• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Kingston Hyper-X KHX2000C8 Reviewed + AM3 DDR Clock Wall Broken!

EnJoY

Resident Overclocker Chew* has been busy in his lab again today, and this time he has more than a few treats for us. First up is his review the Kingston Hyper-X KHX2000C8D3T1K3/3GX triple-channel memory kit. He purchased the kit retail from Newegg as an inexpensive set for use in benching, but what he got was more than he had bargained for. While the kit itself proved to be a solid performer, however the real surprise came as he was finishing up his testing.

Chew* decided to make a late night of it after gaining some inspiration from Dinos22, another well known Overclocker from Australia. After some trial and error and some extra tweaking, he did something that no other person has yet to do thus far – BREAK THE AMD DDR 960MHZ CLOCK BARRIER! For those who don’t know, for awhile now it has been assumed that a hard limitation was present within the Phenom II IMC that would not allow memory clocks past a certain point, that point being 960MHz. While many had tried in the past, the majority of tweakers were usually stopped hard at around ~955MHz. Today Chew* sets a new World Record for AMD DDR clock speed, with 973MHz!

To read the full review with all of the details on the new WR, check out this thread in the TechREACTION forums.

EnJoY

I have this memory. Nice job on the record.

It seems to be a good set for the money for sure. And yea, the record blew me away when he showed me it. Anyone who's been doing serious benching with Phenom II knows how huge this is. :)