• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Linux (Debian sucks)

System Name EventHorizon
Processor Intel® Core™ Processor i9-13900KF 8P/16 + 16E 3.00GHz [Turbo 5.7GHz] 36MB Cache LGA1700
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z790-P
Cooling CyberpowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 240mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler
Memory 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/6000MHz Dual Channel Memory (KINGSTON FURY BEAST RGB)
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB
Storage 2TB WD BLACK SN850X (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7300/6600 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 1200/110
Display(s) LG 34''
Case CyberPowerPC HYTE Y60 Dual Chamber Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Panoramic View Tempered Glass + 2x120mm
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix w/Alan Finote mod for Windows 11
Power Supply High Power 1300W 80+ GOLD Full Modular w/ PCIE 12+4Pins Connector for PCIe 5.0 graphics cards
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600 wired
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7 TKL red Switch
Software Win 11 Pro
Oh yeah, there's nothing easy about maintaining an OS. I'm so glad that Windows / Microsoft does the heavy lifting automatically. Despite all the problems I hear about patches breaking things, I've had very few problems since I moved to W10 a few years ago. If there's an update, I just let it do its thing and then carry on as if nothing had happened. That's how it should be.
Most Windows 10 problems come from tinkering and/or poorly written 3rd party software. I manage roughly 15 machines work/home with varying hardware configs and have had very few problems.

The one that I had problems with, was from tinkering. An in-place upgrade quickly fixed those problems.

I do have a few dual boots as well. But I could not see (speaking for myself only) ever utilizing Linux as a daily driver. I don't have the time.

bombatomba

I've somehow managed to avoid Debian over the years, but thought to give it a try earlier last year, and in a way I see what you mean. In a strange way, modern Debian is a look into how mainline Linux distributions were packaged ten years ago. That being said, going with an Ubuntu-like or some of the more polished distros (like Manjaro) will give you an overall better user experience. Personally, I would go with Linux Mint Mate and see where you stand (hardware-wise), downloading and running other distros on a VM until you find something you like.

In defense of Debian, even though they've seemed to resist any kind of change (IMO), since the rise of popularity of Ubuntu and their "-likes" Debian has seemed to double down on FOSS. Overall it means more work for those coming from Windows, but I think Debian probably isn't the place to start if you are new to Linux, rather a place you end up when you are used to it (kind of like the relationship between Manjaro and Arch).

Anyway, best of luck and remember, on Linux you will find not just workarounds, but solutions as well!

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
im happy for about 4 Years with Debian, but there are so many things that it sucks to use it as a daily OS

1. U need drivers for every shit like h264
2. Most wifi Cards dont work out of the Box (USB, PCIe)
3. U need self compiling the WIFI Cards (most dont work or being bugy)
4. Sometimes it can not copy things to another NTFS drive
5. Open source Burning Rooms are totaly stupid (i take x2 on my BD Drive with a BD RE x2, and the Program writes with 6-8x) (Error)
etc. etc.

The usabilty is like come fuck me iam open source im best nahh, ill go back to my fimary Windows 10 LTSC
this is one that hold me to use linux for main OS

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
PopOS is pretty nice looking (comes from System76). If you add Dash to Dock, you’ll get something along the lines of a more colorful MacOS.

im happy for about 4 Years with Debian, but there are so many things that it sucks to use it as a daily OS

5. Open source Burning Rooms are totaly stupid (i take x2 on my BD Drive with a BD RE x2, and the Program writes with 6-8x) (Error)
etc. etc.

The usabilty is like come fuck me iam open source im best nahh, ill go back to my fimary Windows 10 LTSC
As an XP Pro user, I found MX Linux to be easiest to use, with Linux Mint secondplace. That said, I don't fool with wifi or wireless anything (the cracking of WEP was the end for me), so I got no idea about that. You might look the distro over. Although based on Debian, it's lightyears ahead on ease of use.

realnyte

etc. etc.

Try out Arch-based Distros, I recommend Manjaro

System Name EventHorizon
Processor Intel® Core™ Processor i9-13900KF 8P/16 + 16E 3.00GHz [Turbo 5.7GHz] 36MB Cache LGA1700
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z790-P
Cooling CyberpowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 240mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler
Memory 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/6000MHz Dual Channel Memory (KINGSTON FURY BEAST RGB)
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB
Storage 2TB WD BLACK SN850X (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7300/6600 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 1200/110
Display(s) LG 34''
Case CyberPowerPC HYTE Y60 Dual Chamber Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Panoramic View Tempered Glass + 2x120mm
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix w/Alan Finote mod for Windows 11
Power Supply High Power 1300W 80+ GOLD Full Modular w/ PCIE 12+4Pins Connector for PCIe 5.0 graphics cards
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600 wired
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7 TKL red Switch
Software Win 11 Pro