• We've upgraded our forums. Please post any issues/requests in this thread.

Microsoft Selects Dolby to Create Immersive Experiences on Windows 8 Tablets and PCs

Dolby Laboratories, Inc. today announced that Microsoft has selected Dolby Digital Plus to create the most realistic and immersive audio experiences for Windows 8 on tablets and PCs. The addition of Dolby Digital Plus enables the playback of Dolby-encoded content across a growing number of devices. Today's announcement underscores the essential role that Dolby Digital Plus plays in delivering high-quality sound for online entertainment services and personal media applications.

Show full news post

I guess MS doesn't want to be different than the other 600 million devices out there by licensing Dolby for its Windows 8. It did so with Windows 7 and earlier version I guess.
But as I see it now, MS should try to keep the price of the new operation system down to minimum.
If tablet prices are going to be the same as today when Windows 8 is launched, one of the two will happen:
1. Windows tablet prices will be higher than the rest.
2. Tablet prices will be competitive and the profit margin will be low or on loss.

On a side note, anyone has an idea how much does Windows 7 cost today to system builders? i.e. Dell, Hp, etc.

This is really nothing interesting, because all it means is that now windows will have dolby decoder built in. Most of us install codec packs first thing after system install anyway and they always have dolby decoder in them. For us this will only make windows cost more to produce for no added benefit.

Mussels

Moderprator
Staff member
System Name Daddy Long Legs
Processor Ryzen R7 1700, 3.9GHz 1.375v
Motherboard MSI X370 Gaming PRO carbon
Cooling Fractal Celsius S24 (Silent fans, meh pump)
Memory 16GB 2133 generic @ 2800
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X (BIOS modded to Gaming Z - faster and solved black screen bugs!)
Storage 1TB Intel SSD Pro 6000p (60TB USB3 storage)
Display(s) Samsung 4K 40" HDTV (UA40KU6000WXXY) / 27" Qnix 2K 110Hz
Case Fractal Design R5. So much room, so quiet...
Audio Device(s) Pioneer VSX-519V + Yamaha YHT-270 / sennheiser HD595/518 + bob marley zion's
Power Supply Corsair HX 750i (Platinum, fan off til 300W)
Mouse Logitech G403 + KKmoon desk-sized mousepad
Keyboard Corsair K65 Rapidfire
Software Windows 10 pro x64 (all systems)
Benchmark Scores Laptops: i7-4510U + 840M 2GB (touchscreen) 275GB SSD + 16GB i7-2630QM + GT 540M + 8GB
this will just be the dolby software effects to make audio sound better on crap speakers, like many onboard solutions come with these days.

this also seems to add real time dolby ENcoding (not decoding), much like most onboard solutions, which helps out people playing analogue sources (EG, games) to digital decoders (SPDIF sound systems)