• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop overclocking adventures

System Name COLOSSUS-MK4
Processor E8400 @4.4 GHz - FSB @550 MHZ
Motherboard Asus P5K Premium (Black Pearl)
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-S1283
Memory 2x1GB Geil BlckDrgn 800 @1158 5-5-5-18
Video Card(s) 8800GT 512MB @740/1782/2080
Storage Hitachi T7K250 250GB & 7200.10 Seagate 250GB
Display(s) Gateway FPD1975W 19" Widescreen
Case Antec 1200
Audio Device(s) Xi-FI Xtreme Audio
Power Supply CoolerMaster IGreen 500W
Software XP Home SP3
Benchmark Scores SuperPi: 10.563 Sciencemark: 2563.14
The Definitive Guide to Overclocking Laptops

Well I have a laptop and am sure that quite a few of you guys have one too. So I propose a Laptop OC record and primarily advice database. Due to these being laptops anyone with even a low OC is welcome as a post.
:cool:

The guides contained here for overclocking the CPU can also be applied to people who have a limited BIOS that does not allow them to overclock - I do not take any responsibility for any damage you may inflict on your hardware by following any of these methods

Current Elite Laptop Overclockers:
theonetruewill - Pentium M750 1.86GHz @ 2.25GHz - X600se mobility Radeon 358/276 @ 477/318 - 33.110 SuperPiXS 1M
kwchang007 - X1400 mobility
Tyrael - X1450 mobility Radeon 400/350 @ 520/486
acousticlemur - Pentium M740 1.73GHz @ 2.31GHz
pmrdij -
WarlordOne - Pentium M725 1.60GHz @ 2.40GHz *Pin-Modder* - 34.437 SuperPiXS 1M

Hello_Moto - Pentium M750 1.86GHz @ 2.33GHz - 37.XXX SuperPi 1M

Currently pending for updates and info on the selected few.

If someone in this thread helps you- thank them! There's even a button to show your appreciation:)

If you would like to post your overclocks and boast about them please note the following:
Stable Oc's only please.
EDIT: 3dmark03/05/06 score for proof. Or Orthos tested for over 4 hours.
A CPU-Z screenshot is also needed for validation.

Any case/internals modding welcome

This thread will also mainly involve information sharing about overclocking & tweaking Laptops in general; so don't worry if you don't want to risk frying your cpu! Also any general or specific questions/discussions about laptops can be posted here.

USE ATi TOOL 0.24 WHEN OVERCLOCKING LAPTOP GRAPHICS CARDS - 0.26 OFTEN FAILS TO CORRECTLY IDENTIFY THE CARD/CLOCKS For further information/problem solving about video card overclocking, see end guide by twisterdark

Need to unlock your Dell video card so you can overclock it? --->
look no further

Overclocking Tools:
CPUFSB Basic FSB changer. Use this to overclock your Laptop.
SoftFSB 1.7 -A substandard FSB changer - I'm not fond of it. Use this to overclock your Laptop.
SpeedSwitchXP -A tool to disable Speedstep on Intel processors.
Clockgen -The most user-friendly overclocking tool. *Recommended*
CPUMSR -A utility that can alter a lot of processor options. !Use with caution!
CPU-Z -Displays useful Computer Identification information. *Recommended*
Notebook Hardware Controls (NHC) -Best multipurpose program for Laptops. *Recommended*
Systool (Alpha release) -An early alpha release prone to crashing.
ATiTool 0.24 -The preferred tool for overclocking Laptop graphics cards. *Recommended*
ATiTool 0.26 -A newer but more troublesome version of ATiTool.
Rightmark Clock Utility -Useful Processor throttling and Speedstep controller
SetFSB - Great FSB Changer- Pick the right one for your chipset!*Recommended*
CPUHEAT - Made by the same company as CPUMSR. Seems to be an AMD overclocking utility so I'm afraid I can't try this one.
I8kfangui - Fan control for DELL laptops
SpeedSwitchXP - From the makers of I8kfangui, comes a very useful CPU frequency tool.
ATi Tray Tools - The alternative to ATi Tool; just as easy to use.*Recommended*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Quick Guide to Clockgen

First get Notebook Hardware controls
and in the CPU speed tab set at Max performance when on AC power. Leave it as normal for when you're on battery power and don't oc when on battery power or your system is more likely to crash. This is due to more power fluctuations when on battery power and could result in crashes and BSOD's - and as we don't currently have voltage control as standard on laptop motherboards voltage limit is our enemy.

