• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Japanese OEM Tosses Out GTX TITAN X Heatsink for AIO Liquid Cooler

Processor 5800x
Motherboard b550-e
Cooling full - custom liquid loop
Memory cl16 - 32gb
Video Card(s) 6800xt
Storage nvme 1TB + ssd 750gb
Display(s) xg32vc
Case hyte y60
Power Supply 1000W - gold
Software 10
I 100% agree. Noctua needs a new color besides poop.

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Japanese OEM gaming PC builder Sycom addressed the biggest shortcoming of reference NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X - heat (which runs into a thermal throttle too often), and the resulting noise (rivaling that of a Radeon R9 290X reference)

While I agree the NVTTM cooler may have reached the end of the line, I wonder if you have actually been able to hear the card at full load to make such a statement.

I own an XFX 290X that came with the reference cooler and once it hit 94 degrees the noise levels were much higher in both intensity and pitch when compared to what I get from my Titan-X, even at full load.

Not only that but even after heavy benchmarking and gaming, the throttling isn't nearly as bad as what I got from my 290X before I installed an AIO cooler to it. In fact, I've never seen the Titan-X throttle lower than the advertised base clock (1127MHz for this model in particular) whereas my 290X would go often go into the 700MHz range after heavy gaming.

But don't take my word for it:

Much like GTX Titan X’s power profile, GTX Titan X’s noise profile almost perfectly mirrors the GTX 780 Ti. With the card hitting 51.3dB(A) under Crysis 3 and 52.4dB(A) under FurMark, it is respectively only 0.4dB and 0.1dB off from the GTX 780 Ti. From a practical perspective what this means is that the GTX Titan X isn’t quite the hushed card that was the GTX 980 – nor with a 250W TDP would we expect it to be – but for its chart-topping gaming performance it delivers some very impressive acoustics. The Titan cooler continues to serve NVIDIA well, allowing them to dissipate 250W in a blower without making a lot of noise in the process.

Overall then, from a power/temp/noise perspective the GTX Titan X is every bit as impressive as the original GTX Titan and its GTX 780 Ti sibling. Thanks to the Maxwell architecture and Titan cooler, NVIDIA has been able to deliver a 50% increase in gaming performance over the GTX 780 Ti without an increase in power consumption or noise, leading to NVIDIA once again delivering a flagship video card that can top the performance charts without unnecessarily sacrificing power consumption or noise.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9059/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-review/16

Noise levels aren't nearly as close to those of the reference 290X card (dB scale is logarithmic)

The following table summarizes the situation a little differently. First, we ascertain fan speed in a closed case. That value is then dialed in manually on an open test bench. This way, we get around the fact that you just can’t measure a graphics card on its own in a closed case with the rest of the system running.

Open Case (Test Bench)Open Case (Fixed RPM, Case Simulation)Closed Case (Full System)
Idle
31.2 dB(A)N/AN/A
Gaming Loop44.2 db(A)44.5 dB(A)39.7 dB(A)
Apart from the fact that GeForce Titan X can’t hold its maximum GPU Boost frequency over prolonged periods of time, Nvidia’s reference cooler is still the benchmark that all other direct heat exhaust (DHE) coolers are measured against.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-gm200-maxwell,4091-6.html

From the review posted here at TPU:

Compare it to this:

As for the heavy throttling, this was just a very short run, but the card never goes under 1127MHz base clock while under load:

And yes, like I said, GM200 screams for a water cooling setup, but the reference cooler isn't as bad as some people think, I hope this clears that up ;)

Am I the only one who is confused why no one is complaining about how load the $1000 Titan X is? A $550 card launches and beats a $1000 card by a solid 10%+. But it is loud...Oh no!

Then the Titan X launches and is just about as loud and yet everyone acts like it is business as usual to have that kind of noise in a $1000 card.

System Name Blackbird
Processor AMD Threadripper 3960X 24-core
Motherboard Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Master
Cooling Full custom-loop water cooling, mostly Aqua Computer and EKWB stuff!
Memory 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident-Z RGB @3733-CL14
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Storage Samsung 950PRO 512GB, Crusial P5 2TB, Samsung 850PRO 1TB
Display(s) LG 38GN950-B 38" IPS TFT, Dell U3011 30" IPS TFT
Case CaseLabs TH10A
Audio Device(s) Edifier S1000DB
Power Supply ASUS ROG Thor 1200W (SeaSonic)
Mouse Logitech MX Master
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex M800
Software MS Windows 10 Pro for Workstation
Benchmark Scores A lot.
Am I the only one who is confused why no one is complaining about how load the $1000 Titan X is? A $550 card launches and beats a $1000 card by a solid 10%+. But it is loud...Oh no!

Then the Titan X launches and is just about as loud and yet everyone acts like it is business as usual to have that kind of noise in a $1000 card.

For me the noise of the stock cooler doesn't matter at all. I would never use such a card (nor any other card which requires cooling) without a decent waterblock on it. :)

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit

So, did you even read my post above? You do realize the dB scale is logarithmic right? We are talking about an order of magnitude louder than Titan-X :wtf:

Why spread such miss information? :confused:

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Processor intel i7 3770 *Dellided*
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.1
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Memory 16GB DRR3 Kingoston with Custom Tt spreaders + HyperX Fan
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 980 4GB Nvidia Sample
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
Display(s) 22" LG FLATRON 1920 x 1280p
Case Thermaltake Commander G42 Window
Audio Device(s) On-board Dolby 5.1+ Kingston HyperX Cloud 1
Power Supply Themaltake TR2 700W 80plus bronce & APC Pro backup 1000Va
Mouse Tt eSports Level 10M Rev 1.0 Diamond Black & Tt Conkor "L" mouse pad
Keyboard Tt eSports KNUCKER
Software windows 10x64Pro
Benchmark Scores well I've fried a 775' P4 12 years ago, that counts?

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10

The (UK) release price of the 295x2 was £1200. It's since been forced by market pressures to a £600 price point.
Comparing the current price of a product that released £300 more than Titan X release price is a school boy error. In logical terms, the release price should be compared.
However, the general review consensus is that although far louder than the very quiet 980, Titan X isn't anywhere near as bad as 290X levels.
Regardless, as 15thWarlock suggests it really requires water to shine.

The 295x2 is a fantastic card but the fact it's been forced to near 980 pricing demonstrates the market pressures that have (unfortunately) kept Nvidia's offerings at their inflated price point.
Hopefully the 390x rectifies this.

Last edited: