• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Memory On Card Irrelevant To BIOS?

Akumajo

Why is memory on video card always specified with BIOS? Are video card BIOS customized for specific brand of memory? Doesn't seem that way to me. I'm using a "Hynix memory BIOS" on my Radeon 9800 Pro which has Samsung memory and it seems to run fine.

S

Space1980

Memory on X800 pro important for Modding?

Hi!

This is also very interesting to me.
I owned a Sapphire X800 pro NON-VIVO and sold it @ ebay the last days, because I read here that you can only mod a VIVO Card.
So yesterday I ordered a CLUB3D X800 pro VIVO Card. I want to flash it to a XT P.E.

So my question is the same as AKUMAJOs, is it important what kind of memory is on the card? 1,6ns or 2,0ns?) --> GC16 or GC20 ?!
Or doesn't that matter? BTW: I hope it doesn't matter.. *gg* :eek:

S

Space1980

Is it impossible to get the latest CLUB 3D X800 pro VIVO with 2,0ns memory?
I hope so .. ;)

Akumajo

Unless you're asking whether BIOS and memory compatibility exists. I don't believe it does, I think they're separate. Example: Any Radeon 9800 Pro BIOS can be used properly on any Radeon 9800 Pro, regardless of it's memory brand and speed. Exceptions would be memory size (128MB, 256MB, etc) and GPU core (R350, R360, etc).

S

Space1980

okay... thanks Akumajo!
And to your question: I did some browsing for an answer of your question in german 3d forums.. so the answer is:
There is no need for other bios versions, because the manufacturer is another one.. The bios versions available are called samsung etc., because they were ripped of grapic cards with samsung chipset.. but this is more or less fortune.. So you can use the bios with samsung chipset e.g. on any card of THAT SERIES, with any manufacturer of memory chipset.

Akumajo

Not sure what you're trying to say, but I think you're agreeing with me...