• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Official Linux/Unix Desktop Screenshots Megathread

Screenshot at 2022-12-29 14-25-31.png

GhostBSD + MATE

System Name Gen2
Processor Ryzen R9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Viii Hero Wifi
Cooling Lian Li 360 Galahad
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64gb @ 3600 Mhz CL14-13-13-24 1T @ 1.45V
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6900 XT Nitro+
Storage Seagate 520 1TB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + lots of HDD's
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7
Case Lian Li PC-O11D XL White
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex SE Platinum 1000W
Mouse Xenics Titan GX Air Wireless
Keyboard Kemove Snowfox 61
Software Main: Gentoo+Arch + Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Have tried but can't beat the leaders :)
Back on Arch as my main.. For some reason Gentoo keeps hanging during gameplay....

Screenshot_20230112_190712.png

System Name Windows
Processor 13900K
Motherboard MSI Pro Z790-A WiFi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15s
Memory 32GB 6600 CL32
Video Card(s) RTX 4090
Display(s) MSI MAG401QR
Case Phanteks P600s
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modi MB / Valhalla 2 & Asgard 3
Power Supply Vertex GX-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Benchmark Scores They suck.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
How do you see anything with terminal text that small?

How do you see anything with terminal text that small?
If you view it in its original resolution (1080p) you should be able to read it easily. I think 7 and 8 are optimal. If it is bigger I find it less comfortable to read. The idea behind PragmataPro is that lines are more compact in height and width. You can view a lot of windows at the same time. And another advantage of this is that it is less stressful for your eyes.

Back when 720p was still a more common resolution, the font size 7 was much more popular, especially with programmers. I don't know why fonts in windows and macOS are so large by default, but I think it's mainly so old people can read the text. Not because these kind of size fonts are necessary for people with a well-functioning sight.

Millennials are having more vision problems and at a younger age than previous generations. Nearly 70% of millennials experience eye strain, and more people are nearsighted than ever before. This is thought to be due to the way millennials live their daily lives. Smartphones are not good for your eyesight and RF-EMF has many side effects that are not known to the general public because the telecom industry does not want people to know about it. But specifically 5G radiation is worse for the eyes than 4G and 3G according to research.

System Name HP EliteBook 725 G3
Processor AMD PRO A10-8700B (1.8 GHz CMT dual module with 3.2 GHz boost)
Motherboard HP proprietary
Cooling pretty good
Memory 8 GB SK Hynix DDR3 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Radeon R6 (Carrizo/GCNv3)
Storage internal Kioxia XG6 1 TB NVMe SSD (aftermarket)
Display(s) HP P22h G4 21.5" 1080p (& 768p internal LCD)
Case HP proprietary metal case
Audio Device(s) built-in Conexant CX20724 HDA chipset -> Roland RH-200S
Power Supply HP-branded AC adapter
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
Keyboard Cherry G84-5200
Software Alma Linux 9.1
Benchmark Scores Broadcom BCM94356 11ac M.2 WiFi card (aftermarket)
Millennials are having more vision problems and at a younger age than previous generations. Nearly 70% of millennials experience eye strain, and more people are nearsighted than ever before. This is thought to be due to the way millennials live their daily lives. Smartphones are not good for your eyesight and RF-EMF has many side effects that are not known to the general public because the telecom industry does not want people to know about it. But specifically 5G radiation is worse for the eyes than 4G and 3G according to research.
But doesn't non-mmWave 5G (which is essentially just LTE Advanced+) use the same frequency bands as the older standards? One thing that I wonder is if the newer WiFi standards would be better or worse from a health perspective. I think they may be better due to higher efficiency, which means less RF-EMF is needed to transfer the same amount data. Of course, if people compensate for this with 4K video and other nonsense than it would not really be an improvement.

But doesn't non-mmWave 5G (which is essentially just LTE Advanced+) use the same frequency bands as the older standards? One thing that I wonder is if the newer WiFi standards would be better or worse from a health perspective. I think they may be better due to higher efficiency, which means less RF-EMF is needed to transfer the same amount data. Of course, if people compensate for this with 4K video and other nonsense than it would not really be an improvement.
If you want detailed info on this topic, here are 119 resources mainly focusing on the biological effects of ELF-EMF and RF-EMF: https://pastebin.com/sVYMs85N

With 5G waves, the waves have a different shape, they go up and down faster, but they don't go as far. You can achieve higher speeds, but you need more cell towers to have the same range over the same area. You need much more energy as well. Standard 5G radiation penetrate less deeply into the body, but skin and eyes are more exposed than with 4G. In the beginning it was thought that 5G would be less harmful because it penetrates less deeply into organs. But newer studies show that you have a lot of potentially bad general systemic effects because skin and eyes are so strongly irradiated. It's hard to say whether 5G is worse or better than 4G for humans and for our evolution.

During the development of 5G people had very little knowledge about Brillouin Precursors. Researchers and the telecom industry actually did not know with certainty that Brillouin Precursors really existed. After the development of 5G, several researchers succeeded in proving that Brillouin Precursors really exist. These waves can be very harmful to biological cells. It is not really known whether the current 5G radiation is powerful enough to generate Brillouin Precursors, but it is known that the 5G radiation is so strong that you come close to this point where the possible formation of Brillouin Precursors must be taken into account .

FreeBSD and PeKWM screenshot
2023-02-16-112835_1920x1080_scrot.jpg

2023-02-16-123123_1920x1080_scrot.jpg

Last edited:
System Name HP EliteBook 725 G3
Processor AMD PRO A10-8700B (1.8 GHz CMT dual module with 3.2 GHz boost)
Motherboard HP proprietary
Cooling pretty good
Memory 8 GB SK Hynix DDR3 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Radeon R6 (Carrizo/GCNv3)
Storage internal Kioxia XG6 1 TB NVMe SSD (aftermarket)
Display(s) HP P22h G4 21.5" 1080p (& 768p internal LCD)
Case HP proprietary metal case
Audio Device(s) built-in Conexant CX20724 HDA chipset -> Roland RH-200S
Power Supply HP-branded AC adapter
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
Keyboard Cherry G84-5200
Software Alma Linux 9.1
Benchmark Scores Broadcom BCM94356 11ac M.2 WiFi card (aftermarket)
If you want detailed info on this topic, here are 119 resources mainly focusing on the biological effects of ELF-EMF and RF-EMF: https://pastebin.com/sVYMs85N

With 5G waves, the waves have a different shape, they go up and down faster, but they don't go as far.
Yes, you are referring to mmWave 5G here, which uses significantly higher frequencies ("they go up and down faster") than "regular" 5G (which is quite similar to LTE (Advanced)) and as a result the signal also does not travel as far.
You can achieve higher speeds, but you need more cell towers to have the same range over the same area.
This only applies to mmWave 5G, which will only be implemented in metro areas for this exact reason. Outside of the metro areas, in less densely populated areas (where it does not make economic sense to build a lot of cellular towers and where the bandwidth demand is also much lower) there will only be "plain" 5G, which is basically "LTE+" or "4.5G".
You need much more energy as well. Standard 5G radiation penetrate less deeply into the body, but skin and eyes are more exposed than with 4G. In the beginning it was thought that 5G would be less harmful because it penetrates less deeply into organs. But newer studies show that you have a lot of potentially bad general systemic effects because skin and eyes are so strongly irradiated. It's hard to say whether 5G is worse or better than 4G for humans and for our evolution.
I think that the main distinction will be between 5G mmWave and all the traditional cellular technologies, including "plain" 5G.
During the development of 5G people had very little knowledge about Brillouin Precursors. Researchers and the telecom industry actually did not know with certainty that Brillouin Precursors really existed. After the development of 5G, several researchers succeeded in proving that Brillouin Precursors really exist. These waves can be very harmful to biological cells. It is not really known whether the current 5G radiation is powerful enough to generate Brillouin Precursors, but it is known that the 5G radiation is so strong that you come close to this point where the possible formation of Brillouin Precursors must be taken into account .

FreeBSD and PeKWM screenshot
View attachment 284109
View attachment 284110
Is that Scheme code? Also, what music player are you running?

Is that Scheme code?
It is Common Lisp which is very similar to Scheme but has more advanced capabilities. Common Lisp has long been the leading language for software research and advanced development projects. Its ability to tackle the biggest problems is unmatched. It is an energy efficient programming language unlike Python, Ruby, Lua, etc. Usually it is just a little faster than Java, but in some specific situations it can be faster than C. It also uses less RAM than Java, which is one of the problems with Java. For compact apps or for shorter scripts, Common Lisp is often faster than Rust. I'm not talking about super short scripts, but rather advanced tasks. So it's really when an app starts doing very computationally intensive tasks that Rust starts to take less time than Common Lisp at some point. Another advantage of Common Lisp is productivity. It's not the most productive programming language ever, but it's more productive than Python and Ruby for a lot of problems. Common Lisp is almost always many times more productive than JS, Java, C and Rust. This language has become less popular as Google pushed Python a lot, although Python is a less smart programming language compared to Common Lisp in many areas.
Also, what music player are you running?
ncmpcpp in combination with musicpd and OSS in bitperfect mode with real-time sound ( <5ms latency)

Last edited:
System Name Gen2
Processor Ryzen R9 5950X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Hyprland

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-03-05-22-50-06_24064.png
    Screenshot_2023-03-05-22-50-06_24064.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 82
Schermafdruk_2023-03-13_10-22-55.png

This is Devuan's default look with XFCE. I installed it on a USB 2.0 flash stick like you normally install it on an SSD/eMMC/HDD, I mean it's a permanent install and not a 'live' desktop. It's really nice that the system boots up completely in 28 seconds from a very slow USB 2.0 interface which is (very) limited in terms of IOPS and read/write performance. In the browser, performance is usually the same as with SSDs because most things are loaded into RAM.

