• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Rocket Lake 11000 retail reviews

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Looks like a pointed submission to me. Why did the dude run the 10900k with slower memory when he could've run it same same?
Also the memory config is different. Possibly just two ranks on the older system and definitely four on the new one.
I would guess the person in question doesn't have access to sufficient hardware to do a like-for-like comparison. To be fair, 2933 is the highest supported memory speed on Comet Lake, so they're in line with AnandTech on that point.
I didn't say there were no power consumption tests besides AVX512, and I never said you've made up any numbers. I know, because I read the article before I, you know, started this thread. :D

I said consumers, what matters to consumers. AVX, AVX512 and Photoscan are used in the three tests, not really consumer friendly to me. Besides that, only the freaky AVX512 result ended up in a comparing chart. TPU on the other hand shows power usage while gaming, which I find highly relevant, but that didn't happen here.

Now before you say "so what, we've got all info we need from those three power measurements". I know, most of us here thinks so, but it may not be clear enough for everyone.
All I'm saying is that it makes the article look bad, and the only power chart with competing CPU's happens to be that one exception so far that shows a crazy high power consumption.
It wouldn't be that much trouble to add gaming power consumption, and then have all four results (Photoscan, gaming, AVX, AVX512) in comparing charts.

Right now it's easy for some readers to think that RL is much hotter than CL, which I really doubt it is in most scenarios.
That's why it should've been nice to have a deeper dive into power consumption, because 290 W was a 8C WR, more or less. But like I said, I guess we have to wait a few weeks for that.

There's been ES CPU's circulating both with and without Atom cores, and AFAIK, not all of them are desktop.
To address the last point first: the ES chips I've seen circulating have all been desktop chips, but there might of course be some I've not seen. They're pretty huge chips - 8 large and 8 small cores (some chips have some of these disabled), which by itself makes it highly unlikely that these are destined for a mobile use case. Intel have been struggling to get Tiger Lake-H out the door, so even if the additional area from the 8 small cores isn't all that much, moving past that to an even larger die seems unlikely IMO.

As for the rest here: I think you're approaching the review from the wrong angle. AnandTech doesn't do general consumer oriented coverage, they do in-depth highly technical coverage presented in an impressively approachable way. They always present the reasoning in detail, and argue for their choice of benchmarks in depth. They obviously need to balance the various readerships they target, and tend to skew more business/enterprise/IT than most publications in their inclusions of office benchmarks, SPEC, and various workstation benchmarks. However, when they do so they also mostly argue how these compare to typical consumer workloads. Their #CPUOVERLOAD introduction article goes into pretty extreme detail on the reasoning behind their benchmarks.

As for the specific benchmarks chosen: they're not directly relevant to most consumers, but they cover the (currently three) major test points of all-core non-AVX, AVX2 and AVX512, and are thus reasonably representative for any all-core load in each of these classes. I understand the desire for a gaming power draw measurement, but as seen in TPU reviews, gaming power consumption testing on CPUs is pretty much meaningless. The 40W delta seen there between the lowest and highest CPU tested tells us that gaming is not a sufficiently intensive (or even) CPU workload to make out meaningful differences, especially when contrasted against the 210W delta in all-core loads. Most games stress a couple of threads heavily and a few more with light loads after all, and nobody should be using that as the basis for their cooling or PSU selection. It would certainly be interesting to see, for example, a graph showing CPU power vs. framerates across a few CPUs, but it's not a type of data that's of much use for anything. And if the argument is that games might scale to become more multi-threaded in the future, then the all-core load numbers are likely representative again.

Of course if what you're saying is just that only presenting a peak power graph visually, and no other visual comparisons, is a bit iffy, then yeah, I can agree there. It would be nice for graphs for each load category + the cumulative peak graph. But if the argument is that they should do so because idiots are going to share the peak load graph online and present it as if the Intel CPU consumes that much under normal loads? I don't think AT should base their editorial policies on the lowest common denominator of reading comprehension and the game of telephone that is idiots online screaming about their hobbies, so I don't agree wiht that.

Also, apparently I didn't spot that you were the OP here :laugh: Guess that goes as a great example of "don't reply to forum posts when you're in a hurry". There really ought to be a blushing emoticon here.:oops:

SL2

To address the last point first: the ES chips I've seen circulating have all been desktop chips, but there might of course be some I've not seen. They're pretty huge chips - 8 large and 8 small cores (some chips have some of these disabled), which by itself makes it highly unlikely that these are destined for a mobile use case. Intel have been struggling to get Tiger Lake-H out the door, so even if the additional area from the 8 small cores isn't all that much, moving past that to an even larger die seems unlikely IMO.
1615136099741.png
As for the specific benchmarks chosen: they're not directly relevant to most consumers, but they cover the (currently three) major test points of all-core non-AVX, AVX2 and AVX512, and are thus reasonably representative for any all-core load in each of these classes.
:rolleyes:
Now before you say "so what, we've got all info we need from those three power measurements". I know, most of us here thinks so, but it may not be clear enough for everyone.

Of course if what you're saying is just that only presenting a peak power graph visually, and no other visual comparisons, is a bit iffy, then yeah, I can agree there. It would be nice for graphs for each load category + the cumulative peak graph. But if the argument is that they should do so because idiots are going to share the peak load graph online and present it as if the Intel CPU consumes that much under normal loads? I don't think AT should base their editorial policies on the lowest common denominator of reading comprehension and the game of telephone that is idiots online screaming about their hobbies, so I don't agree wiht that.
Wow, that was cheap. Yes, I'm aware that I shared "the peak load graph online". I don't care if you didn't mean mean me personally, just stop throwing words like lazy and idiot around. I really don't appreciate it.

We're done here.

Last edited:
System Name The Expanse
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-Pro BIOS 5013 AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.Ca.
Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident RGB DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34-1T (B-Die)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB (24.3.1)
Storage WD SN850X 2TB / Corsair MP600 1TB / Samsung 860Evo 1TB x2 Raid 0 / Asus NAS AS1004T V2 14TB
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B 34 Inch 21: 9 UltraGear Curved QHD (3440 x 1440) 1ms Nano IPS 160Hz
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi + Logitech Z-5500 + HS80 Wireless
Power Supply Corsair AX850 Titanium
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 22H2
Benchmark Scores 3800X https://valid.x86.fr/1zr4a5 5800X https://valid.x86.fr/2dey9c
The amount of people on the IDF these last few days has been incredible after that anandtech review.

SL2

Guess they didn't have anything to measure with.. :D

According to the quick side-by-side comparisons to Comet Lake i9-10900K, it is estimated that Rocket Lake is 260-270 mm2 in size. That’s around 28% more than 10900K.

1615512569489.png

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
Sweet.. I wonder how easy it would be to cool with a high end air cooler? That is some serial real estate.. Would that be like 300 old school watts, or 300 hell hath no fury watts..

AVX512 I would imagine to be slightly intense..

Reactions: SL2

SL2

Sweet.. I wonder how easy it would be to cool with a high end air cooler? That is some serial real estate.. Would that be like 300 old school watts, or 300 hell hath no fury watts..
I'd like to see a desktop build (non-tower) with ITX, riser cable, and graphics card mounted horizontally, and two beefy TR Le Grand Macho mounted side by side, one on each processor. :D Makes no sense, but I just want to see it.

Like this, but with both processors facing up.
1615606887112.png

System Name (2008) Dell XPS 730x H2C
Processor Intel Extreme QX9770 @ 3.8GHz (No OC)
Motherboard Dell LGA 775 (Dell Propiatary)
Cooling Dell AIO Ceramic Water Cooling (Dell Propiatary)
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4) DDR3
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB (2016 ebay-used)
Storage (2) WD 1TB Velociraptor & (1) WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Alienware 34" AW3420DW (Amazon Warehouse)
Case Stock Dell 730x with "X" Side Panel (65 pounds fully decked out)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI Titanium & Corsair SP2500 Speakers
Power Supply PSU: 1000 Watt (Dell Propiatary)
Mouse Alienware AW610M (Amazon Warehouse)
Keyboard Corsair K95 XT (Amazon Warehouse)
Software Windows 7 Ultimate & Alienware FX Lighting
Benchmark Scores No Benchmarking & Overclocking
It consumes 20W more...
View attachment 191198
Should I really care about power consumption? Absolutely not! For me in the end it's all about availability, price and reliability. So most what I see here is just a lot of rambling-on by the so called enthusiast's while real life and the man on the street is passing them by.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
Should I really care about power consumption? Absolutely not! For me in the end it's all about availability, price and reliability. So most what I see here is just a lot of rambling-on by the so called enthusiast's while real life and the man on the street is passing them by.
A new but less efficient than the previous gen is a rare failure for the CPU tech. And that is why I thought it deserved to be commented.

It's not less efficient though, is it? It might consume slightly more power than its direct predecessor (but slightly less than 9900k for example, so it's nothing really out of the ordinary even then), however all the multi-threaded tests show it to be noticeably faster as well, meaning it's more efficient, not less.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Wow, that was cheap. Yes, I'm aware that I shared "the peak load graph online". I don't care if you didn't mean mean me personally, just stop throwing words like lazy and idiot around. I really don't appreciate it.

We're done here.
Wow, you're really looking to be insulted, aren't you? Why should I not call the people waging incessant online tech fanboy wars, such as the audiences of Videocardz or WCCFTech, idiots or lazy? Both are broadly accurate general descriptions of their treatments of facts, data, and their general approach to nuanced opinions and understandings. There are obviously exceptions, but it's still generally accurate. It should be pretty clear that I wasn't talking about our discussions here. We're on a specific forum after all, which is rather different from the general activity of "sharing things online" even if forums are obviously also online. So please, rather than trying really hard to read that as if it was directed at you (yeah, that "I don't care if you mean me personally" didn't quite have the CYA effect you wanted - I frankly didn't know nor care whether you shared that other places or not, nor do I tend to see people on these forums as raging fanboys) and rather read it as what it is: an argument for AnandTech to not let screaming online fanboys with severely lacking reading comprehension determine their editorial policies. I never imagined you to have any relation to said group, but rather you seemed to be arguing that AT should present their data in a way designed to fit the lowest common denominator of reading comprehension and try to make it impossible to take out of context at the cost of clarity, which is just a bad idea. I did say I agreed that there ought to have been more graphs, but ultimately it's not AT's responsibility if people take the peak power graph out of context and fail to understand what it shows.

And exactly the same goes for the "may not be clear for everyone" part about the workloads chosen. This is Anandtech we're talking about, not Tom's Guide or WCCFTech or some other outlet for the barely technically literate. Anandtech presents incredibly detailed technical analyses in easily comprehensible ways, but you still need a higher than average understanding of yhe subject matter to fully grasp most of their coverage. And that's a good thing - it means you can actually learn things by reading their content. Their target audience isn't "everyone". And it shouldn't be. The onus to improve here is on people who take graphs - which are always gross simplifications, as the entire point is literally to present data simply, at the cost of nuance and detail - as total representations of facts, and especially the ones who don't even bother to actually look into what the graph is showing. I can't recall ever saying anything close to you belonging in such a group. I'm just strictly opposed to the dumbing-down of well presented complex data for the sake of avoiding misunderstandings by people not willing to read with a modicum of care. AnandTech's editors have very good reasons behind their choice of benchmarks and presentations - which are also always presented and argued for - and it's inherent to this that the choices aren't made for the broadest possible public understanding, but to be good and representative benchmarks for their target audience. They clearly aren't immune to mistakes, but they tend to address them quickly, such as adding AVX2 numbers to the graph to allow for more direct apples-to-apples comparisons to other CPUs despite this actually hurting data presentation - it's no longer a peak power draw graph, after all. But one can't have that as a ruling principle - if so, you'd need non-AVX, AVX2 and if applicable AVX512 bars for every CPU on the graph, which would make it essentially unreadable. So I completely agree with their approach of preferring data clarity over comprehensiveness in any single graph or illustration, and putting the responsibility of gaining a broader understanding on readers.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
AVX512 is very much irrelevant for us on the desktop. Its power usage is non-issue for the same reason.
Even AVX2 is practically unused for desktop and gaming. Productivity applications do use AVX2 pretty heavily including stuff you might do at home like encoding/transcoding videos or maybe some rendering.

SL2

AVX512 is very much irrelevant for us on the desktop. Its power usage is non-issue for the same reason.
I was just commenting the benchmark results after updating the microcode. AVX512 testing showed 8 % higher performance, everything else is quite uninteresting. Call it sarcasm if you want. :)

This could be Intel's attempt to differentiate the 11900K from the 11700K.

1616451835192.png
1616451850786.png