• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Maps, science, data & statistics tracking of COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
I'm hoping to go to UK in July still. I will be at peak immunity with Pfizer two shot vaccine, which protects against all the strains, and I will be double masking as soon as I enter the airport (as well as wearing my gaming glasses (which cover the side of the eyes too like goggles) I'm convinced covid is an aerosol, and if its just floating there and you walk into a cloud of it and blink you can get it from eyes, I can't prove this, but I am being extra careful (if I look goofy so what who cares, no one ever talks to each other at an airport anyway)... then when in England I will show my negative PCR test that I took in USA within 72 hours, and then I will be allowed to proceed to a small village my relatives live at, where I intend to get naked in their garden, bag all my clothes, spray my luggage and leave it outside, shower, put on fresh clothes, gargle with mouthwash... and continue to wear gloves and mask for ten days when not outside my room. I don't need anyone to check up on me, I intend to stay in my room for ten days, cause last thing I want is to get anyone sick.

I intend to stay for two months, so ten days is worthy sacrifice. My job is remote too in the Fall, so I may end up staying for 3 months then flying home. We will see, max travel visa is 90 days.

IMO though the other vaccines need to go. Pfizer has saved the day. Moderna still hasn't released their numbers on some variants which worries me as its been a long time since Pfizer did... Pfizer is king... TSMC should order 46 million shots of Pfizer in honor of their insane profits LOL jk that's a shame China is blocking Pfizer, I wonder what their reasoning is?
Double masking isn't going to do you much good, it'll just make it hard to breathe, get a better fitting mask instead. Keep in mind that airplanes have HEPA air filters that should take of most of the nasties.

I flew back to Taiwan from Sweden in July last year and it wasn't a big deal.

The link below is to the Lancet. No idea why it looks like this.

You might not want to get naked in front of your relatives though, it's not a thing you do in the UK...

China is blocking Taiwan from buying Pfizer/BioNTEch, as the distributor is based in China.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Double masking isn't going to do you much good, it'll just make it hard to breathe, get a better fitting mask instead. Keep in mind that airplanes have HEPA air filters that should take of most of the nasties.

I flew back to Taiwan from Sweden in July last year and it wasn't a big deal.

The link below is to the Lancet. No idea why it looks like this.

You might not want to get naked in front of your relatives though, it's not a thing you do in the UK...

China is blocking Taiwan from buying Pfizer/BioNTEch, as the distributor is based in China.

i meant like they would have a towel ready for me, etc so i could rush straight to shower.. lol not expose myself!!! im not crazy mate lol

and wow China is a major... well I can't use that language here. haha

I hope my pfizer vaccines were not distributed by China, why would I trust such a mean personality? pretty sure all pfizer here made in USA though, so it all good.

Well, a lot of masks in the USA are cheaper, poorly fitting masks. A properly fitted mask will be easier to breath and more reliable than two masks. But... two masks can fix the leakage problem that our common masks have.

I think I agree with you that finding a good fitting, higher quality mask, would be far more comfortable than double masking. But I wouldn't hate on the double-masking recommendation. I know some people are worried about the "infection through eyes" thing, but I personally just wear my glasses on top of my mask (I need them to drive anyway).

That being said: this mRNA vaccination thing (of which I'm fully vaccinated now) is way more effective than anyone expected. I probably will mask up in airports, but... I'm seeing plummeting numbers of COVID19 around the USA. Its clear that the high-rate of vaccination is helping out. So I'm feeling pretty optimistic given the numbers. I dunno what the UK's numbers are, but I assume they also have a high-rate of vaccinations and therefore low COVID19 numbers.

pretty sure all pfizer here made in USA though, so it all good.

Pfizer is manufactured in USA and Germany IIRC. Pfizer being in the USA, and Biontech in Germany (same vaccine, different manufacturers, some kind of weird corporate relationship going on that I don't understand).

EDIT: I think Pfizer also has some German locations too. So even that one company isn't strictly US-only.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
Pfizer is manufactured in USA and Germany IIRC. Pfizer being in the USA, and Biontech in Germany (same vaccine, different manufacturers, some kind of weird corporate relationship going on that I don't understand).

Same here.

Regardless, for ANY country to block VACCINES to another country in the middle of a PANDEMIC ... that's criminal, IMO

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Ah yes, entitled people going on holiday, because nothing bad can happen now...

I will admit I'm itching to go somewhere too, but I will make damn well sure I've been dosed up on the vaccine first and I'm not going to a party place to get wasted.
Not sure about "entitled", all the ones interviewed on a British Airways flight set to leave this morning were either Healthcare workers (who have all been vaccinated) or Supermarket workers, two thirds of the population have been vaccinated now but everyone still has to have had a negative PCR test within 72 hours of flying, plus of course the infection rates in Portugal are very low hence why they are one of the few countries (12) that are on our green list.

@dragontamer5788 Biontech developed the vaccine, Pfizer offered manufacturing, logistics & supply.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Well, a lot of masks in the USA are cheaper, poorly fitting masks. A properly fitted mask will be easier to breath and more reliable than two masks. But... two masks can fix the leakage problem that our common masks have.

I think I agree with you that finding a good fitting, higher quality mask, would be far more comfortable than double masking. But I wouldn't hate on the double-masking recommendation. I know some people are worried about the "infection through eyes" thing, but I personally just wear my glasses on top of my mask (I need them to drive anyway).

That being said: this mRNA vaccination thing (of which I'm fully vaccinated now) is way more effective than anyone expected. I probably will mask up in airports, but... I'm seeing plummeting numbers of COVID19 around the USA. Its clear that the high-rate of vaccination is helping out. So I'm feeling pretty optimistic given the numbers. I dunno what the UK's numbers are, but I assume they also have a high-rate of vaccinations and therefore low COVID19 numbers.

USA still only has 40% vaccinated population in total, they always say like 200-300 million doses which sounds like a lot until you divide by two cause only like tiny percentage have jnj single...

and every county/clinic in USA basically has empty sites... no one else is getting the shot. i think we are looking at a max of 45% total population vaccinated by end of August.

Not sure about "entitled", all the ones interviewed on a British Airways flight set to leave this morning were either Healthcare workers (who have all been vaccinated) or Supermarket workers, two thirds of the population have been vaccinated now but everyone still has to have had a negative PCR test within 72 hours of flying, plus of course the infection rates in Portugal are very low hence why they are one of the few countries (12) that are on our green list.

@dragontamer5788 Biontech developed the vaccine, Pfizer offered manufacturing, logistics & supply.

the AZ vaccine isn't doing well against the Indian variant, boris literally just sent the army in like 4 days ago... to force testing i presume? it's not about deaths anymore, its about not testing positive at x ratios so that economies can stay open. and the indian variant may shut down England again, just have to wait and see. need more Pfizer less AZ.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Software Win 10 Home x64
On the contrary, AZ is effective against the Indian variant and was the 1st to release their test results, the Army deploys anywhere there is surge testing to support the NHS efforts, probably because most of the NHS is vaccinating people :)

Edit: Almost all of the new infections are in the 18 - 25 age range, probably because they have not been vaccinated yet.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
On the contrary, AZ is effective against the Indian variant and was the 1st to release their test results, the Army deploys anywhere there is surge testing to support the NHS efforts, probably because most of the NHS is vaccinating people :)

I did not realize this. Hmm, excellent. Well this is good news for me. I hope I can come in July without too many issues, I miss my friends and relatives so much... agh... it's funny how little you actually care about any one nation state, at end of day we all just want be with friends who care for us. Like sure I love to see sites and museums and such, and nature, etc. but at end of day main reason I'm going is I miss my friends. (i have no friends where I currently live in USA)... so yeah like Cheers theme song... we all want to be where someone knows our name

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
You have this lady's stubbornness to thank for your vaccine, even though she got near zero credit for it and the university that didn't believe in her sold off her patents.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Last year it was a lot of entitled people that helped spread the virus, maybe it's different this time around, I sure hope so.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
You have this lady's stubbornness to thank for your vaccine, even though she got near zero credit for it and the university that didn't believe in her sold off her patents.

