• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Research Fuels Moore's Law and Paves the Way to a Trillion Transistors by 2030

Huang is right. Intel lies and has false, dream expectations. Once the reality strikes, Intel will have to accept the reality.
Intel is having serious problems with its production nodes and such roadmaps are fake even today.

It is dead and buried long time ago. Intel 10 nm is a proof.
So… you think the word of someone who’s company doesn’t *actually* manufacture anything is more reliable than the only company on the planet that can design AND manufacture its own products??

Bruh…. everyone commenting on this article is TRIPPING. Why are we hating on one of the very few companies that can ACTUALLY MANUFACTURE chips???

It’s great that other companies can design better architectures, but I’m pretty sure Qualcomm, AMD, Nvidia, Apple, Mediatek, Amazon, etc all rely on TSMC or Samsung to produce their designs.

I don’t see any companies other than TSMC, Intel, or Samsung trying to push the boundaries of chip manufacturing. Why all the hate on Intel for actually trying?

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Wow, lotta pissed off nerds in here. Intel wants to aim for a trillion transistors and apparently thats a Bad Thing (TM). :D:roll::D

ARF

So… you think the word of someone who’s company doesn’t *actually* manufacture anything is more reliable than the only company on the planet that can design AND manufacture its own products??

Of course, Huang is telling the truth in the particular case.

Let's remember what the Moore's "law" actually says:

Moore's Law states that the number of transistors on a microchip doubles every two years. The law claims that we can expect the speed and capability of our computers to increase every two years because of this, yet we will pay less for them.

Intel's own manufacturing processes are a proof that the above statement is no longer valid and it takes more than 2 years to double the transistors on a microchip.

Bruh…. everyone commenting on this article is TRIPPING. Why are we hating on one of the very few companies that can ACTUALLY MANUFACTURE chips???

It’s great that other companies can design better architectures, but I’m pretty sure Qualcomm, AMD, Nvidia, Apple, Mediatek, Amazon, etc all rely on TSMC or Samsung to produce their designs.

I don’t see any companies other than TSMC, Intel, or Samsung trying to push the boundaries of chip manufacturing. Why all the hate on Intel for actually trying?

TBH, I can live fine without Intel. My last Intel CPUs were Core 2 Quad Q9450 from 2008 and Core 2 Duo T5250 from 2008, and I don't plan to buy anything Intel in the future.

System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech
All this industry bickering about moore's law and performance ... it's not going where it should be, single-thread performance. In that case moore's law was dead a long time ago.

System Name The beast and the little runt.
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X - Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4a - NH-D15 chromax.black with IPPC Industrial 3000 RPM 120/140 MM fans.
Memory G.SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL GOLD/SILVER 32 GB (2 x 16 GB and 4 x 8 GB) 3600 MHz CL14-15-15-35 1.45 volts
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 4060 OC LOW PROFILE - GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB + 2 TB - Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB - 2 x WD RED PRO 16 GB + WD ULTRASTAR 22 TB
Display(s) Asus 27" TUF VG27AQL1A and a Dell 24" for dual setup
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719/LUXE 2 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Onboard on both boards
Power Supply Phanteks Revolt X 1200W
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
Software WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BITS on both systems
Benchmark Scores Se more about my 2 in 1 system here: kortlink.dk/2ca4x
1 trillion transistors might be true, when they eventually get to 7 or 5 nm. But first a few years more with 10 nm++++++++++++++++++++:kookoo:

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Wow, lotta pissed off nerds in here. Intel wants to aim for a trillion transistors and apparently thats a Bad Thing (TM). :D:roll::D

Not at all! They can aim all they want, but we all have our hopes and dreams, don't we. Used to dream I could fly at some point. These slides kinda fall in that category.

For now the reality is TSMC isolated on the throne. I feel that the chances of following TSMC's progress are better on Samsung's side than on Intel's side.

