• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lexar NM800 Pro w/ Heatsink 2 TB

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
The Lexar NM800 Pro is a high-end SSD that plays in the same league as Samsung 980 Pro and WD Black SN850. It comes with an excellent heatsink that ensures there's no thermal throttling, no matter what you throw at the drive. Pricing is highly competitive too, only $130 for 2 TB.

Show full review

System Name Homebase
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus X570S UD
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5 RGB
Memory 2*16 Kingston Fury DDR4-3600 double ranked
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6800 16 GB
Storage 1*512 WD Red SN700, 1*2TB Curcial P5, 1*2TB Sandisk Plus (TLC), 1*14TB Toshiba MG
Display(s) Philips E-line 275E1S
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Power Supply Corsair RM850 2019
Mouse Sharkoon Sharkforce Pro
Keyboard Fujitsu KB955
Thanks for the review.

There is a tiny flaw, you wrote (or copied)

On the PCB you'll find the controller and two flash chips, a DRAM cache is not present.

A single Foresee LPDDR4x chip provides 2 GB of fast DRAM storage for the controller to store the mapping tables.

But your pictures and text do show the dram chip.

Cheers.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
Thanks for the review.

There is a tiny flaw, you wrote (or copied)

But your pictures and text do show the dram chip.

Cheers.
Fixed.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Not too shabby for the money, though the NAND market is in freefall right now, so how up-to-date are the prices of the comparison SSDs in the performance/$ chart?

I'm not in the US, but it looks like the SN770 2TB is $10 cheaper at Newegg for a faster drive, on the bold (and possibly incorrect) assumption that the 2TB SN770 performs similarly to the 1TB variant you tested.

I'm still buying SN570s for the most part, not because they're the best, but because they're decent enough and the best performance/$ - given that every version of the NV2 I've ever encountered has been a bait-and-switch to QLC and performs like garbage if you actually write to it in any significant way.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
#JustSayNo2QLC# :D
the NAND market is in freefall right now
Yippee...finally ! It seems that the criminally insane, greed-fueled wallet-gouging of the pandemic is finally reaching at least 1 segment of the pc parts industry, now if only it could happen to the GPU side :D yea right....

As for the drives themselves, I'll stick with the 2TB 850x's that dropped like a rock about a month ago. I bought a bunch of them for some upcoming builds, but returned most of them & reordered even moar at the newly lowered prices this week !

#JustSayNo2QLC# :D

Yippee...finally ! It seems that the criminally insane, greed-fueled wallet-gouging of the pandemic is finally reaching at least 1 segment of the pc parts industry, now if only it could happen to the GPU side :D yea right....

As for the drives themselves, I'll stick with the 2TB 850x's that dropped like a rock about a month ago. I bought a bunch of them for some upcoming builds, but returned most of them & reordered even moar at the newly lowered prices this week !
Wait, wait, wait... holdup. Those 850s are WD... WD... BLACK drives! I mean, that's like, you know, not... ALL WHITE, like 186 per cent, Bonehead-approved, Aryan-jealous, bleach-inducing, WHITE. I think I'm going to buy a lottery ticket today. ;-)

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Wait, wait, wait... holdup. Those 850s are WD... WD... BLACK drives! I mean, that's like, you know, not... ALL WHITE, like 186 per cent, Bonehead-approved, Aryan-jealous, bleach-inducing, WHITE. I think I'm going to buy a lottery ticket today. ;-)
Ah, but that's the thing here.... WD calls them "BLACK", and they are actually, like, you know..."BLACK", both figuratively & literally, so that's ok...

And it would appear, from the wording of your post, that you may be trying to turn this into something that it is not...so the shun's on you now..:shadedshu:..:laugh:..

Wow... Do Samsung SSDs perform so poorly in this WinRar benchmark or is it just inconsistency caused by hardware or software difference in the testing routine?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Wow... Do Samsung SSDs perform so poorly in this WinRar benchmark or is it just inconsistency caused by hardware or software difference in the testing routine?
Great question, everything was tested the same way, same everything. This test is VERY difficult for some Controller designs because it issues a lot of small IOs, which is why I’m running it in the first place. Maybe some Samsung algorithm is having a hard time dealing with the load, especially considering we’re testing with 80% disk full.
On holiday right now, so can’t retest anything, will try to look into it next week

A little off topic, but is it possible to have reviews for HDDs, for example I am interested in the WD141KFGX, but I can't find reviews from reliable sources.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
A little off topic, but is it possible to have reviews for HDDs, for example I am interested in the WD141KFGX, but I can't find reviews from reliable sources.
Is there anything actually worth testing? They are slow, but cheap for the TB

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
The only thing I care about with HDDs is whether they are CMR or SMR, and manufacturers (despite promising to identify them) are doing a terrible job of making that clear.

I rarely buy mechanical drives at retail now, but whenever I do I find the process of individually Googling each model to find out if is infected with shingles a rather tedious and irritating step. SMR or CMR is quite literally the deciding factor in what a HDD is suitable for, and that data is woefully lacking in retail listings where it actually matters.

It depends on what you use them for, I personally use them to archive movies, and there the speed doesn't matter. But 14TB is plenty of space, at least for me.
The only thing I care about with HDDs is whether they are CMR or SMR, and manufacturers (despite promising to identify them) are doing a terrible job of making that clear.
On the WD website, it is clearly shown what the disks are - CMR or SMR.
Designed with CMR technology for medium or large-sized businesses in RAID-optimized NAS systems with up to 24 bays. Perfect for archiving, sharing and handling high-intensity workloads.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
On the WD website, it is clearly shown what the disks are - CMR or SMR.
shown only for some of their disks.
Retailers across the globe sell OEM drives not listed on WD's website - white label, for example - those don't even exist on the WD website.

Outside of the four main consumer retail "branded" model ranges of mechanical drive (so black, red, blue, purple), WD seem to omit CMR or SMR info from most of their offerings.
Worse than that, the surveillance drives that are typically SMR are CMR, and the WD Red (non pro, non plus) drives are NAS drives with SMR (which is so dumb).

I couldnt find a single external drive with recording technology listed like they promised:​
and that issue continues with portable 2.5" variants...​
Laptop 2.5" drives are a clusterfuck. Some are listed, some are not. This one has a blank field for "recording tecnology" and the product code isn't one of the named SMR/CMR models above the specs table.​

See, it should be easy, clear, transparent, and across all hard drives. It absolutely is not and that sucks because an SMR drive is godawful in many situations. That wall of text hardlining the failures of WD is just one company. All manufacturers are guilty and WD aren't even the worst!

Last edited:
System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
First drive I have seen at this price point that has DRAM, and has TLC. But wary of bait and switch as its not an in house manufacturer.

shown only for some of their disks.
Retailers across the globe sell OEM drives not listed on WD's website - white label, for example - those don't even exist on the WD website.

Outside of the four main consumer retail "branded" model ranges of mechanical drive (so black, red, blue, purple), WD seem to omit CMR or SMR info from most of their offerings.
Worse than that, the surveillance drives that are typically SMR are CMR, and the WD Red (non pro, non plus) drives are NAS drives with SMR (which is so dumb).

I couldnt find a single external drive with recording technology listed like they promised:​
and that issue continues with portable 2.5" variants...​
Laptop 2.5" drives are a clusterfuck. Some are listed, some are not. This one has a blank field for "recording tecnology" and the product code isn't one of the named SMR/CMR models above the specs table.​

See, it should be easy, clear, transparent, and across all hard drives. It absolutely is not and that sucks because an SMR drive is godawful in many situations. That wall of text hardlining the failures of WD is just one company. All manufacturers are guilty and WD aren't even the worst!
I understand your concerns, but I can tell you that when a disk from our NAS failed, the sysadmin replaced it with one that was SMR, I told him it was not a good idea, and he replied - what does it matter? And by the way the disk is still working, 2 years later without a problem :)
p.s. I stop here with offtopic

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
I understand your concerns, but I can tell you that when a disk from our NAS failed, the sysadmin replaced it with one that was SMR, I told him it was not a good idea, and he replied - what does it matter? And by the way the disk is still working, 2 years later without a problem :)
p.s. I stop here with offtopic
Depends on the NAS, how it's used, and how the arrays are RAIDed.

SMR only really sucks for NAS/SAN performance when the disks are full and when you're dealing with a half a petabyte of data like I do, most arrays are nearly full because the cost of having hundreds of terabytes of excess capacity sitting there empty is huge.

For consumer use, SMR will work fine for a game drive or backup drive, but if you try and use it for video editing or run any kind of application on it (for example, a NAS OS) then everything grinds to a halt. I'm not going to argue about why they're unsuitable for use, because class-action lawsuits were won, proving that they are unsuitable for some use cases. It's one of the reasons drive manufacturers are supposed to state what technology they are using, otherwise they set themselves up for an automatic loss in yet another class-action lawsuit, because there's legal precedent now.