After reading that BIO it's surprising she doesn't have a Nobel, I feel like she should have a Nobel in medicine, mRNA literally just saved the world. (I have heard of her before btw in a news article here in America a few months ago), but you are correct, I don't see her name often enough!

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I'm hoping to go to UK in July still. I will be at peak immunity with Pfizer two shot vaccine, which protects against all the strains, and I will be double masking as soon as I enter the airport (as well as wearing my gaming glasses (which cover the side of the eyes too like goggles) I'm convinced covid is an aerosol, and if its just floating there and you walk into a cloud of it and blink you can get it from eyes, I can't prove this, but I am being extra careful (if I look goofy so what who cares, no one ever talks to each other at an airport anyway)... then when in England I will show my negative PCR test that I took in USA within 72 hours, and then I will be allowed to proceed to a small village my relatives live at, where I intend to get naked in their garden, bag all my clothes, spray my luggage and leave it outside, shower, put on fresh clothes, gargle with mouthwash... and continue to wear gloves and mask for ten days when not outside my room. I don't need anyone to check up on me, I intend to stay in my room for ten days, cause last thing I want is to get anyone sick.

I intend to stay for two months, so ten days is worthy sacrifice. My job is remote too in the Fall, so I may end up staying for 3 months then flying home. We will see, max travel visa is 90 days.

IMO though the other vaccines need to go. Pfizer has saved the day. Moderna still hasn't released their numbers on some variants which worries me as its been a long time since Pfizer did... Pfizer is king... TSMC should order 46 million shots of Pfizer in honor of their insane profits LOL jk that's a shame China is blocking Pfizer, I wonder what their reasoning is?

Man, that thing has really gotten to your head then. I'd advise you to let go ASAP, because what you typed here is far from healthy behaviour, nor does it make sense.

Statistic != individual guidance. Its one of those problems we have now with information overload and too much screen time. We start thinking the numbers are a reality when in fact we have no real grasp on the scale or situations in which statistics are gathered. They're numbers too big for our mind to really understand and base a natural, logical conclusion on, let alone healthy behaviour.

Example: there is still no real-world measurement on the actual effect of wearing masks, only clinical studies that hardly approach real life situations - if ever- , but we do know the pandemic has been getting worse prior and after we started wearing them. Did it make anyone safer? Doubtful. Did we feel safer? Obviously.

Another example: aerosol transmission; again, clinical studies have defined your reality, apparently, because we also know that this risk is only 'tangible' in a very specific, rather extreme situation. No, there are no particles flying halfway around airports. The range at which the concentration could possibly be high enough for transmission is well shorter than the specific 1,5M you're supposed to socially distance yourself, and it needs to be specifically directed at you. So if someone spat you in the face, sure, risky. If not? You can safely forget about it.

Now there's a tangible effect on this pandemic. Vaccination. The only real way out. Everything else is bullshit.

Last year it was a lot of entitled people that helped spread the virus, maybe it's different this time around, I sure hope so.
Also of questionable relevance. Vaccinate ;) Pointing the finger elsewhere is not helping anyone on a grand scale of things. Its important to set that straight in our heads, seriously. This is a virus. You can't see it. It can mutate. New strains can avoid testing and even vaccination we have today. This could go on for years and might well be an ongoing battle, where we constantly have smaller risk groups every year until we're down to a similar situation as the flu.

If we whine to one another, whine about how fast you can get a vaccine. Everything else, I'll say it again: waste of time.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Man, that thing has really gotten to your head then. I'd advise you to let go ASAP, because what you typed here is far from healthy behaviour, nor does it make sense.

Statistic != individual guidance. Its one of those problems we have now with information overload and too much screen time. We start thinking the numbers are a reality when in fact we have no real grasp on the scale or situations in which statistics are gathered. They're numbers too big for our mind to really understand and base a natural, logical conclusion on, let alone healthy behaviour.

