• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for some help identifying a problem(?) with Amp! Extreme Core Ed. 1080 Ti (may need help with bios flashing and/or replacing TIM)

System Name Green Machine
Processor Intel i7-6700K @ 4.635 GHz Core & 4.325 GHz Cache
Motherboard ASUS Z170 TUF Sabertooth Mark 1
Cooling Corsair H110i GT 280mm AIO
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16GB (4x4) @ 3300 MHz (16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) MSI 4070 Super Gaming X Slim 12GB (2910 Mhz core 21.5 Gbps mem)
Storage Samsung 950 PRO 512GB NVME SSD , Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD , WD Blue 7200 1TB HDD
Display(s) Sony XBR810C 55" 4K TV
Case Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition Mid-Tower
Audio Device(s) OG Bose Wave Radio acting as a "soundbar"
Power Supply EVGA P2 Platinum 750w
Mouse Several
Keyboard Several
Software Windows 10 Home
<story may help, but tldr is in bold>

Hello, all. Sorry for the long subject title - I was trying to be as descriptive as possible. Anyway, here's my issue. I'm on my third-ever gpu since I built this system in early 2016 (my first build in ~20 years). I started out with the Zotac Amp! Extreme 980 Ti. That card had a 77.5% ASIC score, and it was easily able to OC to 1500Mhz with my custom fan curve, which was more or less 1:1 temp(c):fan%. Even during benchmarks like Firestrike and in hardcore games such as Witcher 3 sessions (1440@ultra w/ vsync) that card would NEVER reach 60c, ever. In fact, I found it amusing that with my custom fan profile, no matter what games I was playing or what benchmark I was running, the thing basically stayed below 56deg/56%fan at all times. It would usually cap at 55/55 in 999/1000 sessions. Basically, the card BLEW me away. I thought I had a freak gpu sample.

Anyway, I bought that 980 Ti late in its life, and I was compelled to buy a 1080 (another Amp! Extreme Edition, of course, after this first experience) right when they came out because I thought it would allow me to play my fav game (Witcher 3) at 4k with vsync on (60fps). Turns out I was wrong. Even though my 980 Ti could do it in the high 40s avg, I just couldn't really go beyond 54-56 on avg with the new 1080. So, yea, that's my excuse for making such a dumb decision with that particular upgrade....but honestly the Amp! Extreme 1080 was still just as amazing with the temperatures as the 980 Ti was. So by now I was thoroughly impressed with these cards by Zotac, and I planned on getting the 1080 Ti as soon as I could.

Well, I now have the 1080 Ti, but I ended up buying the Amp! Extreme "Core" Edition because the non-core (the normal amp! extreme) was sold out everywhere and no one was sure if they were getting them back. I purchased it anyway, and the card did allow me to play Witcher 3 in 4k Ultra at 60fps Vsync. I was happy with that. What I wasn't happy with was the thermals. My prior 2 cards were the same, MAXING out at about 55/56c @ 55/56% fan. This new card would reach into the high 60s and even low 70s even with a slightly more demanding curve (once it hit 50c I jumped it up to 60%, so fan% = temp+10). That didn't seem so bad at first, especially considering the fact that I heard it ran hotter than the other two. But when I look at reviews I still see people touting the same amazing thermal specs that I had with my prior 2 amp extreme cards... And , btw, the room I game in is usually about 17c, so a bit colder than most others......

Fast forward to a few months ago. I recently moved across town and brought my PC with me. I didn't game for a while, so I'm just noticing this now. My 1080 Ti now reaches over 70c on most any demanding game, and I see it hit 80-85 on occasion in some games (The Dwarves is one..., so was Dragon Quest XI at the very very beginning of the game, before it crashed..). This is with my room at abou 16c. Window open in winter. To me, this can't be right.

My experience with my past 2 amp extreme cards, combined with the fact that this card still has the same BEASTLY cooling solution attached to it (and most reviews I still see of my exact card - the core edition- are still claiming the same type of results I had with my past 2 amp extreme cards), are making me search for possible fixes. Basically I'm interested in re-applying thermal paste to the GPU itself and doing anything else (while I'm "in" there) that might help the card out. What I'm asking you guys is if there are any other tests or things to look for which may give me a better idea as to what may be causing such poor performance with my card's thermals. I also have heard talk about replacing VBIOS on cards (I keep hearing about the STRIX BIOS), but I have never done that before and, again, would be love to be pointed in the right direction if someone knows a place/forum that deals with my particular card. I am pretty technically/computer proficient myself, but working with GPUs in particular is new to me, and a little scary just considering how much they cost (and I don't believe my card has dual bios).

Any help anyone can offer me or direct me towards would be GREATLY appreciated, and I'm very sorry for the long description/story/wallOtext. I just like to break it down as much as possible so folks see where I'm coming from.

System Name Space Heater MKIV
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASRock B550 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, 3x Noctua NF-A14s
Memory 2x32GB Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4-3600 C18 1.35V
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil (2150MHz, 240W PL)
Storage 2TB WD SN850X, 4x1TB Crucial MX500 (striped array), LG WH16NS40 BD-RE
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG (34" 3440x1440 144Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1700BT, Samson SR850
Power Supply Corsair RM850x, CyberPower CST135XLU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Glorious GMMK 2 96%
Software Windows 10 LTSC 2021, Linux Mint
Replacing thermal paste on GPUs is easy. Just be careful if you use conductive compound.

I guess you could check the thermal pads on the power delivery circuitry and VRAM.

@eidairaman1 can help you with BIOS flashing.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Replacing thermal paste on GPUs is easy. Just be careful if you use conductive compound.

I guess you could check the thermal pads on the power delivery circuitry and VRAM.

@eidairaman1 can help you with BIOS flashing.

He needs to condense the wall of text to what the problem is, im not going to try and decyper it.

System Name Space Heater MKIV
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASRock B550 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, 3x Noctua NF-A14s
Memory 2x32GB Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4-3600 C18 1.35V
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil (2150MHz, 240W PL)
Storage 2TB WD SN850X, 4x1TB Crucial MX500 (striped array), LG WH16NS40 BD-RE
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG (34" 3440x1440 144Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1700BT, Samson SR850
Power Supply Corsair RM850x, CyberPower CST135XLU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Glorious GMMK 2 96%
Software Windows 10 LTSC 2021, Linux Mint
He needs to condense the wall of text to what the problem is, im not going to try and decyper it.
My experience with my past 2 amp extreme cards, combined with the fact that this card still has the same BEASTLY cooling solution attached to it (and most reviews I still see of my exact card - the core edition- are still claiming the same type of results I had with my past 2 amp extreme cards), are making me search for possible fixes. Basically I'm interested in re-applying thermal paste to the GPU itself and doing anything else (while I'm "in" there) that might help the card out. What I'm asking you guys is if there are any other tests or things to look for which may give me a better idea as to what may be causing such poor performance with my card's thermals. I also have heard talk about replacing VBIOS on cards (I keep hearing about the STRIX BIOS), but I have never done that before and, again, would be love to be pointed in the right direction if someone knows a place/forum that deals with my particular card. I am pretty technically/computer proficient myself, but working with GPUs in particular is new to me, and a little scary just considering how much they cost (and I don't believe my card has dual bios).

Looks like he wants to know if he can cross-flash it with the Asus ROG Strix BIOS, and if not, what BIOS will work on it. He wants to know if that could help with his bad thermals.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Looks like he wants to know if he can cross-flash it with the Asus ROG Strix BIOS, and if not, what BIOS will work on it. He wants to know if that could help with his bad thermals.

Replace thermal compound/pads, dust the card and case.

Ambient room temperature is a big factor in all computers, blowing hot air on hot parts makes em hotter.

Ymmv.

I need a gpu-z screenshot and a link to the specific bios, click arrow next to uefi checkbox in gpu-z, attempt upload to vga bios collection through the program, should get prompted about bios being in database, copy and paste link here

Some cards may need a washer trick

Storage Samsung 950 PRO 512GB NVME SSD , Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD , WD Blue 7200 1TB HDD
Mouse Several
Keyboard Several
Software Windows 10 Home

Hence the line at the very top of the post which was put in specifically for folks such as yourself. And I did apologize (for those who actually did take the minute to read it ).

Ask vague questions, get vague answers is how I see it. If it's too long of a read for anyone, you can just read the bold parts (or choose not to help me). Thanks, and I'm sorry.

Replace thermal compound/pads, dust the card and case.

Ambient room temperature is a big factor in all computers, blowing hot air on hot parts makes em hotter.

Ymmv.

I need a gpu-z screenshot and a link to the specific bios, click arrow next to uefi checkbox in gpu-z, attempt upload to vga bios collection through the program, should get prompted about bios being in database, copy and paste link here

Some cards may need a washer trick

As stated, my ambient temps are very low (compared to most). Right this moment, I'm in my room and the ambient temp is about 16c. Gets as low as 13c at times. During winter, it's almost always 15-19c. The PC case gets literally ice cold.

EDIT: Forgot the screenshot. Here is Gpu-Z. If you need anything else for me, let me know. BTW, this card is basically stock (well, it's a "stock" Amp! Extreme Core Edition - I haven't really fiddled with anything except fan profiles etc in afterburner but they were currently disabled when this SS was taken).

Attachments

• Gpu-Z.jpg
    Gpu-Z.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
if i understand correct you create a problem where there is none: look at the temps:

cannot compare a 980ti to a 1080ti just because it has a similar looking cooler and 70° during gaming is good-no probs here.

in reviews they often use a open bench test so yeah in a case your temp will go above that.

maybe i misread your concerns- if yes sorry and forget my post

Last edited:
Mouse Several
Keyboard Several
Software Windows 10 Home
I'm getting over 70c gaming. Sometimes over 80c. This is in a room that's usually ~16c. And I wasn't only comparing to my other gpus. I constantly hear people saying their 1080 Ti (same model as mine) runs very cool (then they post temps/fan% that are identical to what I had on my other amp extremes). Oh, yea, and then there's the fact that it used to stay within 65-70c. I've just recently noticed (after not gaming for a while), that it's jumping into the 70s constantly (and, in some games, into the low 80s) - and dthis is with near 100% fan speeds). I can't help but feel that something's up.

Anyway, I found these videos:

I'll try and find a board that's specifically for my card since I feel this is not the right place to post this kind of (specific gpu tweak/repair) stuff. Thanks, though.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Whats your system specs, to include heatsinks on cpus, fans, case size.

If you have such a problem contact zotac or learn how to crossflash.

Hows your cable management?

Case air flow is paramount.

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Motherboard MSI x570S Unify-X Max
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Memory 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance bdie 3600@CL16 1.35v
Video Card(s) GB 2080S WaterForce WB
Storage six M.2 pcie gen 4
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE, modded Sennheiser HD 558, Klipsch 2.1 THX
Power Supply Corsair RMx 750w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Benchmark Scores TimeSpy score Fire Strike Ultra SuperPosition CB20
is the corsair set to blow the hot air outside the case?
replacing the tim will probably help a bit, but usually not with the avg temps, but peak numbers like min/max.
proper airflow seems to be the problem, as the card should be a bit cooler when using a LC for the cpu.

when running air cooled cards i used to put a piece of black (foam) writing board between end of the card and the ODD,
so that the air from front fans/intake would get pushed below the gpu, and thus less rebreathing of (hotter) case air.

Last edited: