• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

May have found what was causing Doom to freeze.

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
First let me say I'd have posted this in the official Doom thread, but there appears to be no such thread. Granted I was one of the ones skeptical about the game when the first trailers came out, worrying it would too brightly lit and arcade, so I take part of the blame there.

If anything though, I've found this game is one of the best looking, most optimized of the year, and I dare say the gameplay is quite addictive too. So naturally I was upset when it would randomly freeze crash every now and then. It's particularly hard to take when your playing on what is the closest equivalent of New Game +, using Mission Select, because it does not save progress.

Anyways, after having read Bethesda's guide on crash prevention some time ago, I thought I'd removed all the launch options, which is one of their recommendations. Last night though I discovered I'd left two commands in the cfg file for mouse smoothing and framerate cap. I deleted those commands, fired up the game, and immediately the game seemed to run smoother. I should mention as well that I also updated my GPU driver to 16.11.3 from 16.10.3.

I was playing the final level, Argent D'Nur. It's final battle area just before the final boss fight is always the most crash prone for me. I got no hints of lag or hitching through the whole level, and not one freeze. Even the final boss fight seemed to run a bit smoother, which was part of what made beating it feel easy this time.

Now I can't say for sure if the freeze crashing is completely gone, having only tested these changes on one level, but I'm starting a new play through from scratch to verify that before beginning a Nightmare run. I'll report back when it's done. I have no excuse not to play this game now though. I used to avoid playing it for dread of the feeling of anguish that comes when you have to play a whole level over on Mission Select due to a crash.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Well, sadly it still crashes. Just once so far, but clearly it's yet to be solved.

I guess I'll just have to avoid ever playing on Mission Select again.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I have not experienced a single crash in this title, and I did pay a fair bit of multiplayer as well as the single player side of this. That said, however, I did play on 6700K and dual 980's.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei