• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel to Kill off The "Extreme Edition" Brand Extension

System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes
I won an i5-2500 system from an Intel contest many years ago. It was installed into an Intel branded mainboard with an "Extreme Skull" lit-up on it.
I had one of my grandkids visiting once and he loved the skull on the board. I gave it to him and he still uses it to this day.
He took it to school for homework and left his gaming PC at home.

Processor Haswell-E - i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz
Motherboard ASUS X99S
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Palit Super JetStream 980Ti
Storage SSD: 512GB [Crucial MX100] HDD: 34TB [4 x 6TB WD Blue, 2 x 5TB Seagate External]
Display(s) Acer ProDesigner BM320 4K
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Haswell-E was the height of its greatness.

System Name my friends call me Zenny, I make a bad enemy
Processor still computing
Motherboard Naw she aint, she has 2 dachshunds
Cooling I ride motorcycles rain or shine
Memory semi-eidetic, 48 years on-time
Video Card(s) don't need one anymore, but still have a few Polaris
Storage I grew up in Silicon Valley during the '80's and '90's in San Jose, CA
Display(s) 2016 Scout Sixty when I want to look pretty. The females agree.
Case I only roll in old shit. 1963 F100 Unibody
Audio Device(s) JBL Boombox 3, V-MODA Crossfade
Power Supply Ensure, Bacon Jerky, and mineral water
Mouse I hates em. I sets up glue traps for em. Guk!
Keyboard Trying to close a Captains of Crush #3. For 5 years now.
VR HMD Nahmang /Yay Area
Software Hey! My underpants is my business!
Benchmark Scores How much does Mark weigh?
I remember back when the Pentium D 805 was ~$90 at the same time AMD FX-60 was king @ ~$1k.
Bought one off NewEgg early '06 for giggles, because I knew it was a couple of "Press-hots" pretty much glued together with HT disabled. I thought worst-case, it could at least double as a game server and room heater. Well, it matched and/or beat stock FX-60 in most benchmarks at 4GHz. It was winter too, bonus. From 2001-2005 I had 5 AXPs, 3 A64s, 2 P4s with HT, and that PD. I still say, it was Conroe that put Netburst in the worst light. Yet, Netburst clocked high can still surf the web just fine and play many awesome older games. Single-core Netburst with HT has aged a lot better than single-core A64 has.

@las Bulldozers aren't anywhere near as bad as folks here make them out to be, IMHO, but I agree that the FX9000s were a disaster. Those CPUs beat the holy hell out of mobos. I choose to remember the FX-51 to FX-60 as AMD FX greatness - otherwise FX died harder than Bruce Willis.

@Chloe Price: I never said Netburst was the first 4GHz, I was actually thinking it was the 4790K. Looking it up, turns out it was AMD's 4170. Minun mokani! :D

@[XC] Oj101: Yes it is true. Netburst's instruction pipeline was lengthened intentionally to be able to clock higher. Between Northwood and Prescott it was lengthened yet again. OFFC the IPC was going to be worse, that was to be expected, hurrrr. Clockspeed trumps latency if it's high enough, old pun intended.

@ZeDestructor: I was being semi-facetious, but thanks for the info in the second part of your post. I must have missed that part when SB came out. The first half of the first part was plain untrue, tho. Nothing that runs and does the job is hopeless, dude! Although....If by "hopeless" you mean they weren't going to get 10GHz, let alone 5 out of it, maybe you're right heh heh

