• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

LogViewer for GPU-Z available !

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I can tell you a trick to force that:
  1. Select „Number of files = 2“
  2. Select „Number of files = 1“

This does exactly what I want TY.

Another (maybe better) UI solution could be instead of hiding the „+“ button in case of three categories are shown, to change it to a „-“ button. So, the number of categories go like:
1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 2 -> 1 -> 2 > 3 -> 2 -> 1 ...

This is also a good idea, its more intuitive.

Any chance you could add the ability to save images of the graphs? Thanks.
Hi Ryrynz,
one request and one like ... OK, I will think about it :). Shouldn't be a lot of work to implement ...

New version 5.1 available !

Hi all, I built a version 5.1 with the following new features:
  • Save Screenshot:
    ability to save a screenshot of the GenericLogViewer window directly in one of the following graphic formats:
    - PNG
    - JPEG
    - TIFF
    - Bitmap

• Feature "different categories of one file in one diagram" now also has a "-" button

Features 5.1.jpg

Special thanks to @Solaris17, @Ryrynz and @Naki for beta testing :toast:

Download
The zip file (SHA-1 hash, Version 5.1: 3F00587F9019A8215BABDC8A55BE8264D60D7A9E) contains the binary files of the tool.

Attachments

• GenericLogViewer - Version 5.1.zip
    495.7 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
New Version 5.2 available !

Hi all, I built a version 5.2 with the following new feature:
  • ability to save the current setup
  • ability to load a previous saved setup
SetupButtons.png

After loading a logfile, the two new buttons are shown. They allow to save/load your parameters of the GenericLogViewer like:
  • number of diagrams
  • diagram types
  • selected categories
Only logfile specific parameters are not saved, like filenames, time windows (makes no sense).

Remark:
depending on the "complexity" of the setup (6x2 diagrams, each with 3 categories, ...) it can take "some seconds" until setup is activated ... stay cool :cool:

Best regards
Tom

Download:
you can download version 5.2 from first post of this thread: Post #1

Last edited:
Great Tool. Small feature request: is it possible to add the ability to change the timeline from 00:20:20 to the actual time (14:40:20...)?

Hi vexxiss,

a long time ago I decided to use only "relative times" instead of "absolute times", because comparing multiple log-files makes only sense with relative times. There are two use cases for that:
  • comparing 2 or 3 different log-files
    I think that use case is clear. Maybe you have to optimize the duration of the shown periods in "Edit" window

• open a single log-file multiple times
    Maybe this is not a well-known use case. Simple example: you have a 3 hour log-file and want to compare hour-by-hour. So, you open this 3 hour log-file 3 times (file 1, 2, 3). Now you select in "Edit" mode for file 1 first hour, for file 2 second hour and for file 3 last hour. In the diagrams you can see now first hour = red curve, second hour = green curve and last hour = blue curve
Both use cases are only possible with "relative times". But I agree, in case of "only a single file" absolute times make sense. But to keep tool simple I decided to support only "relative times". I'm sorry, it will be "a lot of work" to change this and it means, I have to support both (relative and absolute times). So, at the moment it's not an option for me.

Regards
Tom

Polarguin

Very useful tool!!!
Could you make "1% Low" value displayed ?
And "0.1% Low"

Hi Polarguin,

sorry, I don't really understand what you want:
  • should the tool mark "1% Low" values in a special way?
  • should the tool show only "1% Low" values (maximum Y-axis) ?
Maybe you have a look at the "Statistic" mode: it shows how the values are distributed (in percent). With "number of ranges" you can adjust the "width" of the ranges.

System Name Cheapskate Maximus
Processor Xeon W3680 @ 3.99Ghz [133x30] [1.375v]
Motherboard HP Z400 Rev 2
Cooling Alpenfohn Brocken v1
Memory 3 x 4GB DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX570 Nitro+
Storage 240GB WD SSD, 6 x 2TB HDD
Display(s) 27" iiyama XB2783HSU AMVA+
Case AeroCool
Power Supply HP 600w Bronze (Delta)
Keyboard Gots keys
Software W10 x64
Really nice idea, it's one of those ideas you always wonder why it hadn't already been done! Props.

