• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Media Streaming

Jasmeleg

I have a Media server at home that I store my movie collection and stuff on. The problem I find is that when I am here,school, there is no good way for me to watch the stuff on there. I mean I have it setup to FTP and can download the stuff but it doesn't really work all the well when you want have to download a 4gb file and then watch it. I also have used VPNs and those are still crap for downloading. My question is what is the best way to go about doing this? I have tried to setup VLC to stream but that never works. Any seggestions? I know there has to be a way to do it. Even if I have to have it buffer for a while before thats fine it is better than having to download the stuff then watch it. Most of the stuff I want to watch is in AVI format and only like 800mb but it still takes forever to download.

VLC does work actually, I got it to work using mms anyway. It does have some half working web interface to control it remotely as well. Quality obviously has to be lowered.

Why would you want to watch a DVD at school though? And if you have some fancy reason, why not store a few on your laptop? For music streaming I can imagine the use. I just do that via Windows file sharing though. (VPN to home and then access the network storage)

Jasmeleg

I don't want to watch a whole DVD just like say a video I have on there. I store most of my big movie files on there so I don't have to taking up tons of space on my desktop here. I just wanted to know a good way to access them fairly quickly to watch them.

Could you give me more details on how the VLC works? I have tried it but I don't know if I didn't have it set up right or it was a firewall blocking it or I was missing something so I just was wondering how to did it.

System Name Money Guilt / immortal X58
Processor 5600X / X5660
Motherboard MSI B550 GAMING PLUS / MSI-x58-PLAT
Cooling Cooler Master - Hyper 212 / Monsoon 3 Dual 120 fans
Memory OLOy WarHawk 2x8 / 2x4 gig Gskill 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060 Ti FTW3 / R9 290 Powercolor PCS+
Storage Crucial P5 1TB / 128gig Samsung D830 2x1 Terabyte Seagates Raid0
Display(s) VIOTEK 32-In 2560x1440 Curved 144Hz / Acer 22in 1920x1080 120Hertz
Case NZXT - H510 Compact / Thermaltake V9 Black Edition
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Audigy FX
Power Supply CORSAIR - RM Series 750W / Ocz 700 Modular
Mouse G403 / basic
Keyboard G15 / basic
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/spy/18067733, http://www.3dmark.com/fs/24836348 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11606
I like to use a program called orb.I installed it on my home pc and access it from anywhere through a web page.

Jasmeleg

I like to use a program called orb.I installed it on my home pc and access it from anywhere through a web page.
I downloaded that but it uses way too many resources for my PC to handle.