• We've upgraded our forums. Please post any issues/requests in this thread.

LG to Unveil World's First 21:9 Curved IPS Monitor at IFA 2014

LG Electronics (LG) will be unveiling its newest IPS 21:9 Curved UltraWide Monitor (model 34UC97) and other compelling monitor offerings at IFA 2014 in Berlin, Germany. The world's first monitor to incorporate a curved IPS screen with a 21:9 aspect ratio, the eye-catching 34-inch monitor provides remarkable picture quality and a range of convenient connectivity options. Also to be introduced at IFA 2014 will be the stunning Digital Cinema 4K Monitor (model 31MU97) and the feature-packed Gaming Monitor (model 24GM77), both combining superior performance with modern style and versatile functionality.

LG's flagship IPS 21:9 Curved UltraWide Monitor is a complete monitor solution, equally suited to the needs of professional users and home entertainment enthusiasts with extra screen real estate so users can get more done in less time. By adding a gentle curve to a 21:9 aspect ratio monitor, LG has created a unique product that delivers a more immersive experience.

Show full news post

System Name Kablamo
Processor Some Intel i5
Motherboard some gigabyte board
Cooling h80i
Memory samsung sticks that got a good review a few years back
Video Card(s) 6950 acting like a 6970
Storage some solid state ocz drives
Display(s) Samsung T260HD (1920 x 1200)
Case bitfenix microatx case
Audio Device(s) hyperx cloud II
Power Supply corsair 750 or similar
Mouse M65
Keyboard g510
Software win 10
A monitor is pretty much the only environment in which a curved screen makes any sense (and then it only just about makes makes sense).

I honestly don't understand why anyone would buy a curved 65 inch TV and then sit 10ft away from it.

A monitor is pretty much the only environment in which a curved screen makes any sense (and then it only just about makes makes sense).

I honestly don't understand why anyone would buy a curved 65 inch TV and then sit 10ft away from it.
Well I wouldn't want to be too close to a 65 inch TV myself. I'd want to be far enough away to enjoy movies and popcorn.

Why not? Just because YOU don't like something, shouldn't mean it's wrong for other people to like it.

People will do whatever they want to do. If curved screens is what people want, it'll prosper (I'm looking forward to it). If not, it'll die off as quickly as that 3D fad (good riddance on that one, IMO!).

System Name Game Raver
Processor Core i7 920 OC'd @ 4GHz
Motherboard ASUS P6T
Cooling Zalman CNPS12X
Memory Mushkin Blackline 24GB Kit@1200
Video Card(s) 2x Club 3D R9 270Xs, Royal Queen Edition
Storage 2tb Barracuda 14, 1tb Barracuda 11
Display(s) 3x VS238H-P
Case NZXT Phantom 410 /w/ Silverstone FN121P-BL fans
Audio Device(s) AudioEngine D1 DAC via Fiber, connected to an ASUS Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Benchmark Scores UNLIMITED POWA!!!!!!
Now we are getting monitors to be excited about!

Why not? Just because YOU don't like something, shouldn't mean it's wrong for other people to like it.

People will do whatever they want to do. If curved screens is what people want, it'll prosper (I'm looking forward to it). If not, it'll die off as quickly as that 3D fad (good riddance on that one, IMO!).
I think you misunderstand his point (granted, he should have elaborated). I believe his point was: no one sits close enough to a big screen TV to warrant the need for a curved screen, where the purpose of a curved screen is to bring the viewing angles closer to the user. Therefore, curved monitors--where, naturally, most users sit close to--makes sense.

He may have a point in that respect, but I did stand in front of a 80-inch curved 4K at a local Best Buy not too long ago and it didn't seem gimmicky by any means.

Maybe TPU can tests the viewing distance of curved big screen TVs and give us a verdict whether they're beneficial over non-curved big screen TVs. [/wishfullthinking]

System Name Kablamo
Processor Some Intel i5
Motherboard some gigabyte board
Cooling h80i
Memory samsung sticks that got a good review a few years back
Video Card(s) 6950 acting like a 6970
Storage some solid state ocz drives
Display(s) Samsung T260HD (1920 x 1200)
Case bitfenix microatx case
Audio Device(s) hyperx cloud II
Power Supply corsair 750 or similar
Mouse M65
Keyboard g510
Software win 10
I think you misunderstand his point (granted, he should have elaborated). I believe his point was: no one sits close enough to a big screen TV to warrant the need for a curved screen, where the purpose of a curved screen is to bring the viewing angles closer to the user. Therefore, curved monitors--where, naturally, most users sit close to--makes sense.

He may have a point in that respect, but I did stand in front of a 80-inch curved 4K at a local Best Buy not too long ago and it didn't seem gimmicky by any means.

Maybe TPU can tests the viewing distance of curved big screen TVs and give us a verdict whether they're beneficial over non-curved big screen TVs. [/wishfullthinking]

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking but not writing! Thanks!