• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for a Paperweight? Buy an Oculus Quest 2 and Get Your Facebook Account Locked

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
That cannot even be legal, that you are forced to have an active Facebook account to use VR.

Why not? It's like having to have a google account to post to youtube. Same concept. Shitty as ever. Allowed blatantly by runaway capitalism, frankly.

I would be (I am) a verified and registered user so this wouldn't be a problem. It does suck that those who are trying to make it happen, indeed. However, get your shiza in order and this doesn't happen. :)

I have a facebutt. It is locked down so much and has so little info on me it thinks I live in Colarado and keeps giving me local news from there.

I sort of like that.

@Raevenlord

Dude you gotta change your click bait title. This is a shame.

I'm sorry Raevenlord but I'm inclined to agree here.

Wait, what TV did YOU buy? No TV I've ever bought requires anything other then it being plugged into the wall and an antenna.

Probably a vizio. Good luck if you go online for even 5 seconds with one of those.

I made that mistake before I bought my LG. My nice new Vizio updated quickly without my consent, and killed it's ability to do chroma 444 in an eye blink. No reverting. It was nope-spidered back to the store really quickly.

That cannot even be legal, that you are forced to have an active Facebook account to use VR.
Actually, it technically is. But the legalities are complicated, just like many aspects of the legal field.

Why not? It's like having to have a google account to post to youtube. Same concept.
No, it isn't. The difference is the hardware and how access is implemented. Having a Google account is not required to access YouTube, to use it or view it's content, only to directly input content(videos/comments). And to use Google made hardware, one does not have to have a Google account. Should you have one and Google lock said account the device in question will still function, only without the Google specific online access. Same if you never set one up.

But with the Quest2, it is non-functional without a FB account. You can't just use the device without the FB functionality. This behavior is very legally questionable, fundamentally unethical and morally lacking on every level.

Shitty as ever.
Fully agree!
Allowed blatantly by runaway capitalism, frankly.
Nonsense like this needs to be roped in and entities like Facebook, Apple, Microsoft and Google need to be put in their place and reminded that while they have the right to do business and make money, they also have the obligation to conduct themselves on a level that is strictly ethical and does not victimize the public through unfair practices.

Probably a vizio. Good luck if you go online for even 5 seconds with one of those.
Well duh. Who'd be dumb enough to let a TV get online? The internet is a great utility, but some things are just taken too far. I buy a TV to be a TV, not an internet box.

Last edited:
Reactions: bug
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
The difference is the hardware and how access is implemented.

Ok different example. Webcam tied to youtube (they exist). Razer mouse tied to synapse? It goes on.

I suppose you can still use the BASICS of the razer mouse example, but still...

Who'd be dumb enough to let a TV get online?

It asked my wifi and told me I was registering my product. It lied, basically.

Nonsense like this needs to be roped in and entities like Facebook, Apple, Microsoft and Google need to be put in their place and reminded that while they have the right to do business and make money, they also have the obligation to conduct themselves on a level that is strictly ethical and does not victimize the public through unfair practices.

Keep in mind runaway capitalism does not mean capitalism is bad. Healthy capitalism puts near-monopolies like google back in their infant play pen state at times to keep the market healthy. That was kind of my point. Google and several tech companies definently need a restructuring IMO.

I buy a TV to be a TV, not an internet box.

I mean the streaming apps are basically TV for me at this point. The built in apps would be handy if I could trust them more than I can throw them, which I can't.

I have monitors for other content.

Webcam tied to youtube (they exist).
Yup, I've set one up for a client. And they still work without an internet connection.
Razer mouse tied to synapse?
But as you said, the Razor mouse still works as a mouse without the software.

My point was that the headline of this article hits the nail precisely on the head. Quest 2 is a paperweight without both an internet connection AND a Facebook account even if a user is just using it as a display plugged into a PC, which is completely and totally unacceptable.

Healthy capitalism puts near-monopolies like google back in their infant play pen state at times to keep the market healthy. That was kind of my point.
Fully agree.

Google and several tech companies definitely need a restructuring IMO.
Especially Facebook, Microsoft and Google.

I mean the streaming apps are basically TV for me at this point.
Get an Android TV box, root it, install a firewall and a few other app management utilities and have fun. Android TV boxes are dead cheap.