• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Kagi: $5/month for a search engine in 2024?

Isnt the take away that a search engine will not make you any smarter? Information IS NOT knowledge.

Thats also why AI generated search wont ever go places. Its a self defeating exercise. If nobody applies knowledge you can refine search all you want, but on what basis? Most common denominator? Oldest person writing it down? Whatever we feed it?

Garbage in, garbage out. Look at mishaps in business and government lately. Like Boeing. A lot of people dont even know how to help themselves. Knowledge is outsourced, new talent has Googled its information to a degree.

A lot of people stopped learning skills - they learned how to play the system, the algorithm of how things work and then 'disrupt' something to make money. Nobody is any wiser for it. I rank Kagi in that same category I think.

The issue is that in practice, I don't need search when I already know a thing.

I use search because I don't know a thing . I can test search-quality on knowledge I already have, but I can't test search-quality on knowledge I don't have (aka: the actual use of these tools).

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Pagination under review.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus Block, HWLABS Copper 240/40 + 240/30, D5/Res, 4x Noctua A12x25, 2x A4x10, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MT 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FCLK, 160 ns tRFC, active cooled
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply SF750 Plat, full transparent custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 8 KHz Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White, Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19044.4046
Benchmark Scores Legendary
Still using it myself, pretty happy. I've got it on one of the browsers on my phone now, my laptop, and my desktop. I don't miss Google or other search engines, but I do notice the baked in adverts when I accidentally or am forced to use them (Opera, can you allow custom search engine defaults instead of just the Google/Bing/Wiki etc on phone).

Looks like the service is pretty successful, apparently they are now profitable, and have had additional investment.

Of course, 25000 users is something many people would laugh at, but they're paid users, and the growth seems to be steady. Seems most of the clientele are somewhat IT focused or can comfortably afford a small subscription for something as used as a search engine. Something I realised is that the 300 searches from the $5 a month plan go quickly, it's interesting how much you do a search without realising. So I'm happily using the $10/month unlimited.

I quite like having GPT 4.5 access included in the subscription if I want it, the summarizer is quite good. Although I generally don't rely on AI and steer away from using it most of the time, having access to the paid version of GPT if I want to use it is nice.

1718013045590.png

I guess I wouldn't be so comfortable adding another subscription/recurrent fee to my life if I hadn't already pruned away something like 80% of the direct debits/rolling contracts etc. I had at one point. But quite happy to pay for the remaining 20% since they improve my quality of life a fair bit.

I'm learning to use the lenses more, and being able to prioritize or ban certain domains from the results is actually incredibly nice, never seeing a pinterest post or whatever again :D:love:.

I'm also quite appreciative of how open the development is, with changelogs and credits to users/developers.

The Wolfram Alpha integration is pretty neat too, but I only really use that at certain times for academic reasons, it's not something I commonly use.

I do wish the Orion Browser was for more than just Mac/IOS though, it seems pretty cool.

Anyway, my thoughts after a few months of usage.

The focus on Open Source where possible is something I strongly support, and hopefully this project continues in the same vein it has so far.

1718013749848.png

This is not a paid endorsement, review or anything of the kind BTW, this is my private opinion after using the service for a while with my own money.