• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

LG To Bring NVIDIA GeForce NOW Cloud Gaming To webOS Smart TVs

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
My understanding is that LG is rolling out NVIDIA GeForce NOW to select TV models. This was their language in their announcement way back in January. They never claimed a general device-agnostic rollout.

If they aren't idiots, they are only allowing downloads from LG Content Store to units that are actually qualified to run the app, much like Apple's App Store. Thus, the owner of a 2015 LG television set shouldn't be able to download the GeForce NOW app.

I actually own a qualifying unit (LG C1 55" OLED TV from 2021 per my system specs). The beta app is there and I downloaded it earlier today. I have not actually tried to run the app yet. I do not own an LG device that wouldn't qualify.

I assure you that Apple isn't stupid. I've tried to download certain apps that can't run on a given device to no avail. Hopefully LG is equally thoughtful.

Sure,..

However, to be sure, just because some service / app isn't available on an LG WebOS TV doesn't necessarily mean it ever will be available or that the model is incapable (either in hardware or OS) of running it. Fortunately sometimes things do trickle in. As I recall, one of my first LG 4K Smart TV's didn't support HBOGo, Showtime Anytime, StarZ or CinaMax streaming apps. However, at the time other regions outside the US did.

Again, I don't really have any skin in the game but there are those that do.