Example: there is still no real-world measurement on the actual effect of wearing masks, only clinical studies that hardly approach real life situations - if ever- , but we do know the pandemic has been getting worse prior and after we started wearing them. Did it make anyone safer? Doubtful. Did we feel safer? Obviously.

Another example: aerosol transmission; again, clinical studies have defined your reality, apparently, because we also know that this risk is only 'tangible' in a very specific, rather extreme situation. No, there are no particles flying halfway around airports. The range at which the concentration could possibly be high enough for transmission is well shorter than the specific 1,5M you're supposed to socially distance yourself, and it needs to be specifically directed at you. So if someone spat you in the face, sure, risky. If not? You can safely forget about it.

Now there's a tangible effect on this pandemic. Vaccination. The only real way out. Everything else is bullshit.

Also of questionable relevance. Vaccinate ;) Pointing the finger elsewhere is not helping anyone on a grand scale of things. Its important to set that straight in our heads, seriously. This is a virus. You can't see it. It can mutate. New strains can avoid testing and even vaccination we have today. This could go on for years and might well be an ongoing battle, where we constantly have smaller risk groups every year until we're down to a similar situation as the flu.

If we whine to one another, whine about how fast you can get a vaccine. Everything else, I'll say it again: waste of time.

what are you talking about g, if you are 100% inoculated from pfizer and my relatives are also 100% inoculated from pfizer in England, and I double mask in airport/airplane/buses. it's fine to go to England now. it's time to move on with life. if you don't want to get the pfizer vaccine that's your problem, but Pfizer has saved the day. I'm simply being extra cautious out of respect. more than I can say for most people who will still be traveling regardless of this convo. lol

I called it. lol see? India was literally on fire with new covid variant, and it took Britain two weeks to stop them coming in... and yet your calling my behavior and logic incorrect? seriously?

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
what are you talking about g, if you are 100% inoculated from pfizer and my relatives are also 100% inoculated from pfizer in England, and I double mask in airport/airplane/buses. it's fine to go to England now. it's time to move on with life. if you don't want to get the pfizer vaccine that's your problem, but Pfizer has saved the day. I'm simply being extra cautious out of respect. more than I can say for most people who will still be traveling regardless of this convo. lol

I called it. lol see? India was literally on fire with new covid variant, and it took Britain two weeks to stop them coming in... and yet your calling my behavior and logic incorrect? seriously?

Huh? Did you even read my post or where is the disconnect here?

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Software Win 10 Home x64

You do know you have the Indian variant in the US right? You most likely have US Citizens who have family in India just like the UK does, you too are therefore also likely to have let your citizens back into your country, the only way it can be stopped is to have full border closure for everyone, no one allowed out, no one allowed in (and in some circumstances that is illegal), maybe we should all check our international flight arrivals throughout this pandemic, some of us may be very surprised.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
You do know you have the Indian variant in the US right? You most likely have US Citizens who have family in India just like the UK does, you too are therefore also likely to have let your citizens back into your country, the only way it can be stopped is to have full border closure for everyone, no one allowed out, no one allowed in (and in some circumstances that is illegal), maybe we should all check our international flight arrivals throughout this pandemic, some of us may be very surprised.

Australia and NZ did that, illegal or not, and it worked for them. I'm not worried about India variant, Pfizer is protecting me, plus I wear mask still every where I go cause I'm not an idiot. If others want to be idiots that's fine, we will never reach herd immunity, but Pfizer is like a suit of armor at this point imo. it seems to stop everything in it's tracks from what I can see.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Software Win 10 Home x64
Australia and NZ did that, illegal or not, and it worked for them. I'm not worried about India variant, Pfizer is protecting me, plus I wear mask still every where I go cause I'm not an idiot. If others want to be idiots that's fine, we will never reach herd immunity, but Pfizer is like a suit of armor at this point imo. it seems to stop everything in it's tracks from what I can see.
Wrong, neither refused entry to their own citizens, I have a friend who lives in Australia (British born, married to an Australian) and he has been to the UK 3 times during this pandemic because his mother is very ill, he has dual nationality and has not been refused entry for any of his 3 trips back to Australia.

As far as armour goes, the law of averages (efficacy) says that 5 people in 100 will not be protected and dependant on variants that could increase significantly, that's why PCR tests are also required for overseas travel currently, personally I prefer to think of it as offering me a much greater degree of safety, but I am not safe.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Wrong, neither refused entry to their own citizens, I have a friend who lives in Australia (British born, married to an Australian) and he has been to the UK 3 times during this pandemic because his mother is very ill, he has dual nationality and has not been refused entry for any of his 3 trips back to Australia.

As far as armour goes, the law of averages (efficacy) says that 5 people in 100 will not be protected and dependant on variants that could increase significantly, that's why PCR tests are also required for overseas travel currently, personally I prefer to think of it as offering me a much greater degree of safety, but I am not safe.

australia had a cap on amount of citizens they let back in, so I did indeed read it wrong, but your friend was lucky cause he must have timed the cap limit just right. this family did not sadly

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Software Win 10 Home x64

australia had a cap on amount of citizens they let back in, so I did indeed read it wrong, but your friend was lucky cause he must have timed the cap limit just right. this family did not sadly
But a cap is not a ban and Australian borders are open now, they are on our green list so we can travel there so the chances are, like the US they will get these variants, you can't keep them out, they just have to be managed and as the scientists say "Test, Test, Test" and hope people isolate, and that is where we have had a problem, less than half of those instructed to isolate throughout this pandemic have done so.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
It's my understanding that the non-medical masks that are available to the public to buy don't protect the wearer from the virus. They protect others around you from you if you cough or sneeze and you are carrying the Covid-19. They are designed to catch water droplets from a sneeze or a cough but they don't really filter the air that you are breathing in.

It's my understanding that the non-medical masks that are available to the public to buy don't protect the wearer from the virus. They protect others around you from you if you cough or sneeze and you are carrying the Covid-19. They are designed to catch water droplets from a sneeze or a cough but they don't really filter the air that you are breathing in.

I've done a lot of research on filters this past year. Like... unhealthy amounts. Not only because of COVID19, but... things got interesting.

The various ratings of filters in the USA are on the MERV scale: MERV8 being usually the lowest-grade / cheapest available at most stores, and MERV13 being the highest before the typical furnace starts to suffer. (HEPA filters are a few steps above MERV13, but are so thick that they require additional pressure that typical air ducts fans are unable to push). Filtering is NOT an "all or nothing" deal. Its a smooth scale. MERV8 has very little efficacy against 0.3um particles (MERV8 only designed to affects 3um and 10um particles and above), while HEPA has 99.97% filtration. MERV9, MERV10, MERV11, MERV12, and MERV13 march closer and closer to efficacy against 0.3um particles.

That's the thing: its a sliding scale, from 20%, to 30%, to 50%, to 70%, to 99.97% (HEPPA). Cotton itself has been tested to be near the 60% efficacy region for the size of particle that most likely contains the virus. Its not perfect, and its not nothing, its just... an imperfect layer of protection. Better than nothing, but obviously worse than a real solution like vaccination (or N95 masks: which are 95% effective. Yes, less than HEPA filters).

------------------

Anyway, here's a quick experiment if you don't believe me. Oxygen / Nitrogen / Carbon Dioxide is 0.00033um in size. Its all over your lungs. Now make a whistle-shape with your mouth and blow a focused stream of air. Feel how far it goes: for me, I can feel maybe a 75% of my full arm's reach (maybe a bit over 15 inches or so). Now, put on a mask, and see how far you can blow the same air with the same mouth position.

You can't get as far, can you? Even though Carbon Dioxide is 0.00033um in size, the mask is still effective at stopping the stream. CO2 / Oxygen / Nitrogen are all much much smaller than virus particles. Why does this happen? Well, it turns out that fluid dynamics gets weird at small sizes. Even though the mask itself has holes larger than 0.00033um (much much, much larger), the fluid dynamics problem of "where does the air move" is a bit more complicated than just "Is X particle smaller than the mesh holes?".

