• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell Inspiron 6400, been solid for 7 months but now the "tab", "caps lock", and left "shift" buttons dont work.

Any ideas what i can do other than sending it in to be fixed? Still under warranty.

Last edited:

FatForester

Processor Intel e2180 2.0ghz @ 2.8ghz w/ stock volts
Motherboard ASUS P5K-e Wifi-AP
Cooling Zalman 9500 w/ AS5
Memory G.Skill Black PI's DDR2 @ 896MHz 4-4-4-12 1.9v
Video Card(s) EVGA 8800GT w/ Zalman VF-900
Storage 2x Crucial C300 64GB, Samsung F3 2TB & 1TB, F1 1TB & 750GB
Display(s) ASUS VW246H 24" 16:9
Case Ultra / Chieftec Black Tower
Audio Device(s) X-fi XtremeMusic -> Z-5300e's
Power Supply PCP&C 610 Silencer
Software Windows 7 x64
Yea, sounds like your keys just got some gunk and grime in them. If you got a warranty, opening up your laptop might void it, especially if it's a big corp like Dell. It's better than sending it back and being without a computer for a while tho!

TheShadowFL

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400, been solid for 7 months but now the "tab", "caps lock", and left "shift" buttons dont work.

Any ideas what i can do other than sending it in to be fixed? Still under warranty.

You already answered the question yourself. "Still Under Warranty".

Don't touch it yourself, you can wreck the whole thing if you break something.
Then you void your warranty and YES it will cost you dearly to get it fixed.

The problem may even be in the keyboard decoder circuitry on the motherboard. Let Dell fix it for you!!!!

Do back up all your data files before you send in the PC.....if the problem is serious enough, they may just send you another unit (and your data files are gone forever).
The easyest way is to just burn everything to a CD or DVD.

Good Luck,
The Shadow :cool:

raefey

If your key is working properly then you can use this video tutorial to fix it back in place,
http://www.laptopkey.com/blog/?cat=19 ,but if the key itself is broken then you can also buy a replacement key. Its really not a big deal. You can buy new replacement laptop keys at http://www.laptopkey.com , for $4.99. Check it out. Helped me fix my "R" key last month.

Status
Not open for further replies.