System Name The Endless Road.
Processor R9 5900X under EKWB Quantum Velocity2 block.
Motherboard asrock x570 phantom gaming 4
Cooling EK-XRES 100 Revo D5, EK Quantum Surface 420M (case roof) with 3x140m.m. case fans, pull config
Memory 32Gb DDR4 3600/14 cas
Video Card(s) Zotac RX4080 Trinity, waterblock cooled.
Storage 2 Tb WD Black sn770
Display(s) 32" Gigabyte M32UC 4K/144 Hz
Case Corsair 7000D airflow
Audio Device(s) MB audio feeding a HyperX Cloud 2 wired headset
Power Supply Koolink Continuum 850
Mouse one
Keyboard also one
Software Win 11 Home 64 bit
Benchmark Scores I don't play benchmarks.
We're already seeing big problems cooling current designs at far
lower densities, how do they plan on cooling these projected monsters?

All this industry bickering about moore's law and performance ... it's not going where it should be, single-thread performance. In that case moore's law was dead a long time ago.
Maybe it's time for software to finally catch up with multi core hardware.

System Name S.L.I + RTX research rig
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X 3D.
Motherboard MSI MEG ACE X570
Cooling Corsair H150i Cappellx
Memory Corsair Vengeance pro RGB 3200mhz 16Gbs
Video Card(s) 2x Dell RTX 2080 Ti in S.L.I
Storage Western digital Sata 6.0 SDD 500gb + fanxiang S660 4TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
Display(s) HP X24i
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Power Supply EVGA G+1600watts
Mouse Corsair Scimitar
Keyboard Cosair K55 Pro RGB
Moore's law, isn't a law, it's a theory.
But Moore's Law isn't dead?
yes it was, cause it's was never a law, in the first place.
it's a theory.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Intel is fast becoming the GM of EVs, you know like how they and some president keeps pushing the narrative that they are leading the EV revolution?

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
That's nothing. I'm working on my 1 Gorrilion Transistor chip as we speak.

If intel wants to buy my design, I'll gladly sell it for a hefty sum.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Moore's law, isn't a law, it's a theory.

yes it was, cause it's was never a law, in the first place.
it's a theory.
Ah! So it's not illegal to be Mr. Gelsinger and mske big promises, hoping shareholders would believe them?

System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech
Maybe it's time for software to finally catch up with multi core hardware.

Many resource hungry operations necessary for simulation and physics cannot be parallelized (split into multiple threads) by simply the nature of them, laws of physics. Yes only so far, software will never catch up 1:1.

Huang is right. Intel lies and has false, dream expectations.
And yet they & AMD continue to deliver steadily advancing product lines.
Once the reality strikes, Intel will have to accept the reality.
:slap: Intel has a greater grasp on reality than many of the commenters in this forum...
Intel is having serious problems with its production nodes
Not any more or less than everyone else in the world.

This is so misleading and superfluous, we're already getting pretty close the atomic level in terms of feature size in a chip, there is no smaller than that. So no, density wise there are not going to be any significant improvements going further, that's an immutable fact.
That's actually not correct. There is more progress that can be made. TSMC's 5nm and 3nm nodes are evidence of this. However we are getting close to that limit. 2nm is likely going to be the limit of what can be done in a shrink-down miniaturization effort.
Sure, you can try and pull all sorts of tricks with staking multiple and chips and whatnot but that can only take you so far.
True, there are limits to stacking. However, no one has done it yet in a commercial product. It's all theory currently. What those limits are is unknown and might be greater then is currently theorized.
I still expect the semiconductor industry to hit a brick wall in the next decade, there's just no going around these fundamental limits.
Maybe. Unless you have a crystal ball or a time machine, no one can know for sure.

System Name MSi Coffee Lake
Processor i7-8700k
Motherboard MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
Cooling NZXT something AIO loop
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX 2133 C14 Fury Black
Video Card(s) TITAN Xp Jedi Order Edition
Storage Samsung 960 Evo NVMe
Display(s) Medion 23'
Case Cooler Master Stryker
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply BeQuiet 600W
Mouse Logitech Trackman T-BB18
Keyboard Generic hp
Software Windows 10
Did Intel in the past make any contribution to R&D in node shrink in silicon manufacturing?
They did R&D in CPU architecture yes.

Silicon manufacturing R&D , i think about Bell , IBM , and many other pioneering electronic companies from the past and companies like ASML nowadays.
Intel uses the processes invented by others.

Last edited:
We're already seeing big problems cooling current designs at far
lower densities, how do they plan on cooling these projected monsters?
Simply not push them to 6GHz by default and they won't end up using 300W.

Either that or drop the IHS and use direct die cooling like videocards. Can't wait until morons start chipping the die corner like it used to happen in the Athlon days.

