• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

LSI SandForce Controllers Demonstrate Breakthrough Performance and Endurance

LSI, an Avago Technologies Company, today announced breakthrough performance and endurance demonstrations of its third-generation SandForce SF3700 flash controller. After successfully introducing industry-leading sequential performance of 1800 MB/s, the SF3700 is now demonstrating mixed 80/20 (read/write) workload performance of up to 1300 MB/s with a native PCIe interface. This incredible real-world performance is supported by the integrated SHIELD error correction with hard and soft LDPC and DSP technology, engineered to meet the associated endurance requirements.

The SF3700 performance and endurance represents a substantial improvement over competitive flash controller designs. Unlike current solutions, the SF3700 controller is optimized and architected for bi-directional PCIe traffic, unlocking the maximum performance capability to meet requirements for client and enterprise applications.

"Flash storage solutions used for client computing, big data, and hyperscale enterprises are continuing to grow at unprecedented levels, driving the need for more advanced flash controllers to manage these data-intensive environments," said Thad Omura, vice president of marketing, Flash Components Division, LSI. "The SF3700 is the ideal-building block for next-generation storage solutions with its full-duplex architecture. Both enterprise and client applications will benefit from our proprietary LDPC engine which enables customers to significantly extend NAND flash life by dynamically balancing performance and reliability with minimal latency."

"Storage developers want to ensure they're designing in the best technology available, which is why we worked with LSI to enable our leading-edge 16 nm flash memory with their SandForce SF3700 flash controllers," said Kevin Kilbuck, director of NAND marketing at Micron Technology. "Choosing the right flash and controller combination is critical to getting the best performance and endurance from any solid-state solution."

LSI is dedicated to providing early support and optimized reliability and endurance for NAND devices and is demonstrating its currently shipping SandForce SF-2000 series flash controllers that support key NAND suppliers including Toshiba, Micron and SK Hynix. Using many of the latest technologies including L95B 16 nm and A19 nm 128 Gb MLC NAND flash, the SF-2000 with SATA continues to outperform many of today's competitive PCIe offerings.

Both the SF3700 and SF-2000 flash controller demonstrations will be available at the LSI booth #404 at the Santa Clara Convention Center. For more information on LSI SandForce flash controllers, visit www.lsi.com/sandforce.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name My Surround PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-F
Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Memory 96GB (2 x 48 GB) G.Skill DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24GB
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Display(s) 2 x Viotek GFI27QXA 27" 4K 120Hz + LG UH850 4K 60Hz + HMD
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Sony MDR-7506 / Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x 1 kW
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Mellanox ConnectX-3 10 Gb/s Fiber Network Card
Cool, looking forward for SF3700 SATA drives.

While SF-37xx chips do support SATA, I don't see the point to buying a SATA drive. The SF22xx drives can already saturate SATA 6Gb/s. There's no point to buying a SF-37xx series drive unless it's using PCIe.

While SF-37xx chips do support SATA, I don't see the point to buying a SATA drive. The SF22xx drives can already saturate SATA 6Gb/s. There's no point to buying a SF-37xx series drive unless it's using PCIe.

PCIe is definitely where it's at for performance.

System Name Chaos
Processor Intel Core i5 4590K @ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z97 MPower MAX AC
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 + MX4
Memory 4x4 GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400 GT/s CL11
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 1070 Dual @ stock
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 1 TB WD Green (Idle timer off) + 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750 Platinum
Mouse CM Storm Recon
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro (MX Red)
Booth 404? It's like they don't want to be found...

I... I'm sorry.

New controller also features other improvements, not just speed...