• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is ATI ever going to solve the Radeon VPU recover/freeze problem?

I disagree--I think it IS a widespread issue, but enough people don't complain about it to make it more visible; they just dump ATi for Nvidia and fix the problem that way.

I have a BBA Radeon 1950 Pro with the latest Catalyst drivers (01/13/08 IIRC) and this has been an ongoing problem since I got the card about a month ago. :banghead: I get the VPU recovery about once a week or sometimes more often--I haven't really been counting--and NOT while gaming. Prior to that, I used eVGA 8600GT on the same rig for six months with NO crashes--even when gaming!

So, weighing in on the topic title, if the VPU recovery errors have been appearing since 9xxx series, and still are, NO! it will likely never be fixed.

PSU: OCZ Modstream 450 - 450W: +3.3V(28A), +5V(45A), +12V(26A) (I do not think it is a lack of power issue...)

Last edited:

ChillyMyst

I disagree--I think it IS a widespread issue, but enough people don't complain about it to make it more visible; they just dump ATi for Nvidia and fix the problem that way.

I have a BBA Radeon 1950 Pro with the latest Catalyst drivers (01/13/08 IIRC) and this has been an ongoing problem since I got the card about a month ago. :banghead: I get the VPU recovery about once a week or sometimes more often--I haven't really been counting--and NOT while gaming. Prior to that, I used eVGA 8600GT on the same rig for six months with NO crashes--even when gaming!

So, weighing in on the topic title, if the VPU recovery errors have been appearing since 9xxx series, and still are, NO! it will likely never be fixed.

PSU: OCZ Modstream 450 - 450W: +3.3V(28A), +5V(45A), +12V(26A) (I do not think it is a lack of power issue...)

update your os, if your not up on the current service packs that can cause problems.

update your directX version using the latist redistributable version of dx.

use driver cleaner in safe mode to remove the ati drivers then reinstall them.

i only had VPU recovery issues when something else in the system was causing it or i was overclocked to high/gpu was over heating.

and this isnt a huge wide spred issue, it happens but isnt all that common anymore, mostly in my exp it tends to be related to lack of updated os/dx versions or at times other drivers on the system not being up to date such as sound driver( some older sound drivers had real issues, realtek,creative and some others put out drivers that caused my 9800pro and x800 to vpu recover on me, when i updated the drivers or removed them BAM working fine again!!!

Dranoweb.com

Hmm... It seems I have found a few people's "pet peeves" as they put it.

To clarify on my original post:

* I had not taken the time to read the date before posting.
* Yes my current mainframe is crap
* Objections noted
* I have yet to find stable drivers for my 9550, but no longer care.
* service packs indeed help, but do not solve the problem.
* Subsequent posts have been extremely helpful in diagnosing issues with a large number of outdated computers that I am still forced to maintain for a local business.

Lastly I would like to add - that just because something is old, does not mean the problems caused by it just dissappear.

System Name Poseidon Magma
Processor Q6600 @3.3ghz
Motherboard MSI P45 Zilent
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 (MX-2)
Memory Corsair 2x2gb (978mhz @ 5-5-5-15)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 275 (660/1460/1200)
Storage Samsung F1 500gb
Display(s) Acer P235H
Case Gigabyte Poseiden
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Gamer
Power Supply Corsair HX450w
Software W7 64
I've been experiencing a lot of VPU recover lately.
My rig has been running fine for many months with no issues and in the past month I've had a vpu recover every other day. Can't remember exactly what I installed but I have a feeling it started happening when I use ccleaner to clear ATI files and
I've reinstalled ccc numeroud times now and different versions (of ones I've used previously and the newer ones), resintalled the games its recovering from.

Definitely not heat/overclocking related as I've been running these clocks for many months with no issues, I've even gone back stock or mildly OC'd to see if things changed.

I think some file has been deleted/corrupted when I ran ccleaner.

I think an OS reinstall would be the solution since info on fixing vpu recover is scarce.

Dranoweb.com

After many hours of fault finding and stripping the mainframe back to nothing and together again, various fixes, firmware, os's and other junk.

I have basically come to a realisation.

The system was steady as a rock and reliable until I did two things:

(Note that the system originally was contructed using explusively nvidia chipsets for everything.)

1: Changed to a non-nvidia chipset card
2: Added a dissimilar branded memory stick.

VPU recover and other instabilities have diminished since I fitted two identical ram sticks.

The 9550 I think may have some congenital faults, or quirks that simply do not work with my configuration, just as the old riva tnt2's had with gigabyte boards.

they produced a gigabyte compatible riva tnt2 to solve that issue.

in this day and age and for the cost, I think I'll just rebuld the mainframe and consign the old one to non graphical dependant tasks, such as a telemarketing filter. I'll have it replay the "this line is disconnected, please check the number and try again" message to blacklisted or private numbers.

That should also put to use a few of my ancient fax/modems.

System Name Main rig
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus Strix X570-E Motherboard
Cooling Castle 240EX v2 AIO
Memory 2x16GB GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage 2x1TB M.2 - 3TB Spinny Boi
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF
Case Lian Li 011 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) UAD Apollo
Power Supply Thermaltake GF1 ARGB 850W
Mouse Steelseries Aerox 5 Wireless
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7 TKL blue switches
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
1: Changed to a non-nvidia chipset card
2: Added a dissimilar branded memory stick.

So you either reinstalled after you swapped brands or completely got rid of Nvidia anything on your comp?

Dissimilar branded stick could create instability.

Dranoweb.com

Well I replaced a lower end, Nvidia card, with a higher end 9550 ATI. During this process the remaining nidia chipset hardware remained part of the machine.

System Name Main rig
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus Strix X570-E Motherboard
Cooling Castle 240EX v2 AIO
Memory 2x16GB GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage 2x1TB M.2 - 3TB Spinny Boi
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF
Case Lian Li 011 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) UAD Apollo
Power Supply Thermaltake GF1 ARGB 850W
Mouse Steelseries Aerox 5 Wireless
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7 TKL blue switches
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Well I replaced a lower end, Nvidia card, with a higher end 9550 ATI. During this process the remaining nidia chipset hardware remained part of the machine.

You ran integrated Nvida then?

I think what he meant was, the mainboard uses Nvidia chipset, drivers; integrated things like sb/nb, VGA/NIC run on Nvidia software. The graphics card itself was what he changed (Ati).

BTW, I did all the troubleshooting steps (and more) that a poster recommended after I commented on ATi's failure to address the VPU recover errors. The errors/failures still occurred, it didn't matter what version of the ATi drivers I used. I eventually abandoned ATi and bought another Nvidia card, 8800GT. Problem solved (see my earlier post). :rockout:

I believe my mainboard at the time of my posting was an ECS something with Nvidia chipset as well (aha?). Prior card on that board was an 8600GT (Nvidia!). Maybe some ATi just doesn't play well with Nvidia (in some configurations).

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700 @ 3.825ghz 1.36v
Motherboard ASRock x370 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-C14s
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 16gb 3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 ti
Display(s) LG 4k IPS
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 + more fans
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA P2 750w
Mouse G900
Keyboard G810
Software Windows 10 Pro
I havent had vpu recover problems in years. Last time I had one was when I was OCing on my 9800SE moded to pro.