Hi Polarguin,

sorry, I don't really understand what you want:
  • should the tool mark "1% Low" values in a special way?
  • should the tool show only "1% Low" values (maximum Y-axis) ?
Maybe you have a look at the "Statistic" mode: it shows how the values are distributed (in percent). With "number of ranges" you can adjust the "width" of the ranges.

I think he means the FPS 1 and .1% lows? I might be wrong but that's what popped in to my mind from reading his post.

Hi all,

OK, I did some thoughts and some tests!

The Thoughts
I don't think I have the perfect data to calculate "1% Low" and "0.1% Low" values properly, because in the logs are typically not the needed exact duration times between all frames stored, there are FPS values at "logging interval time" written. So if I calculate "1% Low" and "0.1% Low" with these FPS values I think it's not guaranteed to "consider all lowest values".

The Tests
I logged a Formula 1 Benchmark (3 rounds in Monaco) with two different logging intervals (100ms and 1000ms) with HWINFO + FRAPS. Which delivers the following result:
  • red curve = 100ms logging interval (in real 180ms) -> 1400 log values
  • green curve = 1000ms logging interval -> 235 log values
Screenshot.png

The exact values in detail:
  • 1% Low: 103.6 (red), 102.3 (green)
  • 0.1% Low: 101.0 (red), 100.0 (green) = mimimum values !
I agree with "Tech Deals" (see YouTube), the "0.1 Low" value is useless, because even in case of 1400 logvalues (red curve) only ONE logvalue is "used", which is the "minimum" :).
So, only "1% Low" makes sense ... does it ... does it really help ???

Conclusion
Still not clear for me if it makes sense to calculate 1% Low based on "log interval FPS values" without having the exact time durations between all frames.
What do you think?

Regards
Tom

Polarguin

Hi TomWoB,
Sorry that I did not read your comments in time. This forum is not my usually visit.
Only the quantity of log values more than 2000, can "0.1% Low" value be useful.
Just imagine, you have 1999 log values, 0.1% *1999 = 1.999
The quantity of "0.1% Low" log value must be an integer.

I do not know how HWiNFO round to a whole number, round half up, or round down.
I prefer to use round down.
1.999 rounding down is 1.
That is the reason why only ONE logvalue is "used" , and equal to "minimum".

Hi Polarguin,

yes, that's clear. But also in case of you have 20'000 log-values, calculating "1.0 Low" from log-values makes no sense, because it's impossible to get the duration between all frames from log-data.
Maybe there is a much easier solution available: "MSI Afterburner" seems to monitor this values directly:

Afterburner.png

I'm not an Afterburner Guru, but I think these values can be logged into a file -> this log-file can be opened and presented by Generic Log Viewer !

Regards
Tom

Very nice log viewer. I've been using it a lot to view GPU-z and Aida data together. Thank you for making this.

May I ask for one small feature?

I use it to look at reading trends as well as the last reading (right-most) to see current temperature, etc. But the right-most reading is furtherest away from the Y axis scale, making it difficult to read. Can you add the ability to display the Y axis to the far right?

Hi wuyanxu,

hm .. I'm not sure if this is possible(?). I'm happy with "the many grid lines" which are typically shown and Y-axis scale only on the left side, because this guaratees more space for the graph (especially in "Two columns" mode).

Maybe you don't know already the "mouse over feature":
if you put the mouse cursor somewhere "direct on the line of a graph", the exact value is shown:

MouseOver.png

Maybe this helps to read values furtherest away from the Y-axis scale ... :)

Thanks for quick reply. Yes, the mouse over feature works somewhat, but rather cumbersome with multiple diagrams. It won't be an at-a-glance feature.

How about add a "last reading" read-out on the top for each line? After min-avg-max readings?

This is my Aida configuration, you can see the right-most value is quite difficult to glance read through so many lines.
1601370653521.png

Hi wuyanxu,

I think I got the "perfect solution": when "Reload"-button is pressed, Y-axis scale moves to the right:

Right.png

I will work on this approach ...

That would be perfect, the mock-up is exactly what I was asking, thank you! Sorry it wasn't clear initially.

The use-case is to press Reload button to see latest values, so having the Y-axis tied to this makes perfect sense.

