• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

LACP vs 10GbE Questions

System Name Sierra ~ Server
Processor Core i5-11600K ~ Core i3-12100
Motherboard Asus Prime B560M-A AC ~ MSI PRO B760M-P
Cooling CM 212 Black RGB Edition ~ Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 64GB (2x 32GB) DDR4-3600 ~ 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 6950 XT ~ EVGA GeForce GTX 970
Storage 4TB Samsung 990 Pro with Heatsink NVMe SSD ~ 2TB Kingston NV1 NVMe SSD + 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell S2721QS 4K 60Hz ~ N/A
Case Asus Prime AP201 - Open Frame Chassis
Power Supply Thermaltake GF1 850W ~ Thermaltake Smart 500W
Software Windows 11 Pro ~ Proxmox VE
Benchmark Scores Laptops: Dell Latitude E7270, Dell Latitude 14 Rugged 5420.
Here's my situation... I have Gigabit internet service, a Plex server with NZBGet, Sonaar, and Radaar running on it, and a NAS. I wanted to upgrade everything to 10GbE but that's expensive... So I'm thinking of buying a managed switch with LACP support and using two gigabit connections on the Plex server and on the NAS.

First off, I understand that I will not achieve 2Gbps file transfer speeds. Rather, the way it works is I get two concurrent 1Gbps connections. This works for me, because for example if I'm transferring a file from the Plex server to the NAS but also downloading from my gigabit internet I won't experience any slow down. Or if I'm moving data between the Plex server and the NAS but also accessing something on the NAS from my PC...
Or at least that's how I think it's gonna work, right?

Any suggestions on good and cheap dual port NICs that support LACP properly under Win10 Pro x64 which all my computers are running.

For a switch I like Ubiquiti EdgeStuff but it's overkill for this purpose so I'm thinking of the TP-Link T1500G-10PS. I've had good experiences with TP-Link in the past.

I've attached a detailed masterpiece of art on my proposed setup. Thanks in advance for any help.

20190812_183451.jpg

Processor i7 3770k @4.3GHZ
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory g.skill Sniper 1600 4GB x4
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX480 4GB
Storage Crucial MX100 x2
Display(s) LG 25UM56-P 25"
Case Antec 1100
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Roccat Kone EMP
Keyboard CM Storm Trigger
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/27435174
Here's my situation... I have Gigabit internet service, a Plex server with NZBGet, Sonaar, and Radaar running on it, and a NAS. I wanted to upgrade everything to 10GbE but that's expensive... So I'm thinking of buying a managed switch with LACP support and using two gigabit connections on the Plex server and on the NAS.

First off, I understand that I will not achieve 2Gbps file transfer speeds. Rather, the way it works is I get two concurrent 1Gbps connections. This works for me, because for example if I'm transferring a file from the Plex server to the NAS but also downloading from my gigabit internet I won't experience any slow down. Or if I'm moving data between the Plex server and the NAS but also accessing something on the NAS from my PC...
Or at least that's how I think it's gonna work, right?

Yes, assuming you don't hit a bottleneck somewhere else. There's some overhead in addition to not getting a larger maximum throughput, you won't get 1+1+ speeds for every link you add. But you'll get more provided you have separate sessions as in your example.

I tested it on a Cisco switch before using intentionally bottlenecked speeds of 10mbps on the individual LACP group members just to see what it would do, and I got about 190% of the total throughput if I was doing large file transfers. And that was just using the load balancing on the switch only, not using a proper LACP capable NIC/HBA so it might work better that way.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Link aggregation seems to be a bit hit and miss, but yes, it should allow the NAS to work better with multiple clients.
You didn't specify what the NAS or Plex server is in terms of hardware, so make sure they support link aggregation.
I can say from experience that some NAS appliances doesn't do a great job of link aggregation and you need to hit a certain throughput before it kicks in, so if you're not hitting a combined throughput above Gigabit speed, you might never see any benefit from the link aggregation.

I'd suggest getting an Intel based NIC if you're going down this route, again, assuming your devices support it.
Maybe something along the lines of this?
Or this
Or even this

Have you considered another alternative to 10Gbps, such as 2.5Gbps or 5Gbps?

You can get a 2.5Gbps Ethernet card for the same cost as the dual Gigabit cards.
Yes, it's Realtek based, but judging by my quick testing, the performance isn't half bad.

If you want more than two ports, you might run into issues finding an affordable switch.
This is your best bet for a 8+2 port switch with Gigabit and 2.5-10Gbps ports right now.

If you want more 2.5Gbps ports, then this is the way to go.

Yes, the switch will be a lot more expensive than going with Gigabit Ethernet, but your'e also starting to build a more future proof network.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
What os is the Plex server? On 2012 r2 you can make a team that doesn't even depend on the switch setup and can even be done with "dumb" switches..

I even have a trick to get wired and wireless teamed lol

This site has some teaming info http://techgenix.com/nic-teaming-windows-server-2012/amp/