• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop i7 11800H Throttling Immediately

jez_0

If anyone can assist with this I would be extremely grateful. I bought this gaming laptop 3 years ago and have been very disappointed by it in terms of actual game performance. I struggle to get decent consistent frame rates in most games even though my specs indicate that I do meet recommended requirements most of the time. I even struggle to get 30 fps at 1440p on low settings sometimes.

CPU - i7 11800H
GPU - Nvidia 3080
Ram - 32GB
HDD - Samsung 980 1TB

I have known for a while that the CPU has been throttling almost immediately. My idle temps are currently around 40-45 degrees and with no adjustments shoot up to 95+ within a few seconds of turbo being activated. I know this appears to be a common issue with most gaming laptops due to their inefficient cooling. I may very well need to re-do thermal paste but just thought I would try ThrottleStop. In regard to my performance issues in games, I genuinely have no idea if it is related to throttling but suspect it may be.

So far I have tried putting an offset voltage of -70 or so which didn't seem to make much difference at all. The biggest difference has come from changing the max speed shift to 35 instead of the original 46. My temps still get high, around the high 80's but seems to have stopped the throttling. I was just wondering if there was anything else I could possibly change, including under-volting again to improve both game performance, my temps and fan noise etc.

I just don't want to lose too much performance if i can help it, even though it's not great to begin with.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Post screenshots of the FIVR and TPL windows so I can see your settings and what options are available to you.

an offset voltage of -70
Did you undervolt both the core and the cache? For most CPUs, you have to undervolt both.

jez_0

Thank you.

I did apply the offset to both core and cache. I am sure it must have made a difference, just no where near enough to stop it throttling.

TS1.jpg

TS2.jpg

TS3.jpg

TS4.jpg

unclewebb

ThrottleStop FIVR voltage control does not do anything until you disable VBS. Follow the link in my signature. Delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file. Post an updated FIVR screenshot.

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
Could be dusty inside your chassis and the fans, maybe the thermal paste has dried

jez_0

ThrottleStop FIVR voltage control does not do anything until you disable VBS. Follow the link in my signature. Delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file. Post an updated FIVR screenshot.

Thank you for this, it has now been turned off.

TS5.jpg

unclewebb

That looks better. Have you tried undervolting? Any values you request in the middle of the FIVR window should show up in the FIVR monitoring table at the top right as soon as you push the Apply button. Typical values that will be stable are usually somewhere around -50 mV to -75 mV for the core and the cache. It will not make a huge difference but when living on the edge of thermal throttling, every little bit helps.

I would set IccMax to the max, 255.75, for both the core and the cache.

jez_0

That looks better. Have you tried undervolting? Any values you request in the middle of the FIVR window should show up in the FIVR monitoring table at the top right as soon as you push the Apply button. Typical values that will be stable are usually somewhere around -50 mV to -75 mV for the core and the cache. It will not make a huge difference but when living on the edge of thermal throttling, every little bit helps.

I would set IccMax to the max, 255.75, for both the core and the cache.

I did try a few things out. Undervolted to -75 but eventually the computer would just freeze. I think i was okay with around -70 or so though. Sadly didn't make much difference to the temps. The only way I can stop thermal throttling is to drop the boost clock to 3.5. Anything above it or with at least a 45w power draw gets the temps to the 90's and above. I was quite shocked when i first tried it again as I didn't undervolt, but just changed the boost clock to 4, then 3.9 etc. with a 4 second turbo time limit but even then the temps were shooting up to the 90's and my system ended up powering down due to being at 100 degrees for an extended amount of time. These temps are getting hit within 10 seconds of any pkg power above 40w.

I appreciate that laptops have their issues but I watched someone on YouTube a few days ago, with the same CPU and they were able to keep their temps in the 70's with a pkg power somewhere in the 60's and what appeared to be full boost clocks with just an undervolt of -70 or so. My temperature profile seems so extreme that its almost pointless using the system at all.