Hi all,

I'm thinking about another feature for the "Reload"-button:
so that the curves don't get longer and longer, it would make sense to configure something like "show last 10 minutes". You would always see a time window of x-minutes of the same length.

What do you think ?

New Version 5.4 available !

Hi all, I built a version 5.4 with the following new features:
  • "Reload file" button can be configured to display only the "last x minutes"
  • after clicking "Reload file" button, Y-axis scale of Timeline-diagrams moves to the right side, because there are the "more interesting/latest values"
How to configure display only the "last x minutes":
  1. Click on "Edit" button (near filename)
  2. Configure a "last minutes" value
  3. Click "Apply"

LastMinutes.png

Special thanks to @wuyanxu for inspiration and beta testing :toast:

Best regards
Tom

Download:
you can download version 5.4 from first post of this thread: Post #1

New Version 6.0 available !

Hi all, I built a version 6.0 with the following new features:
  • Support of Command-Line-Arguments
  • Drag & drop of files
  • "Change all" buttons with SMART-functionality
For details check this video on YouTube

Regards
Tom

Download:
you can download version 6.0 from first post of this thread: Post #1

Last edited:
New Version 6.1 available !

Hi all, I built a version 6.1 with the following new features:
  • Style your own Generic Log Viewer MainWindow ... if you like
  • Diagrams can now be "locked" (for "Change all" buttons with SMART-functionality)
  • Some new "Hot-Keys" are implemented

Styling MainWindow
You can set now some parameters with a "Style-File" to define your own look of your Generic Log Viewer. As an example, have a look at the color settings of beta-tester WinstonWoof:

look.png

For details please check the attached example style-file "UserStyleExample.sty" ...
Remark: I do not recommend such colors/settings as in "UserStyleExample.sty", but showing the effect of any parameter is easier with "strange colors" :)

Locking Diagrams
For the following use case is a nice new feature available: to get an overview about all log-categories you can do a walk-through with the "Change all" SMART-functionality (see YouTube). "Change all" will scroll "page-by-page". But what can you do, if there is an interesting log-category which should stay for comparing with other (coming) log-categories? Answer: you can "lock" it. If you do a "right click" on a diagram it will be "locked" and the log-category will not change until you unlock it (with another right-click):

locked.png

In addition: if you press the new hot-key "S" (sort), all locked diagrams will be moved to the top-rows of Generic Log Viewer. So, after locking a diagram press "S" -> Generic Log Viewer will be filled up with your most interesting categories from top to bottom ...

New Hot-Keys
I implemented some new hot-keys. If you press "F1" (help) a window with all supported hot-keys is shown. Especially "H" (header) can be interesting, it hides the the "header-line" of Generic LogViewer -> more space for diagrams available ...

Hope you enjoy the new features
Tom

Attachments

• UserStyleExample.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 104
New Version 6.2 available !

Hi all, I built a version 6.2 with the following new features:
  • Selection of log-application via command-line-argument
  • Optional file "GenericLogViewer.cla" for better "Open with ..."
  • Adjustment of hot keys

Selection of log-application via command-line-argument
There are four new command line arguments (keywords = log-application names):
  • Afterburner
  • AIDA64
  • HWINFO
  • GPU-Z
If one of these words is defined as command-line-argument, you will not be asked for the log-application when opening the first log file, because it's already known to the Generic Log Viewer.

Optional file "GenericLogViewer.cla" for better "Open with ..."
The problem with Windows "Open with ..." is, that you cannot define command-line-arguments (unlike a desktop shortcut). Since version 6.2 you can pass command-line-arguments to the Generic Log Viewer also in "a file". If there is a file "GenericLogViewer.cla" in the same directory as the executable "GenericLogViewer.exe", "GenericLogViewer.cla" is read at startup and evaluated for command-line-arguments (for more info see example file "_GenericLogViewer.cla", is part of the release zip).

Adjustment of hot keys
I prefixed the single letter hotkeys (C, D, H, R and S) with "Alt + ...", because e.g. logging categories like "CPU ..." couldn't longer "quickly selected" (filtered) by clicking on letter C.

Enjoy the new features
Tom

Last edited: