• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Patents Resource-Based Ray Tracing, Promises Less Strain on GPU VRAM

Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk x570
Cooling Thermalright
Memory 32 gb 3200mhz E die
Video Card(s) 3080
Storage 2tb nvme
Display(s) 165hz 1440p
Case Fractal Define R5
Power Supply Toughpower 850 platium
Mouse HyperX Hyperfire Pulse
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Now compare to GamePass: you're diving headfirst into the black box of manipulative practices to keep you subbed to a service. Of course it employs every trick in the filthy book of dark patterns and commerce to keep you attached.

Sorry for the thread derail, but Adobe is 10x worse. Just want to vent about them. Carry on.

To keep my post on topic, 75% of the time I was subbed to gamepass, I used my MS reward points. That was about 2 years ago. They've since made it much harder to get enough points to get Gamepass for free and I have unsubbed.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
This also applies to games purchased in MS store, not only gamepass.

If they would be so focused on sharing they would have released this as an open standard.
They're sharing on Windows, let's keep that in mind :)
You won't catch me saying MS is all for sharing... unless it relates to Azure :p

Rather MS is 'assuming control', the first step was DX12 Ultimate (come, come, we have RT!). Nvidia is cornered here: Windows is their primary gateway to selling discrete gaming GPUs. The next step is forcing universal support on their OS. Net result? Windows just got more relevant, Nvidia starts to lose its unique market position, and with that, RT gets more mainstream, solving the chicken/egg problem.

System Name Gungnir
Processor Ryzen 5 7600X @1.25v
Motherboard ASUS TUF B650M-PLUS WIFI
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assasin 120 SE Black
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 CL36 5600MHz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 6800XT Merc 319 @1.1v @2600MHz clock @2140MHz vram freq. (surprisingly stable)
Storage 1TB WD SN770 | 2TB WD Blue SATA III SSD
Display(s) 1440p 165Hz VA
Case Lian Li Lancool 215
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80Ohm
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless
Keyboard Keychron V6
VR HMD The bane of my existence (Oculus Quest 2)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 20
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk x570
Cooling Thermalright
Memory 32 gb 3200mhz E die
Video Card(s) 3080
Storage 2tb nvme
Display(s) 165hz 1440p
Case Fractal Define R5
Power Supply Toughpower 850 platium
Mouse HyperX Hyperfire Pulse
Keyboard EVGA Z15
I wonder if this means that their RT API will finally be on par with Sony's RT API.

There's a DF video comparing the 6700 to the PS5 (as they are roughly the same gpu), and the RT performance difference is staggering.
VulkanRT also seems to perform better than DirectX, though it seems to use more vram. (Source: https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/ray-tracing-performance-in-optix-vs-vulkan-dxr/260558)
Doesn't that have more to do with the higher clock speeds of PS5?

From what I read, the plan isn't just to lower the impact on the VRAM, but on every type of memory used for rendering. The patent wording seems to imply that Ram and NAND are already involved in the current Ray tracing implementation, and this new tech is going to reduce the memory strain as a whole
FMX.png

It certainly includes nand memory in the model. The explanation is very broad and repetitive, it doesn't sound like something that will be applied to PC games, it mentions that ASICS could be integrated into the system. it sounds more like something that could be integrated into consoles with specialized hardware.

System Name Gungnir
Processor Ryzen 5 7600X @1.25v
Motherboard ASUS TUF B650M-PLUS WIFI
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assasin 120 SE Black
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 CL36 5600MHz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 6800XT Merc 319 @1.1v @2600MHz clock @2140MHz vram freq. (surprisingly stable)
Storage 1TB WD SN770 | 2TB WD Blue SATA III SSD
Display(s) 1440p 165Hz VA
Case Lian Li Lancool 215
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80Ohm
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless
Keyboard Keychron V6
VR HMD The bane of my existence (Oculus Quest 2)
Doesn't that have more to do with the higher clock speeds of PS5?
I don't know, they performed roughly on par in most other scenarios, trading blows in the odd case (like Hitman).
But the RT Difference was big enough that the 6700 positioned itself alongside the 4060, even beating it a bit.

This also applies to games purchased in MS store, not only gamepass.

If they would be so focused on sharing they would have released this as an open standard.
Just think of game pass/MS store as playing on a console. It's the same ecosystem as the Xbox: Monster Hunter rise on Steam only connect you to steam players, on Game Pass you'll only be able play with Xbox players.

MS prob isn't too keen on people trying out a game on Game Pass, then potentially buying it for a better price elsewhere once the game isn't part of the rotation. You started in the store; you stay in the store.

View attachment 340597

It certainly includes nand memory in the model. The explanation is very broad and repetitive, it doesn't sound like something that will be applied to PC games, it mentions that ASICS could be integrated into the system. it sounds more like something that could be integrated into consoles with specialized hardware.
Yhea, it seems that this is going to be a broad implementation of the tech, beyond the realm of gaming. Maxon Redshift for example use DXR for one of their rendering modes, that new technology might also be used there. I still find it funny that they bothered to mention tape and optical memory :D