1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Major BUG: GPU-Z causes Windows 10 PC to hard lock

Discussion in 'GPU-Z' started by Naki, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Naki

Thanks Received:
    Using Windows 10 OS, 64-bit Pro - version 1703.
    GPU-Z, as well as lots of other apps/programs are set to start automatically with the OS.
    Other Specs of problem PC: ASUS mobo, Intel Core i3 CPU (socket 1150), 16 GB of RAM, AMD Radeon R9 390 card with 8 GB of videoRAM. Intel SSD+2 Seagate HDDs (5 TB slower Archive HDD+ 3 GB faster desktop HDD).
    Using latest Beta/non-WHQL AMD Radeon drivers version: 17.9.1, dated Sept 7th 2017 - installed a few days ago.
    Input devices are Microsoft Ergonomic Sculpt Desktop 2.0, wireless (1 USB receiver for the 2 devices.)
    EDIT: I am using Windows 10 Fast boot/Fast startup with GPT/UEFI mode for my Intel SSD/Windows OS.
    Other system apps set to start with OS: Core Temp 1.10.2 64-bit, but I am pretty much sure it is not the issue here, as it starts fine and then starts working properly (shows CPU cores' temps/load/etc).
    (Non-system apps/programs starting also are lots of them, but I do not think they apply. Still, I will list some just in case: Skype, Viber, ICQ, several Cloud apps, Spotify, Evernote, Slack/etc)

PROBLEM: Today when I powered up my PC, I noticed GPU-Z splash-screen getting "stuck" for a long time. I thought this is nothing special, as it has happened before, just wait and GPU-Z will start and splash screen will go away, as it should. NOT so! The PC was frozen - mouse pointer did not react, keyboard too. The HDD light was blinking, so the PC did not completely freeze, but was fully unusable due to mouse & keyboard not responding. Then I had to forcefully restart the PC 4-5 times via the Reset button on the case - but this did not help any.
    The last time I did so, I very quickly started Task Manager early after login, and was able to kill the culprit - GPU-Z - so that it does not freeze the PC again. And the PC now works.
    I am afraid to restart now! And I really do not want this happening tomorrow (I turn off my PC every night).

Any comments? Please fix this ASAP.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  2. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Could be the new AMD drivers. Are you able to reproduce it every time?

Naki says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Naki

Thanks Received:
    Don't know. Only happened first today. As I said, I restarted the PC 4-5 times until I got it to work, so this definitely happened more than once.

I am not willing to restart the PC now - I am behind 5-6 days with my work, and I cannot work if the PC freezes, as you know.

NOTE: If it matters, I am using Windows 10 Fast boot/Fast startup with GPT/UEFI mode for my Intel SSD/Windows OS.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  4. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    I've had freezing problems too, only 2 times though. Last time was after updating to latest version, I launched it and the PC froze requiring a hard reset. Can't replicate though as every time I've run it since then it behaves properly

Naki says thanks.
  5. deadman3000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Happens to me a lot. AMD 17.9.1 drivers here. Usually happens after changing the voltage settings (I think) in WattMan then opening GPU-Z.

Naki says thanks.
  6. eidairaman1

eidairaman1 The Exiled Airman

Thanks Received:
    Revert to previous drivers

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    Obviously that's a workaround. That doesn't fix the bug in GPU-Z however.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. vegaio New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had also a series of hard locks while using GPU-Z. I use a Vega AIO with a 750W Titanium grade PSU, drivers are 17.9.1. I think that it also could a problem with unsufficient power, as the for Vega AIO a 1000W PSU is required. I had hard locks ingame and on desktop. I experienced also hard locks while using HWINFO64. I already ordered a more powerful PSU.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Naki says thanks.
  9. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    your work is more important than gpuz, why do you need gpuz? kak mozhe taka

there are other tools like hwinfo that list both cpu+gpu instead of using two separate programs

Naki says thanks.
  10. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR

Thanks Received:
    Well, i had this problem happened once...had gpu-z running on start up.

Naki says thanks.
  11. Naki

Thanks Received:
    I am a proud beta tester of GPU-Z! Also, I have suggested many features/new functions over the years, many of which were implemented by GPU-Z author. :)
    So, I like GPU-Z and do not want to use anything else for this.

Could be not GPU-Z, in fact. Maybe a combination of those latest AMD Radeon drivers+my Windows 10 being Insider Preview.
    MY Windows 10 OS is the Insider Preview kind, maybe I should have mentioned that.

RE Core Temp, I have translated it into Bulgarian, and also suggested some new features, implemented by author (for Core Temp, just a few - less than those I suggested for GPU-Z). :)
    So, likewise I like it and do not want to stop using it. ;)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  12. Totally

Thanks Received:
    Also using GPU-Z 2.40, W10Pro 1703, along with 17.9.1 drivers (more info listed in system specs), am not experiencing this behavior.