Then with clockgen find your pll and select it.
There are only two ways to find out your pll generator once of them can void your warranty, and the other is time consuming. The latter is probably more preferable.

1. Open up your laptop, find it on the motherboard and then look at what it says it is. I don't advise this.

2. The other option is not for most people as it can void warranties, so instead you can just try with every pll generator in clockgen, until you get the correct one. Via trial and error

Right to do this accurately you'll need to open clockgen and do these exact instructions.
> Go to pll setup
> Then tick the box named "ignore GSB/PCI"
>Now select the first pll generator and then click read clocks.
> Open pll control and see if it reads 1862 (or very close, and I mean very close) EDIT: whatever your clock speed is supposed to be)
> If it does great go to step 3.
> If it doesn't, change the pll generator and click read clocks again. Check the Pll control cpu speed. and continue if necessary down the list.
> If noe of them seem to work, do them all again (ps some crash your computer, don't worry just reboot.)
> If none of them work again, you can go to systool but this is harder, reply to me if you want to know how to do this.

3. Right first you need Notebook Hardware Control With this you need to set your cpu to Max performance. This removes the Intel speedstep function that slows down your cpu to save battery life. But its not necessary when you're connected to the power plug.
Next trun up the Hard drive performance and noise level up to the highest it can go (performance and number wise). Then download orthos, this will test the stability.
Right now increase your cpu speed by about 100Mhz using the "pll control" slider in clockgen. Then do a stability test in orthos for about 30mins. The go to another 100Mhz and another 30mins, etc. after you reach your limit increase by smaller amounts. Then finally test for about 4 hours.
As soon you get an error in orthos or your computer crashes (BSOD) its too high so lower it to the previous good one and test orthos on that speed for about 2 hours. If no error, then great! if not then lower and repeat.

Notes:
Never set the clocks to appear at startup, just do it before each time you want a performance boost (ie gaming) Also Notebook Hardware controls (NHC) has a great feature to show the temperatures of your cpu and HDD. Don't lt the CPU ever go above 80 in my opinion. It shouldn't really be above 60 celcius most of the time. (Mine runs at 40-50) Also overclocking using clockgen increases the RAM also, thus further speeding up your PC!!!
k if you want to go down the systool route its risky.
Systool crashes A LOT! because its an early release, so if your computer crashes mulitple times just restart.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the above fails try systool:

METHOD 2 - Systool - Crash

Install Systool then run it, and go to;

a) Hardware monitoring > CPU overclocking.
b) Now you need to do the same thing as you did with clockgen. Go thorugh all of the pll's until you get the right one. There are two ways you can know if you have found it. Firstly systool will say " clock generator detected." However DON'T ASSUME THIS IS THE TRUTH! You will get a lot of false positives, so you also have to look at what clock readings it will give you. If you have set the Notebook Hardware controls to Max Performance (I should not have to keep reminding you!) for CPU speed. This is *1860MHz* approximately with the example cpu.
c) If it does say the correct speed, great. You can then try and move the fsb slider. Now only do this by small bits at a time, as otherwise you are going to crash your pc instantly and maybe even monumentally!
d) If this is successful, then do the same as in METHOD 1 with clockgen when increasing speed and testing for stability. For your information I can achieve a relatively stable overclock to about 2250. But I don't like to go to the limits in a laptop, so I am at 2200 most of the time.

Notes:
Systool is an early alpha release and will crash/freeze regularly. This may be frustrating but it is still a very powerful program.

METHOD 3 - CPUFSB - The Long Way Round

Install CPUFSB - this requires a restart as it installs a driver just as with ATiTool. Note this program is not free but can be used as an unregistered version.

a) Run the program and prepare for a long ride.

EITHER b) Select you motherboard manufacturer and model (find model in CPU-Z 'Mainboard' tab) and then click "Get PLL output." If it is selected correctly, you will be able to select #
OR c) If it does say the correct speed, great. You can then try and move the fsb slider. Now only do this by small bits at a time, as otherwise you are going to crash your pc instantly and maybe even monumentally!

d) If this is successful, then do the same as in METHOD 1 with clockgen when increasing speed and testing for stability. For your information I can achieve a relatively stable overclock to about 2250. But I don't like to go to the limits in a laptop, so I am at 2200 most of the time.

Notes:
This program can taker a long time, and it still might not yield results. However if this doesn't work for you, I'm beginning to run out of suggestions.
METHOD 4 - SoftFSB 1.7 - Trial and Error

Run the program after placing it in a folder, it creates a lot of files. Then press the 'Y' key three times in conjunction with instructions from within the MSDOS Prompt.
I believe this is all to do with how it mages to alter the FSB speed via the pll generator, but I can't work out quite how it does it yet.

a) Now run the created program (It has a SoftFSB 1.7 icon). It will either detect you motherboard instantly or fail to. if the latter is the case select it yourself, from the drop-down list. you can find your Motherboard model under the 'Mainboard' tab in CPU-z. Alternatively if your model is not their, use a similar method as METHOD 1 to find your pll generator. However click 'Get FSB' to let it work out your FSB.
As far as I can tell, the program crashes automatically if the incorrect pll is selected. It generally does not crash your whole computer, just the program. If the pll is correct you will be able to move and set the slider freely.
b) Move the slider to the desired setting
c) Again use the method outlined in METHOD 1 to test for stability if you make any changes
d) If this is successful, then do the same as in METHOD 1 with Clockgen when increasing speed and testing for stability.

Notes:
I personally don't like this program, partly because I don't admittedly understand how it works and actually changes settings. It's not quite as simple as it looks.

Fix Locked Clocks on ATi MObility Radeon cards!- Original documentation by twisterdark, (edited by theonetruewill&Kursah)

If ATITool displays the correct clocks but refuses to change the speeds ---> change the drivers. Force the desktop drivers even if you've got a mobility card (POWERPLAY OPTION WILL NO LONGER BE AVAILABLE) so that ATITool can unlock the clockspeeds. You will have to download the latest Catalyst drivers,
and then modify them (step 2). You can download ATITool here at TPU thanks to it's creator and TPU's commander, W1zzard (also responsible for Systool, OCDB, and much more! Check out his amazing work on TPU!)

Perform the following tasks (to overclock Mobility & Mac Radeon cards only);

1) Download latest Catalyst/display drivers.
2) Mod them http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool/
3) Install from Windows control panel (Start> Control Panel> display driver, searching them MANUALLY into the .INF that you can find into the modded MODDED ATI DRIVER - select x1600 or x1650 (no mobility)
4) Restart
5) Install Catalyst Control Center Modded
6) Restart
7) Install ATI Tool and check the clock, if it's strange (like 7400 mhz clock - impossible) go to settings and check, on the x1000 overclocking section, "use driver level clocking". This will alleviate many headaches with OC-ing your ATI Mobility based Radeon.
8) Before starting to overclock, write somewhere clocks you see after the point 7 because the new "defaults" botton will go to 85.9/85.9....and this mean that if you unluckily click it a lot of articrafts will appear (because of too much downclocking), but don't be scared...it's all ok, nothing dangerous, the problem is that it's hard to find something to click on the screen . So, to be prepared, create a new profile with you real default settings and us it like defaults before starting to joke with clocks.

Notes:
As always with ATiTool, check for stability with the 'Artifact scan' feature. If any are present reduce the clocks.
Use ATITool 0.24 for Mobility Radeons. You will encounter less problems.
I hope this will help you...SORRY FOR THE REALLY BAD ENGLISH

P.S. The only bad thing is that there is not a mac version of ati tool

I hope this guide helps you truly gain the full potential from your Laptop. Laptops are the future. Pentium M's and NHC rule!

Please press the 'Thanks' button if this guide was useful to you.

News on Updates: I hope to be add a CPUFSB and SOFTFSB guide eventually.

Last edited:

J0N

Processor Celeron M 1.50Ghz
Memory 512mb DDR
Video Card(s) 128mb Intel
Storage 60Gb
Display(s) 15" Widescreen
Audio Device(s) Korg 1212i/o - Needs A Home...
Software Windows Xp SP2
Can't find a means of OCing my laptop... :( ...yet. ;)

System Name COLOSSUS-MK4
Case Antec 1200
Software XP Home SP3
My Cpu:- Pentium M750 1.86Ghz, now @ 2.25 ________ 21% increase
My Gfx :- X600 Mobility 358/279 now @ 477/318 ________ +33%/+14% increase
Average temp - Idle: 45 , Max Temp (after 4hours of bf2142) : 54

Attachments

• laptop oc.jpg
    laptop oc.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 4,545
  • gfx oc.JPG
    gfx oc.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 3,788
Last edited:
System Name COLOSSUS-MK4
Case Antec 1200
Software XP Home SP3
Can't find a means of OCing my laptop... :( ...yet. ;)
I presume you've tried clockgen and all that, yeah my mate has had the same problem. And I can't OC my brothers at all. He's got a core solo but It won't budge off stock speeds.... shame

Have you tried systool?

