• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Last Try Before I Trash It (ASUS X58 Sabertooth)

Z101.jpg

That picture isn't the greatest quality thing ever and the lighting isn't very good either. The only two pins the look legitimately "iffy" to me are the two on the inside bottom edge of the socket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor FX 8320 @4.2 | i7 2600 @3.8 | Xeon W3670 @ 3.6
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth R2.0 | Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe | Gigabyte X58-UD7
Cooling Zalman Performa 10+ | Zalman Performa 11+ | Zalman Performa 10+
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 32GB @ 1866 | Corsair Vengeance 32GB @1866 | Samsung 24GB @ 1600
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon 390x | Zotac GTX 1070 AMP Extreme | Zotac GTX 980 AMP Extreme
Storage Intel SSD / SAS 15k Fujitsu | Intel SSD / Velociraptors / Hitachi 2TB | Intel SSD / Samsung 1TB
Display(s) Samsung 245T | HP ZR30w | IBM 20" 4x3
Case Chieftec | Corsair Graphite 600T | Thermaltake Xaser IV
Audio Device(s) SB Titanium HD | SB Titanium HD | SB X-fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Thermaltake 875W | Corsair 850W | Thermaltake 1500W
Mouse Logitech | Logitech | Logitech
Keyboard Mitsumi Classic | Microsoft |Microsoft
Software W7 x64 | W7 x64 |W7 x64 / XP x32
Fully agree. IMO with 3 Gigabyte and 2 Asus boards, i have to say 1366 is very picky even with no bent pins, sometimes you need to reseat CPU 2-3 times to get it to work even on new board.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
View attachment 125783
That picture isn't the greatest quality thing ever and the lighting isn't very good either. The only two pins the look legitimately "iffy" to me are the two on the inside bottom edge of the socket.

Have to say after working on a few with bent pins I'm seeing several that's bad enough to cause problems. I'm seeing at least 4 that needs attention, namely the two marked at the botom right and the two that's right up against the bottom of the center of the socket. The others I believe are probrably OK but woudn't hurt to check those anyway.

The OP would also want to be sure the tips are raised up enough to apply sufficient pressure to the CPU pads, even though a pin can be in alignment if it's bent downward at all it can have poor to no contact with it's pad on the CPU having the same result as a bent pin would.

After having fixed the mess shown below I can tell you the pic above has detail but probrably not enough - In the pic of what I fixed there are more bent pins than seems to be, I only found those after starting the work and the pic doesn't really show them at all but found them, fixed them and that board since has worked fine in everyway.
Pins.JPG

I suggest the OP get a magnifying visor with a light to work with, you'll see alot more than you would just eyeballing it alone would show.
That's what I used when I did mine and it worked great, plus it's useful for much more than this stuff - Not at all a waste of $$ to get one.

EDIT: If the OP is going to trash it, I'd like to take a crack at it.... Seriously.

System Name Barb's Domain
Processor i9 10850k 5.1GHz all cores
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool Assassin III
Memory 2*16gig Corsair LPX DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 FE
Storage 500gb Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2TB Seagate Hybrid SSHD
Display(s) Dell - S3222DGM 32" 2k Curved/ASUS VP28UQG 28" 4K (ran at 2k), Sanyo 75" 4k TV
Case SilverStone Fortress FT04
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion II speakers, Corsair - HS70 PRO headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (2021)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech Orion Spectrum G910
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/34962882
If the OP is going to trash it, I'd like to take a crack at it.... Seriously.

I haven't given up on it yet, just haven't had the time to mess with it again. I am keeping track of this thread and reading all the comments.

Last edited: