• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Working On Not One, But Two New Xbox Product Lines

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
but then they'd have to make everything x64 on the consoles to use it, and they probably dont think its worth it.
It's easier to make developers compile for 64-bit on consoles than it is on personal computers. I think all developers would be thrilled if they got the news that the hardware handles 64-bit addressing because they waste weeks trying to suck every kilobyte out of console RAM as is. If they didn't have to worry about it like those that develop for Mac, *nix, and Windows, it's a huge burden off their chest.

In short, the "next gen" consoles are going to be crippled out of the starting gate which makes PCs all the more appealing to develop for. In 5 years time, I wouldn't be surprised if most games are running on 64-bit binaries and consoles will have to make the switch to 64-bit just to stay competitive. It's going to happen sooner or later just as it did with 16-bit to 32-bit.

Oh and that argument about 64bit, Xenon as far as it's known to people is 64bit, though games seem to be 32bit since all ports are 32bit [:confused:]
When they run around saying a console is 64-bit, it usually means the FPU(s) can handle 64-bit. It can also mean the register size. It doesn't have anything to do with the processor's ability to access RAM. For example, most CPUs found in computers would be considered 128-bit because they can handle quad-precesion floats.

Just because the processor supports it doesn't necessarily mean any of the developers use it.

Once again about memory size, take into calculations the fact that console manufacturers always go for CRAZY bandwidth memory, current PC DDR3 1333Mhz in dual channel just matches X0's bandwidth across almost whole system (bus connecting gpu, mem, cpu is ~22GB/s), it must be a really nice thing when developing.
That's because the GPU and CPU are using that same pool of RAM--GPU being the #1 customer and for fair comparison, you got to look at GDDR5:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDDR5

Hynix Semiconductor introduced the industry's first 1 Gib GDDR5 memory. It supports a bandwidth of 20 GB/s on a 32-bit bus, which enables memory configurations of 1 GiB at 160 GB/s with only 8 circuits on a 256-bit bus.
They cut corners to save costs everywhere possible and it makes life hell for developers trying to push the envelope.

Last edited:

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
So do you. Games can be shipped in multiple discs, and consoles can cache games on to local storage to overcome disc changes.

Like I said, discs or physical media in general won't be the future, but digital downloads coupled with moderately spacious local storage. For those few games that will ship in physical media, they can ship in multiple discs.

yep, digital downloads is clearly the way of the future. below is a list of most of the major contenders. look at the number of distribution sources as well as who has launched them. the models are constantly being refined as well as acquired by others. those are the current owners as well as the year launched

-Steam(Valve, 2002)
-Direct2Drive(GameFly, 2004)
-Gamersgate(2006)
-Origin(EA, 2007)
-Impulse(GameStop, 2008)

physical media is slowly becoming obsolete...

Last edited:
System Name PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX, 3 x NZXT FN 140mm, 1x NZXT FV V2 120mm
Memory 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 290 DCII-OC 4GB
Storage corsair mp600 1TB
Display(s) LG 27MB85Z 27" 1440p
Case NZXT Source 340
Power Supply Thermaltake 675w
Mouse Logitech G500S
Keyboard Logitech G510S
Software Windows 8.1 64 bit
physical media is slowly becoming obsolete...

They key word there is Slowly

i don't think they're going to go obsolete until at least 2020, by the time enough people have fast enough broadband to make downloaded games a primary option for the consoles the games will have gotten bigger anyway and you'll need faster internet

look at it this way, you can already buy 50GB Blu-ray disks on the market at the moment

400GB Blu-rays have already been proven possible to do with just a firmware update to existing Blu-rays drives needed to be done in order to play them, they're set for release before 2013

Think about how long it would take to transfer that amount of storage space over the internet.

Overall, Digital Distribution will likely be the same as it is on current consoles, yes, you can buy it online, but i don't think it's even going to be close to disks in terms of market share

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
I remember what 512 MBs of ram was compared to what you could get for a reasonable price on a pc at the time the 360 came out. This seems worse. You can get $32 gbs of ram for $120 bucks right now, and it's only going to be worse when this thing comes out. And it isn't just enthusiasts buying shit in excess. PC makers love to throw in ass loads of ram as a selling point, it will be wide spread. 4 GBs would be vastly more appropriate.

System Name N/A
Processor i7-4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97-A
Cooling Thermalright True Power 140
Memory 2 x 8GB GeIL Potenza 2400Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 Gaming
Storage 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) 24" Samsung 1080p LED Monitor
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Corsair TX650W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown MX)
Software Windows 8.1
I just ordered a PS3 the other day :(
These best not come out 'til like 2015

Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Storage Samsung/Western Digital/ADATA
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
So Blu-ray doesn't even feature in the list of things the next Xbox needs. Because, you can distribute in multiple DVD9s for people to cache on the consoles and play without interruptions, or...

One DVD for single player, second one for multiplayer. L.A. Noire 3 DVDs. If you call this "without interruptions" so be it.

...consumers have the bandwidth for digital downloads. http://i56.tinypic.com/2e1sp3m.gif

According to my bandwidth? 1Kurgan1 said that not everyone have fast internet.

Yes, you're the one making song and dance about Blu-ray as a game distribution medium, when BD-R cost 6 times a DVD9 to publishers. Game publishers would rather ship their game in 2 DVD9s than 1 BD-R.

lalala. All PS3 games ships in Blu-ray and costs the same price as Xbox360. "Mass Effect 3 N7 Collector’s Edition Mass Effect 3 N7 Collector’s Edition". I think even exclusives cost the same, though it's hard to find new AA/AAA PS3 exclusives.

Nah, this is unbelievable logic:

...that you bring movie distribution to a discussion about game distribution.

Oh, and :nutkick:

Stop acting like a goat. I had quoted to things:
1) game distribution,
2) console gamers are casuals.

You only know Blu-ray for games. So, I explained where I'm using Blu-ray.

Captain.Abrecan

System Name MHI 0000001
Processor Intel Pentium D 950 Presler
Motherboard Asus P5N-32 SLI
Cooling Stock Air
Memory 4x Corsair ValueRAM DDR2 667 1GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 9800 GTX
Storage 4x Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM
Display(s) HP 17" CRT 1600x1200
Case Thermaltake Armor Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 850
Software Microsoft Windows XP Professional
I think console ram is special, and super fast anyways. Whole gigs of data fly in one end of the stick and out the other to render each second, so the console can get away with LESS ram as long as it is FASTER. The quality push from the new machine will be awesome no matter what.