J0N

Memory 512mb DDR
Storage 60Gb
Software Windows Xp SP2
Tried Clockgen, not Systool yet...

I think the bios is locked. :(

System Name COLOSSUS-MK4
Case Antec 1200
Software XP Home SP3
Tried Clockgen, not Systool yet...

I think the bios is locked. :(
Try systool, It crashed a hell of a lot on mine but it managed it. But I do prefer to use clockgen.

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
This sounds fun :) But my poor northwood is already at 40c...

System Name COLOSSUS-MK4
Case Antec 1200
Software XP Home SP3
Oh and If anyone wants to add their temps to show off or for humiliation purposes, feel free:D

Mediarocker543

Processor Intel Pentium 4 HyperThreading 3.2GHz- Prescott 540 90nm 800MHZ Frontside Bus
Motherboard Dell Dimension XPS Gen4- Intel Alderwood i925XE
Cooling Processor:Heatpipe Tower with dual fans| Case: 80MM Fan Located above Graphics card.
Memory 1GB Samsung Dual Channel DDR2 533
Video Card(s) nVidia GeForce 6800 256MB PCI-Express x16
Storage 250GB 7200RPM Western Digital Caviar 8MB Cache | 500GB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 16MB Cache
Display(s) Dell E173FP | 1280x1024x32 @ 72 Hz (increased from 60Hz)
Case Stock Dell Dimension XPS Gen4
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster Audigy! 2 ZS
Power Supply Dell Dimension XPS Gen4 460W PSU
Software Legit Windows XP: Home Edition SP2
It'd be nice if i could OC my old Dell i8200 :) 1.8GHz Speedstep. But right now, i have no money so if i kill it. I'm dead for school till like 2010

System Name COLOSSUS-MK4
Case Antec 1200
Software XP Home SP3
It'd be nice if i could OC my old Dell i8200 :) 1.8GHz Speedstep. But right now, i have no money so if i kill it. I'm dead for school till like 2010
I doubt you'd kill it,
But I know what you mean, but I'm sure the temptation will become too great;)

Last edited:
Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
It sounds more like a suicide OCer club.....

System Name COLOSSUS-MK4
Case Antec 1200
Software XP Home SP3
It sounds more like a suicide OCer club.....

Excuse me, do you have a laptop? Have you tried overclocking it? I know for a fact that people overclock laptops and they do not burn the thing out. Don't say rubbish like that without proper knowledge. Oh and by the way I've done it and my cpu hasn't burnt out, in fact for a laptop my temps are very reasonable.

J0N

Memory 512mb DDR
Storage 60Gb
Software Windows Xp SP2
Laptop Temp, during Itunes, MSN and Firefox.

Not looking too good is it?! :banghead:

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)

lufrey

Processor AMD Athlon64 X2 4600+ s939 OC @ 2.67GHz
Motherboard DFI LANPARTY UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert
Cooling CPU:Zalman CNPS9700NT GPU:Zalman VF900-Cu
Memory G.Skill F1-3200PHU2-2GBNS 2GB (2x 1GB) PC3200 DDR400 2.5-3-3-6 Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GV-RX195P256D-RH x1950pro 256MB DDR3
Storage 2 @ Seagate 320Gb 7200 rpm SATA II 300 HDD
Display(s) Acer 32" (81cm) LCD
Case SilverStone Lascala LC20 ATX
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Cooler Master 650W ATX Extreme PSU
Software Windows XP Pro SP2
Yep, 82 degrees :ohwell:

That is hot. Mine reads 50C at maximum load. Maybe underclocking would be a suggestion.

System Name COLOSSUS-MK4
Case Antec 1200
Software XP Home SP3
That is hot. Mine reads 50C at maximum load. Maybe underclocking would be a suggestion.

You don't need to underclock, you could try just undervolting it. My cpu can be undervolted and still Oc about 200MHz. See if you can undervolt but not underclock.