Devuan is a system that focuses on stability, so you have old software. Firefox and Chromium perform much lower than in FreeBSD mainly because the software versions in FreeBSD are much more recent, but FreeBSD is probably still slightly faster even with the same software versions. Eg the Chromium version of Devuan performs lower in Speedometer than Chromium on FreeBSD. This problem is easily solved by eg installing Brave on Devuan which performs largely similar to Brave on FreeBSD via the LInux emulation layer (or Clear Linux). So all in all, Devuan is one of the best Linux systems you can install on old USB 2.0 sticks. When I remove the USB 2.0 stick from my PC, FreeBSD just boots up. This is handy because configuring dual-boot with FreeBSD is not always easy.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
This is Devuan's default look with XFCE. I installed it on a USB 2.0 flash stick like you normally install it on an SSD/eMMC/HDD, I mean it's a permanent install and not a 'live' desktop.

What software did you use to do that? Years ago I set something similiar up with an Ubuntu distro but never got it to work quite right.

What software did you use to do that? Years ago I set something similiar up with an Ubuntu distro but never got it to work quite right.
I did not use any special software. You just need two USB sticks. Let me call them USB1 and USB2.

You can use USB1 to write the Devuan .iso or .img file via the dd command. I did this from FreeBSD. You can also do this from Linux with dd, or from windows with balenaEtcher. Then plug the two USB sticks into your PC and boot the one that has Devuan installed on it (USB1).

After that you just have to do the installation as usual. Via GParted I checked the location of the USB on which I wanted to install Devuan (USB2). This turned out to be /dev/sdc so I created a SWAP partition and an EXT4 partition on /dev/sdc and told the installer to install the system there. I also chose MBR instead of GPT because it makes installing Devuan easier. And then I redirected GRUB to use this MBR from /dev/sdc.

Devuan is considered unsuitable for novice Linux users, and many people find Devuan unsuitable for intermediate Linux users as well. Once installed it is as easy as Debian. If you want to make the boot really snappy on an extremely slow USB 2.0 flash stick, you should choose a distro that doesn't use systemd, unless it's Clear Linux. Clear Linux has extremely optimized systemd making it much faster than on 90% of Linux distros. Clear Linux is easy to install and can therefore be placed on a USB stick. You must have 20GB of free space on the USB for Clear Linux. With Devuan you only need something like 11GB. Artix Linux and Void Linux also start quickly from a USB stick, but are not 'super easy' for beginners either. Clear Linux and MX Linux are ultimately super easy to use with a slow USB 2.0 stick for running permanent Linux distro installations that are rather snappy to use and also fast to boot.

johnspack

Here For Good!
System Name System2 Blacknet , System1 Blacknet2
Processor System2 Threadripper 1920x, System1 2699 v3
Motherboard System2 Asrock Fatality x399 Professional Gaming, System1 Asus X99-A
Cooling System2 Noctua NH-U14 TR4-SP3 Dual 140mm fans, System1 AIO
Memory System2 64GBS DDR4 3000, System1 32gbs DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) System2 GTX 980Ti System1 GTX 970
Storage System2 4x SSDs + NVme= 2.250TB 2xStorage Drives=8TB System1 3x SSDs=2TB
Display(s) 2x 24" 1080 displays
Case System2 Some Nzxt case with soundproofing...
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U7 MKII
Power Supply System2 EVGA 750 Watt, System1 XFX XTR 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Ducky
Software Manjaro, Windows 10, Kubuntu 23.10
Benchmark Scores It's linux baby!
Well here's the next round of Ubuntu, the LTS version 23.04.... still not final of course:
23.04.png

System Name Gen2
Processor Ryzen R9 5950X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
System Name Windows
Processor 13900K
Motherboard MSI Pro Z790-A WiFi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15s
Memory 32GB 6600 CL32
Video Card(s) RTX 4090
Display(s) MSI MAG401QR
Case Phanteks P600s
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modi MB / Valhalla 2 & Asgard 3
Power Supply Vertex GX-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Benchmark Scores They suck.
Yet another Debian/Cinnamon desktop screenshot. :rolleyes:

04-01-23.jpg

System Name Fran
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ROG Strix B550-F GAMING WIFI II
Cooling Hyper 212 Turbo ARGB
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600MHz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 6700 10GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Kingston A1000 480GB
Display(s) Lenovo G27q-20 (1440p, 165Hz)
Case NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) MOONDROP Aria SE
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Gold III 850W
Mouse Logitech G302
Keyboard IK75 v3 (QMK version)
Back on Linux after a short-ish 6 months break after building my new PC :p
Screenshot_20230410_230254.png

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
I think something's wrong with my tablet :D :D :D
IMG_20230411_131414.jpgIMG_20230411_144704.jpg