly seem to be a step ahead of everything that goes into them, so I don't think your answer here is correct.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for progress, but right now, progress in the motherboard space it outprogressing everything else, which is not how it used to be. It makes the platforms live longer, if they're allowed to.

Last edited:
Software Windows 10 Pro
It depends no? Is there a benefit to anyone to get a PCIe 5.0 equipped board this year?
Well, if the RX 7500 XT ends up being PCI-e 5.0 x4... :rolleyes:

But seriously, is there a benefit of getting a new CPU (with a board) this year if you're already on Zen 3 or Rocket/Alder Lake? Is it worth it to spend hundreds of $/€/£ for a few percent IPC increase?

It's better to upgrade when you have at least double the performance of your current setup, but by that time, PCI-e 5.0 (or maybe 6.0) and USB 4.0 will be mainstream.

D

Deleted member 24505

Well, if the RX 7500 XT ends up being PCI-e 5.0 x4... :rolleyes:

But seriously, is there a benefit of getting a new CPU (with a board) this year if you're already on Zen 3 or Rocket/Alder Lake? Is it worth it to spend hundreds of $/€/£ for a few percent IPC increase?

It's better to upgrade when you have at least double the performance of your current setup, but by that time, PCI-e 5.0 (or maybe 6.0) and USB 4.0 will be mainstream.

People will buy AM5 in droves i bet, there will be lots of them on here no doubt.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Unknown at this point in time.
As I wrote elsewhere, it's unlikely that we'll see anything beyond PCIe 5.0 in consumer platforms for now. I really wasn't expecting that to be honest, but Intel pushed for it...
So now we have lower-end platforms that only get PCIe 4.0, due to cost, which makes even more "segregation" between high-end and mid-range boards. It's just stupid.

People will buy AM5 in droves i bet, there will be lots of them on here no doubt.
I guess that depends on how it'll perform.

Not really. The performance gains from upgrading would be minimal.

I guess, all for the better since Intel doesn't really need the government subsidies anyway, they just want to offload the massive development costs to keep their nice high profit margins. It's sad that if Taiwan falls they will get their payday again because politicians are moorons.
Intel probably doesn't need the government subsidies, but if you think about it Intel doesn't need to open a fab in Ohio either, they might just pick some other place where work is cheaper and the local government is more generous with subsidies (which can take several form, from the tax based ones to cheaper energy, etc.). It's up to the Congress and the President to decide whether they just like to talk about returning jobs to the United States or they actually want to do something about it.

I guess it might have come as more cynical than I what I meant, but I'm kind of surprised about your change of opinion about this, I remember you were quite dismissal about Pat's warnings some months ago, unless I misunderstood your position back then.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I guess it might have come as more cynical than I what I meant, but I'm kind of surprised about your change of opinion about this, I remember you were quite dismissal about Pat's warnings some months ago, unless I misunderstood your position back then.
The world isn't exactly the same place today as it was a few months ago. I guess I over reacted as well, so sorry for that.