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Nope, both you and your savior of leather is wrong. Not even leather done by hand, full on CNC built cheap, glorified crap jacket. Just like his overpriced wasteland of silicone products.
Stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel lol.

--------------------------------------

Very interested to see how this goes for Intel, will this headline age like milk for them, or turn into fine wine? I won't make any sweeping predications or statements here, just keen to watch and find out.

Stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel lol.

Are we really going down that route? Sorry, my goal is not speedy, full ultra, extreme gaming. Since all I do nowadays is simple tasks, I can actually shrink my O11 Air and have been doing so (threw away the bigger GPU).

Some commentators are glorifying Intel but lately I've been purchasing mini PC parts and I noticed how much better AMD has been there, simply due to what they can achieve with their better node.

Also, the naming schemes. Don't get me started on them. There's the uh, what was it called... 1240F? Something like that. Pretty weird CPU, actually, the whole mobile 12th gen stack is weird. They have a lot of efficiency cores but almost no performance cores. Look at this chart, they're actually selling single real core processors for tablet machines. Does that even compete with Snapdragon?

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Are we really going down that route?
The route you just took wasn't even on my map, I was somewhere completely different with my comment, but never mind I suppose :)

The route you just took wasn't even on my map, I was somewhere completely different with my comment, but never mind I suppose :)

Yeah I actually understood the point, I felt like meming a bit earlier on the first page since the thread is about something so newspaper worthy (nonsense news lol). Apologies for the misdirection.

Regardless though notebooks should still consume the biggest part of the consumer PC sales... and honestly, AMD CPUs offer so much more down there. Multi threaded doesn't compare even when comparing older AMD chips to the newer gen Intel.

What most people seem to agree though is, Intel's node being inferior. This largely slaps them the smaller the PC gets.

Of course, Huang is telling the truth in the particular case.

Let's remember what the Moore's "law" actually says:

Intel's own manufacturing processes are a proof that the above statement is no longer valid and it takes more than 2 years to double the transistors on a microchip.

TBH, I can live fine without Intel. My last Intel CPUs were Core 2 Quad Q9450 from 2008 and Core 2 Duo T5250 from 2008, and I don't plan to buy anything Intel in the future.
Huang stated his opinion about a named observation. To call it "truth" is a bit silly. Everyone knows Moore's Law is not a "law" in the strict sense. Huang has no ground to stand on though because his company doesn't even manufacture the products they design. It's easy to sit back and criticize when you don't actually do any of the work and that's exactly what he is doing.

You would not live fine without Intel. Maybe you haven't used one of their CPUs in over a decade, but it's 100% guaranteed that you use multiple technologies developed by them. Intel is much, much more than just a consumer-focused design firm that can't manufacture their own products like AMD or NVIDIA. They have created tech that is so ubiquitous, you don't even know that you use it. I don't see why there is so much distaste for one of the few chip manufacturing companies left in the free world. At least Intel is trying and presenting some degree of success. AMD, NVIDIA, and Apple would cease to function if TSMC disappeared. People give these fabless chip companies WAY too much credit.

Huang stated his opinion about a named observation. To call it "truth" is a bit silly. Everyone knows Moore's Law is not a "law" in the strict sense. Huang has no ground to stand on though because his company doesn't even manufacture the products they design. It's easy to sit back and criticize when you don't actually do any of the work and that's exactly what he is doing.

You would not live fine without Intel. Maybe you haven't used one of their CPUs in over a decade, but it's 100% guaranteed that you use multiple technologies developed by them. Intel is much, much more than just a consumer-focused design firm that can't manufacture their own products like AMD or NVIDIA. They have created tech that is so ubiquitous, you don't even know that you use it. I don't see why there is so much distaste for one of the few chip manufacturing companies left in the free world. At least Intel is trying and presenting some degree of success. AMD, NVIDIA, and Apple would cease to function if TSMC disappeared. People give these fabless chip companies WAY too much credit.

Why does the approach matter so much if the end result is better for AMD though? As far as nodes are concerned, like using TSMC.

That's like saying I don't prefer an i4 for longer distances over a base Model 3, simply because it's a combustion car converted to electric.

In reality the i4 has more range than a base Model 3... the approach is not that relevant if the outcome happens to be superior.