Or you could try what this dedicated fanatic has done (see below)

Attachments

• Laptop dedication.jpg
    Laptop dedication.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 4,248
Last edited:
Processor i9 10850k
Motherboard Asus strix Z-490-e
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z 4000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus STRIX RTX 3080
Storage 1tb Samsung 970 EVO,1tb hdd,750gb hdd
Display(s) Asus 27" 144htz 1440
Case Lian Li lancool 2 mesh
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic GX-850
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech Pro
Why not add some bench programs to show its stable?

kwchang007

Processor C2D T7200@2 ghz vcore: .9875
Motherboard generic laptop board
Cooling fan control and antec notebook cooler
Memory 2 GBs@ 533 mhz ddr2
Video Card(s) x1400 mobile, overclocked: 526mhz core/ 882mhz ddr
Storage 120 GB@ 5400 rpm fujitsu
Display(s) 15.4" 1440x900
Audio Device(s) integrated
Software vista 32 bit home premium
Try systool, It crashed a hell of a lot on mine but it managed it. But I do prefer to use clockgen.

how's systool work at all? it crashed so much i gave up.

and umm does anyone know what the clock generator on an e1505 is?

Last edited:
Processor i9 10850k
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech Pro
Its a dell good luck I have a e1705 and found a bios that unlocks it so you can overclock.

kwchang007

Its a dell good luck I have a e1705 and found a bios that unlocks it so you can overclock.

NICE, id open up the case, except for the fact i need this thing under warentee, i've already burned up one hdd, im hoping a mix betwen a fujitsu and undevolting is better than a samsung. argh i hate dell's for this reason, stupid dells and their locked bios. other than this and crappy vid cards offered on their desktops their just about as good as a computer you want.

Processor i9 10850k
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech Pro
You can open up a dell to upgrade and add AS5 to everything and still be coverd under waranty.
I like my dell lappy so far.
t7200 cpu
7900gs vid card
Audigy HD sound
1gb 533 ram
100gb 7200rpm HDD
plays fear all maxed out very well.

kwchang007

You can open up a dell to upgrade and add AS5 to everything and still be coverd under waranty.
I like my dell lappy so far.
t7200 cpu
7900gs vid card
Audigy HD sound
1gb 533 ram
100gb 7200rpm HDD
plays fear all maxed out very well.

oh wow.....maybe i might try opening it and finding the clock generator...interesting. i love my laptop, the only thing i really wish that they would do was offer a better vid card and seperate the vid card and cpu onto to different fans. im still worried about the hdd is 44 degrees C to hot for a hdd to last for a good while?

System Name COLOSSUS-MK4
Case Antec 1200
Software XP Home SP3
oh wow.....maybe i might try opening it and finding the clock generator...interesting. i love my laptop, the only thing i really wish that they would do was offer a better vid card and seperate the vid card and cpu onto to different fans. im still worried about the hdd is 44 degrees C to hot for a hdd to last for a good while?

Actually there's a lot of reseach saying that after a few months of use, high temperatures on HDD's are not so damaging as previously thought.

And I'm a bit worried about opening mine up but at some point I'm gonna try and upgrade some stuff, so here goes.:p
Oh and systool crashed for me loads to, really annoying but I overclocked once with it.... not sure I'd use it as my normal tool though. WEll lets put it this way, its uninstalled, lol.

Have you got an external cooler, really good idea. I got a noisy so and so, but its got three fans running so fast its unbelieveable. So this HDD stays cooler than the Arctic (well London anyway) :love:0 most of the time

Last edited:

kwchang007

Actually there's a lot of reseach saying that after a few months of use, high temperatures on HDD's are not so damaging as previously thought.

And I'm a bit worried about opening mine up but at some point I'm gonna try and upgrade some stuff, so here goes.:p
Oh and systool crashed for me loads to, really annoying but I overclocked once with it.... not sure I'd use it as my normal tool though. WEll lets put it this way, its uninstalled, lol.

Have you got an exernal cooler, really good idea. I got a noisy so and so, but its got three fans running so fast its unbelieveable. So this HDD stays cooler than the Arctic (well London anyway) :love:0 most of the time

wow :love:0, that's impressive. mine sits around 42-44 idle....of course if that's too hot i just turn up the fans. i doubt my parents would get me an external cooler, expsically since i had to get a sub $1000 laptop. :( im going to try putting the laptop on 4 cd cases and see if my hdd is cooler.