• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Microsoft DirectX 12 Ultimate: Why it Helps Gamers Pick Future Proof Graphics Cards

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
No not really. The 1080 for example was EOL'd/replaced by 1070ti but the cards are still not obsolete and if they are, they both will be.

What means buy new, really?! Its just your own perspective and or upgrade itch saying that. The new cards on offer are just teasing you to get itchy. The rest is in your head.

It comes down to timing your gpu purchases right, in the end, and a big part of that is not riding the tech hype but lagging behind it for a liittld while and then make an informed choice. Its been proven time and time again... no need to rush, tech adoption is slow and bumpy and its all about the content anyway. Usually its the content that triggers a gpu upgrade and then you just look at whats on offer.
That's not the same thing at all , the 1080 got Eol because the super made it pointless.

In this thread it's implied all cards out besides Rtx 2£££ series cards are obsolete Now because of a lack of features.

On the topic, is ultimate the only game in town, no are all the features of both consoles included, No.

Does an Rtx 2£££ series card have feature parity with both consoles, No.

So the implications are all cards could lack features required to get the best of all games in two years to three.

D

Deleted member 67555

In this thread it's implied all cards out besides Rtx 2£££ series cards are obsolete Now because of a lack of features.
They are...going forward all cards except the RTX 2000's will lack features but that doesn't imply they are obsolete in usage as they are only obsolete from lack of newer features.

On the topic, is ultimate the only game in town, no are all the features of both consoles included, No.
ok

right

So the implications are all cards could lack features required to get the best of all games in two years to three.
yup

Do you remember when Vista launched?
Lots of hardware failed to work right and while companies scrambled to fix drivers Microsoft started the "Certified for Vista" program....it was brief but effective.
It was such a mess that even once fixed they had to rename to "7" to get people to use it over Xp.
IMO this DX12 Ultimate is the way to avoid that happening again...and because of consoles this is going to happen sooner than 2-3 years...as of today 2 out of the 3 games I play has RTX as a feature...I can still use my 1070ti...it's not obsolete in that way...I just lack features....however I can still use RTX albeit with 23fps lows and 93fps highs with extreme leaps between frequently while locked @1080p

System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
I don't see the point. In a few years, only "Ultimate" GPUs will be available as the old architectures are pushed out of the market. There's no reason for Microsoft to create this branding.

Vulkan must be the reason, it has slipped onto some major games with success. Microsoft has been too relaxed and now probably started to worry, so its PR time again.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
That's not the same thing at all , the 1080 got Eol because the super made it pointless.

You're right its not the same thing. EOL is something else as obsolete. That was the point :)

I don't think Turing cards are going to go obsolete because they lack feature parity with consoles. They can do RT and run DXR. The capabilities of these GPUs can be updated. We've seen it before in terms of DX feature level support. It wouldn't be good for Nvidia if even their expensive upper end of Turing would turn into paperweights 2 years post release. And since all of those 2xxx GPUs are essentially the same thing, if they can do it for one, they can do it for all of them. Heck the article even states as much. Now we know why Nvidia was early on their DXR push. MS played both sides into this story, ie its a collaborative effort. The timing is too convenient.

Also, 'the best of games' we both know this is going to be a slow crawl. Look at DX12 market penetration, its so low its silly, but expected. Its only a few years back since we saw the last notable DX9 (!!!) releases. DX11 is now in full force. DX12 is early adopting. Most games are still developed for DX11. The first few years of console games, apart from a handful of exclusives perhaps, will not bring anything that really pushes you to DX12 Ultimate or you miss out. Maybe there is one. Two. Who cares. People worry too much about this sort of thing. The market rules this development, and devs won't build features when the market doesn't buy into them. Its a chicken egg thing and it will follow the natural turnaround/upgrade cycle for GPUs.

Besides, what is wrong with revisiting a game one GPU upgrade later to check out the things you might have missed?

Apart from all this. RDNA2 GPUs for PC will definitely have an edge in this sense, until Nvidia gets Ampere out the door. If AMD can pre empt that they can make a comeback.

Last edited:
System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Outside of the poor grammar here... didnt amd gloat too?

How can it be gloating if it's in response to previous "gloating"?

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Whyduhek?

Gloating is gloating... it doesn't need a 'previous response' to be considered as such.

Doesn't the gloating party have to gloat another party that is perceived to be at a lower standing or lacking, it's kind of in the definition.

Isn't it silly if AMD was trying to lord DX12U support over Nvidia, something Nvidia announced support for much earlier?

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Doesn't the gloating party have to gloat another party that is perceived to be at a lower standing or lacking, it's kind of in the definition.

Isn't it silly if AMD was trying to lord DX12U support over Nvidia, something Nvidia announced support for much earlier?

I suppose that only depends on what article you've read first :p

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)

Lol, gloating is gloating my dude. It doesnt need to be in response to what the competition says...

Yeah, "kind of" the definition is right... not "the" definition. Here is the definition:
dwelling on one's own success or another's misfortune with smugness or malignant pleasure

One's success...."OR"....another's misfortune. Either or, both are not required. I see them both as advertising/marketing (dwelling on their success) about a feature they both have. They are both gloating about it!

Last edited:

R82

I think AMD screw us big time they knew about DX12 ultimate technology at 2018 and decided to leave RDNA out so we will have to upgrade after 2 years...
NVIDIA released Turing cards in 2018 (RTX 2000) and it will support DX12 ultimate...
This is so sad I own rx 5700 for 6 months and my next card will probably be NVIDIA...
I really thought and belived that AMD cares about their costumers, I mean to develop XBOX/PS5 and to put in that gpu support but leave all pc out? that is vey low... :mad:

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I think AMD screw us big time they knew about DX12 ultimate technology at 2018 and decided to leave RDNA out so we will have to upgrade after 2 years...
NVIDIA released Turing cards in 2018 (RTX 2000) and it will support DX12 ultimate...
This is so sad I own rx 5700 for 6 months and my next card will probably be NVIDIA...
I really thought and belived that AMD cares about their costumers, I mean to develop XBOX/PS5 and to put in that gpu support but leave all pc out? that is vey low... :mad:
Yeah for all the. DX ulty games, nope.
Maybe next year when at least three games are out, undue dramma three years and a GPU is done anyway for AAA.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
That's a joke or?

A consumer product which perofrmance degrades over short time? Don't know if that is leagal in the us

Uh, every cellphone sold does that (throttles), so yeah it is.