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K 4K120 + Lenovo L32p-30 4K60
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
System Name Diablo | Baal | Mephisto | Andariel
Processor i5-3570K@4.4GHz | 2x Xeon X5675 | i7-4710MQ | i7-2640M
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z77 | HP DL380 G6 | Dell Precision M4800 | Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet
Cooling Swiftech H220-X | Chassis cooled (6 fans + HS) | dual-fanned heatpipes | small-fanned heatpipe
Memory 32GiB DDR3-1600 CL9 | 96GiB DDR3-1333 ECC RDIMM | 32GiB DDR3L-1866 CL11 | 8GiB DDR3L-1600 CL11
Video Card(s) Dual GTX 670 in SLI | Embedded ATi ES1000 | Quadro K2100M | Intel HD 3000
Storage many, many SSDs and HDDs....
Display(s) 1 Dell U3011 + 2x Dell U2410 | HP iLO2 KVMoIP | 3200x1800 Sharp IGZO | 1366x768 IPS with Wacom pen
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D | HP DL380 G6 Chassis | Dell Precision M4800 | Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD | None | On-board | On-board
Power Supply Corsair AX850 | Dual 750W Redundant PSU (Delta) | Dell 330W+240W (Flextronics) | Lenovo 65W (Delta)
Mouse Logitech G502, Logitech G700s, Logitech G500, Dell optical mouse (emergency backup)
Keyboard 1985 IBM Model F 122-key, Ducky YOTT MX Black, Dell AT101W, 1994 IBM Model M, various integrated
Software FAAAR too much to list
@ZeDestructor: I was being semi-facetious, but thanks for the info in the second part of your post. I must have missed that part when SB came out. The first half of the first part was plain untrue, tho. Nothing that runs and does the job is hopeless, dude! Although....If by "hopeless" you mean they weren't going to get 10GHz, let alone 5 out of it, maybe you're right heh heh

Fair enough. But while I was being a bit hyperbolic on the NetBurst being crap front (my Prescott ran things just fine), it did rankle a bit when the desktop Pentium M boards started showing up mere months after I bought a Prescott P4 to replace the aging Northwood one. More so than any other just-after-I-bought-it launch has ever since, in fact.

I remember back when the Pentium D 805 was ~$90 at the same time AMD FX-60 was king @ ~$1k.
Bought one off NewEgg early '06 for giggles, because I knew it was a couple of "Press-hots" pretty much glued together with HT disabled. I thought worst-case, it could at least double as a game server and room heater. Well, it matched and/or beat stock FX-60 in most benchmarks at 4GHz. It was winter too, bonus. From 2001-2005 I had 5 AXPs, 3 A64s, 2 P4s with HT, and that PD. I still say, it was Conroe that put Netburst in the worst light. Yet, Netburst clocked high can still surf the web just fine and play many awesome older games. Single-core Netburst with HT has aged a lot better than single-core A64 has.

@las Bulldozers aren't anywhere near as bad as folks here make them out to be, IMHO, but I agree that the FX9000s were a disaster. Those CPUs beat the holy hell out of mobos. I choose to remember the FX-51 to FX-60 as AMD FX greatness - otherwise FX died harder than Bruce Willis.

@Chloe Price: I never said Netburst was the first 4GHz, I was actually thinking it was the 4790K. Looking it up, turns out it was AMD's 4170. Minun mokani! :D

@[XC] Oj101: Yes it is true. Netburst's instruction pipeline was lengthened intentionally to be able to clock higher. Between Northwood and Prescott it was lengthened yet again. OFFC the IPC was going to be worse, that was to be expected, hurrrr. Clockspeed trumps latency if it's high enough, old pun intended.

Lol, great post!

I recall having a P4 660. the 670s were in short supply in my part of the world then & being able to clock the FSB to get 4GHz out of that baby.. Heck, I think I still have it among my CPU collection of 100+
Problem was mobo vendors did not do a great job of VRM tech back then so it was a bit of a "silicon lottery" if one was to get a good chip & stable mobo to do that.

Agree with the commentary about AMD FX line, there were reports several yrs back about how devs used Intel compilers to make code & obviously it did not favor FX performance.. the silicon wars can get VERY nasty & sneaky! :( but shhhhh, don't tell the Intel fanbois that! :laugh:

My current gaming rig is lucky in so much that I can run daily almost touching 5Ghz from FX-8350 with high end air cooling, glad Asus mobo & Titanium range of PSU available help it be consistent. :)