I think I am going to have to take a look at the paste just to rule that out. I suppose it doesn't help that the GPU is most likely fairly close to the CPU on the board and that is also hitting temps in the high 80's.

unclewebb

take a look at the paste
Some popular thermal pastes can quickly pump out when run at high temperatures. Lots of people have had success with using Honeywell PTM 7950. Most manufacturers are negligent for only engineering barely adequate cooling for their high performance laptops. Your CPU supports +400 MHz of overclocking. Not a chance you can ever use that feature with your present cooling issues.

jez_0

Some popular thermal pastes can quickly pump out when run at high temperatures. Lots of people have had success with using Honeywell PTM 7950. Most manufacturers are negligent for only engineering barely adequate cooling for their high performance laptops. Your CPU supports +400 MHz of overclocking. Not a chance you can ever use that feature with your present cooling issues.
Weirdly enough I actually ordered some PTM 7950 earlier today. Hopefully it can help a little fingers crossed.

saleslucas

Hi guys,

I'm going thru the same issues as almost every 11800H owner... Temps running high and BSOD in basically every tests.

Opened my laptop 2 times, repaste with Thermalright TFX the first time and temps were high, opened again, cleaned everything, put some K5 Pro on the vrams etc., TFX on the processor, close, same history: 95C throttling.

At this current setup it "seems" to be stable, but I believe 50W is TOO LOW, isn't it?

Below are my configs and log. If someone could shine a light on this situation I would be very grateful!

Oh btw my Cinebench 2024 test run from yesterday was 578 points.

EDIT: My laptop is a MSI GS66 Stealth 11UE-007 - i7 11800H - 16GB RAM - RTX 3060

Attachments

• 2024-05-14.txt
    5.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 2024-05-13 (2).txt
    362.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 2024-05-13 (1).txt
    15.6 KB · Views: 10
  • FVIR - CPU CACHE.png
    FVIR - CPU CACHE.png
    303.1 KB · Views: 20
  • FVIR - CPU CORE.png
    FVIR - CPU CORE.png
    304.4 KB · Views: 17
  • MAIN SCREEN.png
    MAIN SCREEN.png
    165.5 KB · Views: 18
  • TPL.png
    TPL.png
    91.4 KB · Views: 18

unclewebb

BSOD in basically every tests
You should never be seeing a BSOD in any test. Reduce your undervolt until you are stable. You might be forced to run your 11800H at close to default voltage. Set the offset voltages equally or set the core to a slightly bigger number compared to the cache. Your screenshot shows that your undervolt values are reversed.

shine a light on this situation
The situation is that thin laptops with high performance CPUs combined with a Nvidia GPU are often times a bad joke. The heat your CPU can put out when allowed to run at full speed can overwhelm a thin and light cooling solution.

I believe 50W is TOO LOW
The 11800H has a 45W TDP rating. The cooling system is inadequate to run it at much more than 45W to 50W when the Nvidia GPU is active. That is kind of sad. These CPUs support overclocking and could easily run at up to 100W if they were installed in laptops with more than barely adequate cooling. You can try using a different paste like Honeywell PTM 7950 but it might not make much of a difference. The MSI thin and light engineers won out over the MSI performance and adequate cooling engineers.

saleslucas

You should never be seeing a BSOD in any test. Reduce your undervolt until you are stable. You might be forced to run your 11800H at close to default voltage. Set the offset voltages equally or set the core to a slightly bigger number compared to the cache. Your screenshot shows that your undervolt values are reversed.

The situation is that thin laptops with high performance CPUs combined with a Nvidia GPU are often times a bad joke. The heat your CPU can put out when allowed to run at full speed can overwhelm a thin and light cooling solution.

The 11800H has a 45W TDP rating. The cooling system is inadequate to run it at much more than 45W to 50W when the Nvidia GPU is active. That is kind of sad. These CPUs support overclocking and could easily run at up to 100W if they were installed in laptops with more than barely adequate cooling. You can try using a different paste like Honeywell PTM 7950 but it might not make much of a difference. The MSI thin and light engineers won out over the MSI performance and adequate cooling engineers.
Thanks for the word of wisdom!

I ordered a 80x40 PTM7950 and once I get it and install I’ll come back here.

I had it wrong about the voltages, thought that cache should be bigger than core lol

I’ll run some tests after tweaking the voltages to a more stable config as well.

cheers!

System Name Asus G16
Processor i9 13980HX
Motherboard Asus motherboard
Cooling 2 fans
Memory 32gb 4800mhz cl40
Video Card(s) 4080 laptop
Storage 16tb, x2 8tb SSD
Display(s) QHD+ 16:10 (2560x1600, WQXGA) 240hz
Power Supply 330w psu
Thanks for the word of wisdom!

I ordered a 80x40 PTM7950 and once I get it and install I’ll come back here.

I had it wrong about the voltages, thought that cache should be bigger than core lol

I’ll run some tests after tweaking the voltages to a more stable config as well.

cheers!
The issue is, its a MSI stealth laptop, its a thin and light laptop. I once had a GP76 for about a year, same processor, bigger than the stealth but the cooling was alot better. Any MSI slteath model dont have good cooling or their GPU is under-powered. The 3060 normally can run upto 115w, but on the stealth it might be only 80w.

jez_0

I applied the 7950 and it does seem to have helped very slightly but not a huge improvement. One thing I have noticed and this was before applying and I feel fairly soon after I started trying a few things out with Throttlestop. Every now and again from a cold startup once I am into Windows, I can hear what sounds like a fan stop running. Upon checking the factory installed fan software, either my GPU or CPU fan completely stops and goes to 0%. Then shortly after that the fan that is still running also drops to 0%. The longest I have left it while realizing that this has happened is around 10 seconds. In that time the fans do not power back up and when the laptop restarts again the fans work as expected but CPU temp spikes to around 60+ due to the fan not running previously.

I have no idea if this is intended behavior and I just haven't noticed before and the fans at some point will kick back in. It just seems very odd to me that the Laptop would decide to completely turn off both fans even if idle temps are pretty low at the time. Its only something I have noticed since I started using Throttlestop, no idea if a slight -40 undervolt or any other setting could cause this but I really haven't changed that much.

System Name ASUS TUF F15
Processor Intel Core i5-10300H
Motherboard ASUS FX506LHB
Cooling Laptop built-in cooling lol
Memory 20GB @ 2666 Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Intel UHD & Nvidia GTX 1650 Mobile
Storage WD Black SN770 NVMe 1TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) Laptop built-in 144 Hz FHD screen
Audio Device(s) LOGITECH 2.1-channel
Power Supply ASUS 180W PSU (from more powerful ASUS TUF DASH F15 lol)
Mouse Logitech G604
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL
Software Windows 10
If anyone can assist with this I would be extremely grateful. I bought this gaming laptop 3 years ago and have been very disappointed by it in terms of actual game performance. I struggle to get decent consistent frame rates in most games even though my specs indicate that I do meet recommended requirements most of the time. I even struggle to get 30 fps at 1440p on low settings sometimes.

CPU - i7 11800H
GPU - Nvidia 3080
Ram - 32GB
HDD - Samsung 980 1TB

I have known for a while that the CPU has been throttling almost immediately. My idle temps are currently around 40-45 degrees and with no adjustments shoot up to 95+ within a few seconds of turbo being activated. I know this appears to be a common issue with most gaming laptops due to their inefficient cooling. I may very well need to re-do thermal paste but just thought I would try ThrottleStop. In regard to my performance issues in games, I genuinely have no idea if it is related to throttling but suspect it may be.

So far I have tried putting an offset voltage of -70 or so which didn't seem to make much difference at all. The biggest difference has come from changing the max speed shift to 35 instead of the original 46. My temps still get high, around the high 80's but seems to have stopped the throttling. I was just wondering if there was anything else I could possibly change, including under-volting again to improve both game performance, my temps and fan noise etc.

I just don't want to lose too much performance if i can help it, even though it's not great to begin with.
Yeah, this is pretty hot CPU. And you have 3080 too. No wonder thing WILL throttle. Here people advise using thermal pad TIM from Honeywell. Try this better instead of paste. Should help. BIOSes (oh, sorry, UEFI) are locked now for all ya favorite ***turbating game with voltages. Try cooling pad, even plain "rising" on desk from surface without fan helps massively.