1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for CPU cooler to overclock i7 920

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by -1nf1n1ty-, Jun 20, 2013.

1. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    I recently received the new Thermal Compound and overclocked my i7 920 to 4.1ghz my temps are still really high 50-58c (58 at random times, then quickly drops back down) this is Idle, on load (when I am playing a game) it is 70-75c. I tried reseatting( if I spelled that right) and I have changed the compound about 2 times and thoroughly cleaned it, still the same temps. Any tips?

I applied the Thermal Compound using the drop method, I am currently on the line method same temps. Thought you all should know.

2. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like possibly poor contact on the cpu or an issue with the pump

Does the cooler fit securely to the cpu?

Is the pump making any odd noises?

Contact wise the TIM imprint on the cooler should be roughly dime-sized (after spreading) and appear completely even. If you take the cooler off again, can you take a pic of how the TIM spreads on the cpu?

*Note- I had an H70, which is similar to your cooler, on a 980X (4.1Ghz) and it never went over 62C at full load. I'm using it atm on a mildly overclocked Xeon and it's running 52-56C at full load.

-1nf1n1ty- says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:

The Cooler is secure on the CPU, no odd noises everything on the coolers side is just fine. I will take a picture of how the paste looks and post it

Norton says thanks.
  4. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    Ok Here is what it looks like when I took the cooler off, I went ahead and tried and cleaned the thermal paste yet again and tried the super small application on it and 1 of my cores will sometimes go to 60-68 I saw 70 once when the computer was just coming on and things were loading up.

Attached Files:

5. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    The TIM on the pic looks a little heavy... less is more. If you're using AS5 it will take a while to set in but temps still seem high.

Note- clean the small bit of TIM off of your board (lower RH near one of the caps in the pic)

The only other thing I would check is the radiator for bent fins or excessive dust clogging....

-1nf1n1ty- says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    I will definitely check that out tomorrow, I am using the pk-1. I cleaned a lot of it cause I noticed it as well I put a small tiny dot in the middle of the CPU so I dont know what it is I will check the radiator. Thanks for the help though!

7. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    That definitly looks like too much TIM. You should definitely be getting better temps with a rad of that size. I forget exactly what mine peaks at, but it is somewhere in the range of 58 C on a smaller rad.

8. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    I managed to get it in the 40's for idle so.....progress?

Edit: I still have it over clocked when playing a game it ramps up to 60-70c

Attached Files:

• idle.png
      idle.png
      File size:
      109.9 KB
      Views:
  9. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Depends on ambient.

mine sits at 36 system and 33-38 on the 4 cores at idle. You should be seeing very similar system and core temps with your cooler.

10. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    I dont know how else to get it colder I really don't I have applied the paste many different ways and different times and still the same temps, maybe (I forget who said it) was right and the CPU cooler might be screwed up? this is as low as I got it
    or maybe I need to let it settle in?

EDIT: Even running Prime it jumps to 90c so like I said I don't know what to do other than maybe replace the cooler but what if it's not the problem?