• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Starts Shipping Xe LP-based DG1 Discrete GPU to OEMs; Locks it out of Other Systems

I wonder how Xe will be in at the low end relative to cost with CMAA and if these also do include RTRT as has been hinted for low resolution RTRT they might could be good relative to cost given CMAA is good on image quality relative to performance and paired with some RTRT hardware it's a nice mixture. If these somehow can seamlessly do mGPU with the iGPU of the Intel CPU's as well they'd do better in turn. In fact perhaps one or the other can handle CMAA and other post process and the other RTRT. They don't look very impressive, but I would hope Intel has some reasonable draws to the designs and can improve them further and come up with something more credible outside the low end market in time.

What does locking in the GPU into specific configurations accomplish? Is there a blooming black market for crap useless bottom-rung GPUs that we're not aware of?

This is truly a confusing decision on intel's part. All this does is fan the flames of potential F.u.d. when (if) they release an actual competitive GPU (ie that it won't work as well on AMD systems, that intel might hobble it on competing CPUs et cetera)

Not that I believe anything like this is probable, but they're not building up any good will with this kind of lock-in crap.
While not black market, all those sketchy, budget Chinese/Ebay GPUs are recycled bits and pieces off old and sometimes bottom-tier GPUs; some with more memory than the original cards the cores came from leading to weird performance. It wouldn't surprise me if some DG1 cards, after they get phased out, are recycled and made workable on all platforms courtesy of Chinese electronics chop shops, much like how they were able to bypass Intel locks and make certain CPUs from one LGA socket generation work when normally it shouldn't (IIRC, GamersNexus was partly fond of some of those boards, and even Linus tested out one or two China boards).

That said, this locked-in ecosystem seems to line up with Intel's earlier statements regarding a sort of mixed iGPU+dGPU concept they were discussing awhile back; some sort of ultra-quick shifting between iGPU for web browsing and dGPU for heavier rendering or the like. This is likely how they'll test and eventually implement the feature on a wider scale; via part lock-ins. Still, this doesn't bode well if they hope to get a foot into the market. At least even with cheap Nvidia or AMD GPUs, they're guaranteed to already work, and can be swapped between rigs as the systems are slowly retired (cannibalizing a spare part off one retired rig).

I don't think Intel is aiming to compete in the mid range and high end against Nvidia/AMD right now. I think they know they can't compete at that end right now and want to offer cost advantages at the low end side of the market. If these can work in tandem as a discrete low end GPU with iGPU on the CPU itself in sync and be supported well at the same time by Intel it should be provide a cost effective solution. Intel can evolve both upward over time. Eventually they could even throw MCM into the mix on both ends. One might be for render the stronger of the two or MCM pairs and the other post process the weaker for a quad big.LITTLE integrated+discrete hybrid. Intel's CMAA should be good for post process and I wager they can evolve it further and involve other techniques along with upscale. They can also as well throw in RTRT hardware on both. Another aspect of that is big.LITTLE itself for the CPU. That too in turn could render the weaker part of the equation on weaker GPU parts and stronger portion on the stronger bits of hardware.

Now consider this a big.LITTLE CPU + a big.LITTLE GPU design in one chip in a MCM design and then you also have 3D stacking as well down the pike. The weaker computational things run more in the background and probably stacked lower in terms of 3D stacking and in regard to heat dissipation and utilized less heavily and/or often and the stronger computational things stacked higher with better heat dissipation convection up higher and run more heavily and/or often. I can't wait to see the first 3D stacked MCM CPU/GPU take hold. I expect it'll have a big.LITTLE approach and how it's managed will play a big role in the overall perception and success of it. This isn't that lol, but I still have high hopes for technology and a company with Intel's history should give some reason for hope for the future.

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Processor Intel core i5 4590s
Motherboard Asus Z97 Pro Gamer
Cooling Evercool EC115A 915SP Cpu cooler,Coolermaster [200mm (front and top)+140mm rear]
Memory Corsair 16GB(4x4) ddr3 CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9(Ver8.16)(XMP)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G
Storage Western Digital WDC WD2001FAS 2TB Black, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB
Display(s) LG Flatron L177WSB
Case Coolermaster CM Storm Enforcer
Audio Device(s) Creative A550 Speakers 5.1 channel
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex 2 Gold 650W SF-650F14EG
Mouse PLNK M-740 Optical Mouse
Keyboard ibuypower GKB100 Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Sp1 64 bit
this is optane all over again and is this a poor means of pushing consumers towards its new cpus?... in closed oem ecosystems where they are shielded from open scrutiny and competition unlike in diy

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
Ugh Intel, giving the middle finger to interoperability standards, wanting to be its own little ecosystem all the time. They can keep it.