I'm no expert on fluid dynamics, but the experiment is easy to replicate. In fact, even a MERV8 filter clearly cuts down on airflow (!!!) of CO2 / Oxygen / Nitrogen, and that filter has the "largest holes" available from typical hardware stores.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I've done a lot of research on filters this past year. Like... unhealthy amounts. Not only because of COVID19, but... things got interesting.

The various ratings of filters in the USA are on the MERV scale: MERV8 being usually the lowest-grade / cheapest available at most stores, and MERV13 being the highest before the typical furnace starts to suffer. (HEPA filters are a few steps above MERV13, but are so thick that they require additional pressure that typical air ducts fans are unable to push). Filtering is NOT an "all or nothing" deal. Its a smooth scale. MERV8 has 0% efficacy against 0.3um particles (MERV8 only affects 3um and 10um particles and above), while HEPA has 99.97% filtration. MERV9, MERV10, MERV11, MERV12, and MERV13 march closer and closer to efficacy against 0.3um particles.

That's the thing: its a sliding scale, from 0%, to 20%, to 30%, to 50%, to 70%, to 99.97% (HEPPA). Cotton itself has been tested to be near the 60% efficacy region for the size of particle that most likely contains the virus. Its not perfect, and its not nothing, its just... an imperfect layer of protection. Better than nothing, but obviously worse than a real solution like vaccination (or N95 masks: which are 95% effective. Yes, less than HEPA filters).

------------------

Anyway, here's a quick experiment if you don't believe me. Oxygen / Nitrogen / Carbon Dioxide is 0.00033um in size. Its all over your lungs. Now make a whistle-shape with your mouth and blow a focused stream of air. Feel how far it goes: for me, I can feel maybe a 75% of my full arm's reach (maybe a bit over 15 inches or so). Now, put on a mask, and see how far you can blow the same air with the same mouth position.

You can't get as far, can you? Even though Carbon Dioxide is 0.00033um in size, the mask is still effective at stopping the stream. CO2 / Oxygen / Nitrogen are all much much smaller than virus particles.

I have been using a 99.97% HEPA in my bedroom for about a decade now. That's where I spend the most of my time in this short life, so I figured I would do better air, but what gave me the idea to do it a decade ago was my Uncle when he had bone cancer, the Doctor told him he needed a HEPA air purifier in all rooms of his house at all times, and so I started researching it then.

It's amazing how dirty it gets and how quickly.

I'm honestly surprised more humans don't die/get sick from the terrible air quality, what we have done to mother Earth is mind blowing... but since we can't see it... out of sight... out of mind...

I have been using a 99.97% HEPA in my bedroom for about a decade now. That's where I spend the most of my time in this short life, so I figured I would do better air, but what gave me the idea to do it a decade ago was my Uncle when he had bone cancer, the Doctor told him he needed a HEPA air purifier in all rooms of his house at all times, and so I started researching it then.

MERV13 seems to be the winner in the DIY filter market. HEPA is good with centrifugal fans (high pressure / low air flow). But MERV13 offers higher air flow on typical box-fans. Its better to pass 2x the air at 60% efficacy than to pass 1/2 the air at 99.97% efficacy.

Cleaning 300 CFM air at 60% efficacy is 180 CFM of clean air. However, 150 CFM air at 99.97% efficacy is only 149.99 CFM of clean air. So its not an easy problem: a lower end filter that lets "more air through" could very well beat a higher-end filter (because of how difficult it is to breath through HEPA).

Centrifugal fans (what is in a commercial air purifier) has the strength to push through a HEPA though. So the whole MERV13 thing is mostly a DIY issue.

1621355122237.png

That there be an axial box fan: high air flow, but low pressure. So a higher-end filter (like HEPA) will choke it up.

-----

EDIT: Box fan is $20, and MERV13 filters are much cheaper than HEPA filters. So a "device" like what is pictured there (4x MERV13 filters + Box Fan) is easily under $70, while commercial air purifiers are much more expensive. Twitter suggests a design like that gives ~300+ CFM (the axial fan normally has 1500 to 2000 CFM, but even a box design like that cuts down the axial fan's airflow significantly).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.