I don't think Intel is aiming to compete in the mid range and high end against Nvidia/AMD right now. I think they know they can't compete at that end right now and want to offer cost advantages at the low end side of the market. If these can work in tandem as a discrete low end GPU with iGPU on the CPU itself in sync and be supported well at the same time by Intel it should be provide a cost effective solution. Intel can evolve both upward over time. Eventually they could even throw MCM into the mix on both ends. One might be for render the stronger of the two or MCM pairs and the other post process the weaker for a quad big.LITTLE integrated+discrete hybrid. Intel's CMAA should be good for post process and I wager they can evolve it further and involve other techniques along with upscale. They can also as well throw in RTRT hardware on both. Another aspect of that is big.LITTLE itself for the CPU. That too in turn could render the weaker part of the equation on weaker GPU parts and stronger portion on the stronger bits of hardware.

Now consider this a big.LITTLE CPU + a big.LITTLE GPU design in one chip in a MCM design and then you also have 3D stacking as well down the pike. The weaker computational things run more in the background and probably stacked lower in terms of 3D stacking and in regard to heat dissipation and utilized less heavily and/or often and the stronger computational things stacked higher with better heat dissipation convection up higher and run more heavily and/or often. I can't wait to see the first 3D stacked MCM CPU/GPU take hold. I expect it'll have a big.LITTLE approach and how it's managed will play a big role in the overall perception and success of it. This isn't that lol, but I still have high hopes for technology and a company with Intel's history should give some reason for hope for the future.
I believe you are right to say that Intel is aware they may not be able to challenge both Nvidia and AMD at this point. However, locking the GPU to specific Intel build still don't make sense. They can lock it, but it doesn't mean that OEMs will want to buy them, unless of course Intel is selling this really cheap, undercutting AMD and Nvidia. Also all the things you mentioned, requires software optimization to happen. If you are not allowing people to have the opportunity to test it by creating artificial limitations, I don't think the software side of things will improve anytime soon. Game developers for example will naturally optimized games based on how what is the common/ popular system configuration. If Intel can't even penetrate a low single digit, they will be in the back burner when it comes to optimization. These are my opinion, and I may be wrong. But if Intel persists in this sorts of tactic, I am not optimistic as to whether their graphic business will take off in the retail space. It likely will end up the way of Optane.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Also all the things you mentioned, requires software optimization to happen. If you are not allowing people to have the opportunity to test it by creating artificial limitations, I don't think the software side of things will improve anytime soon. Game developers for example will naturally optimized games based on how what is the common/ popular system configuration.
Intel may not be at this stage yet. I bet they are still focusing on hardware and firmware compatibility and optimization.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
This getting more and more interesting for already redundant product.

Great, no treatment for Celeron, and I thought Celeron folks need it most. It's better shipping them with F SKU, but it's Intel , I bet their shipping it with K variant also.

People who bought budget machine mostly doing basic things, and what task do iGPU aren't capable of? Funny someone wrote it will be good for AI, bla bla..., who in right minds buying a budget machine for complex C ? To be fair, with dedicated VRAM it will benefit in some forms, but not that significant just like GT 710 equipped with GDDR5. And there's another crap, this would work like CF/SLI better than the other 2 companies do for a decades. What?
Not people, corporations. The customer isn't the end-user, it's HP, Dell, and Lenovo.

Intel's managed to persuade OEMs to buy their ultra-basic dGPU and since it's not powerful enough for gaming they're likely selling to the OEMs based on encode performance and 2D/Video acceleration in things like Photoshop, Handbrake, Premiere etc.

Don't forget, the cheapest GPU from Nvidia worth buying for video work is the 1650 Super. All Intel has to do to sell these things to OEMs is make the price attractive enough and show that their QuickSync encoder is comparable to NVENC in much more expensive cards.

I'm sure DG1 will suck for gaming, and I'm sure DG1 will be underwhelming, but its real purpose in this limited format isn't to make profit for Intel, but to get some DG1s out on the market to generate real-world usage data. In other words, HP, Dell, Lenovo are paying beta-testers and the likely upside for them is extremely tempting pricing from Intel, as well as perhaps some exclusivity in being one of only a few options for obtaining the new Intel dGPUs.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Not people, corporations. The customer isn't the end-user, it's HP, Dell, and Lenovo.

Intel's managed to persuade OEMs to buy their ultra-basic dGPU and since it's not powerful enough for gaming they're likely selling to the OEMs based on encode performance and 2D/Video acceleration in things like Photoshop, Handbrake, Premiere etc.

Don't forget, the cheapest GPU from Nvidia worth buying for video work is the 1650 Super. All Intel has to do to sell these things to OEMs is make the price attractive enough and show that their QuickSync encoder is comparable to NVENC in much more expensive cards.

I'm sure DG1 will suck for gaming, and I'm sure DG1 will be underwhelming, but its real purpose in this limited format isn't to make profit for Intel, but to get some DG1s out on the market to generate real-world usage data. In other words, HP, Dell, Lenovo are paying beta-testers and the likely upside for them is extremely tempting pricing from Intel, as well as perhaps some exclusivity in being one of only a few options for obtaining the new Intel dGPUs.

Dont forget the new Geforce 1010, just in time to compete with this