• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft's Next-Gen Xbox for 2028 to Combine AMD Zen 6 and RDNA5 with a Powerful NPU and Cloud Integration

Apple, Google, Tencent, Sony(Nintendo?) have the biggest share of the "gaming" pie worldwide.

Sony is selling hardware and Microsoft isn't.
And that's the point ~ MS has arguably more IP now to make money.

It's easy to miss whatever you mean because you don't even know and you are probably change it anyway in your next post. There is no way to prove that Microsoft is making money with Xbox because they simply don't share the numbers.
Dude, hush up. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about, OR what I was responding to when you quoted me.

Dude, hush up. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about, OR what I was responding to when you quoted me.
Says the guy always talking about something he doesn't know about or understand with the consequent endless battles with whoever exposed him.

Says the guy always talking about something he doesn't know about or understand with the consequent endless battles with whoever exposed him.
I'm not the one who mis-quoted someone and is trying to double-down to cover-up their incompetence. That would be you.

You said...
Xbox is single-handedly the worst managed division at Microsoft by a long shot.
...this. I responded with...

While I agree with you, it is making them money..
...this. Then you said...

No, they don't.

See? The same proof you provided.
...this?!? WTF? First off, yes, XBox is making microsoft money. Second, I offered no "proof", it was just a declarative statement, one that is obvious.

Context is important. You missed it. Stop reacting with your ego & pride. You're embarrassing yourself.

...this? WTF? First off, yes, XBox is making microsoft money. Second, I offered no "proof", it was just a declarative statement, one that is obvious.
Again, you can't prove that Microsoft makes money out of Xbox. No one can and even Microsoft itself would have a hard time proving it with all the divisions it's relying on. Moving on with a "declarative statement" feint is one of your usual moves.

You're embarrassing yourself.
Seeing how you repeatedly didn't see it for yourself I'd say I'm on the safe side here.

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives-Crucial P5 500GB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares
Again, you can't prove that Microsoft makes money out of Xbox. No one can and even Microsoft itself would have a hard time proving it with all the divisions it's relying on. Moving on with a "declarative statement" feint is one of your usual moves.

Seeing how you repeatedly didn't see it for yourself I'd say I'm on the safe side here.

Errr
Screenshot 2023-12-19 151619.png

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Microsoft actually loses money with every single unit sold. Never in its whole history they made a dime out of Xbox hardware and they acknowledged this several times.
$4 billion does not speak to losses. Microsoft makes more money than you realize or appreciate. The reason they chose AMD is the lowest cost solution. We also do not know what MS is paying for the hardware. I would expect that with time unit costs would actually decrease in terms of hardware costs. You seem to think that Nvidia and AMD operate the same way. Where do you think they got the money to pay for all of those Game studios?

$4 billion does not speak to losses. Microsoft makes more money than you realize or appreciate. The reason they chose AMD is the lowest cost solution. We also do not know what MS is paying for the hardware. I would expect that with time unit costs would actually decrease in terms of hardware costs. You seem to think that Nvidia and AMD operate the same way. Where do you think they got the money to pay for all of those Game studios?

In response to a question from Epic lawyer Wes Earnhardt asking "how much margin" Microsoft earns on the sale of Xbox consoles, Wright said: "We don't. We sell the consoles at a loss". Asked if Microsoft has ever earned a profit on the sale of an Xbox console, Wright replied: "no" (via Protocol).

Xbox Loses As Much As $200 On Every Xbox It Sells, Phil Spencer Says

Maybe they bought all those studios with a bit of the big fat pile of cash they are sitting on and have trouble spending. Surely not with what Xbox makes, that's for sure.

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Software Windows 10 Pro
I guess they are dumb then and should stop selling them all together.

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Keyboard Logitech G510

Maybe they bought all those studios with a bit of the big fat pile of cash they are sitting on and have trouble spending. Surely not with what Xbox makes, that's for sure.

So that post is from 2022. It is now 2023. That first article is also from 2021. We are days away from 2024 so information that is 1 to 2 years old may no longer be relevant. As I said before MS is focused on Gaming and is not a Company that loses money.

More evidence that you have a problem with context. They're selling the console itself at a loss, true. However, they are making up that loss and then some with SOFTWARE sales. This business tactic is NOT new. Nintendo does it(and has been for decades), Sega did it, NEC did it, Sony does it(also has been for decades) and so on. You sell the hardware at a loss to make profit from the software sales.

The point being that microsoft is making money from the XBox platform as a whole, even if it's not making money on the hardware itself. TAA DAA!!

You were saying what now?

Last edited:
System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Case Corsair 7000D
Software Windows 10 Pro
If they make on the software, i guess they slowly claw back the money on the console, so do they actually make a loss at all. It's a whole different ball game when the numbers are in billions of $

So that post is from 2022. It is now 2023. That first article is also from 2021. We are days away from 2024 so information that is 1 to 2 years old may no longer be relevant. As I said before MS is focused on Gaming and is not a Company that loses money.
Microsoft is a company that has failed plenty of times. Nokia and Windows Phone come to mind. They were a meeting away from closing down Xbox and uncle Phil likes to brag about being there. What does make you think that after being on the verge of closing Xbox in the ONE generation whey won't become a 3rd party after selling worse with the Series generation?

They NEED a platform to sell their games with no store tax and reap the 30% cut from 3rd party publishers. They are failing badly in the console space and they can't even dream about doing anything about Steam on PC. Now they are trying to make a store for Android in another uphill battle.

More evidence that you have a problem with context. They're selling the console itself at a loss, true. However, they are making up that loss and then some with SOFTWARE sales. This business tactic is NOT new. Nintendo does it, Sega did it, NEC did it, Sony does it and so on. You sell the hardware at a loss to make profit from the software sales.

The point being that microsoft is making money from the XBox platform as a whole, even if it's not making money on the hardware itself. TAA DAA!!
Nobody knows if they are making anything back from Xbox. You keep insisting about this and you are yet to provide any proof. The only thing we know is that PS5 is outselling the Series at a 3.5:1 (>5:1 in Europe) rate and that that the division earnings are flat or up by single digits every quarter. In fact it's selling even worse than the Xbox ONE.

Nobody knows if they are making anything back from Xbox.
THEY do. And such has been in every shareholder report since the XBox was created. XBox is a HUGE cash cow for microsoft. And that fact is in the financial reports that are PUBLICLY available for the past 22years.

THEY do. And such has been in every shareholder report since the XBox was created. XBox is a HUGE cash cow for microsoft. And that fact is in the financial reports that are PUBLICLY available for the past 22years.
Gotta laugh at someone who mistakes revenue for profit. Microsoft has never shared profits for any of its divisions, Xbox included.

Keep going. DIg deeper.

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Keyboard Logitech G510
Microsoft is a company that has failed plenty of times. Nokia and Windows Phone come to mind. They were a meeting away from closing down Xbox and uncle Phil likes to brag about being there. What does make you think that after being on the verge of closing Xbox in the ONE generation whey won't become a 3rd party after selling worse with the Series generation?

They NEED a platform to sell their games with no store tax and reap the 30% cut from 3rd party publishers. They are failing badly in the console space and they can't even dream about doing anything about Steam on PC. Now they are trying to make a store for Android in another uphill battle.
You are not looking at this right. Yes MS has had failures. There is no doubt that you are not appreciating what is happening in the space. Gaming is exploding. There are some killer sequels coming out and there are even new genres like playing card video Games. The Xbox is strictly for people to get on the platform. Gamepass is the real goal. Oh wait does not Xbox support Gamepass. So that is a way to get a complete system. If they were so bad there would not be variants.

Gotta laugh at someone who mistakes revenue for profit. Microsoft has never shared profits for any of its divisions, Xbox included.

Keep going. DIg deeper.
Are you on drugs? Or are you just that ignorant? You need look up the filing requirements for SEC statements.

You're being stupidly pedantic. I got a free year of office 365 for my last laptop purchase alongside a month's free worth of Game pass ~ so tell me would you file the office trial under Windows or Enterprise(office) division's marketing expenses? Same for Game pass ~ Xbox or Windows :rolleyes:

After a certain level it's just accountants juggling numbers!

You are not looking at this right. Yes MS has had failures. There is no doubt that you are not appreciating what is happening in the space. Gaming is exploding. There are some killer sequels coming out and there are even new genres like playing card video Games. The Xbox is strictly for people to get on the platform. Gamepass is the real goal. Oh wait does not Xbox support Gamepass. So that is a way to get a complete system. If they were so bad there would not be variants.
Game Pass? Do you mean that service that we have not known any figures for two years because how embarrassing they are for Microsoft? That service making the software sales dwindle and making the division's revenue go flat or grow in single digits quarter after quarter?

Are you on drugs? Or are you just that ignorant?
Link me any earnings call with Xbox profits. I'll be waiting... Forever since they only put the revenue for the division.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
Game Pass? Do you mean that service that we have not known any figures for two years because how embarrassing they are for Microsoft? That service making the software sales dwindle and making the division's revenue go flat or grow in single digits quarter after quarter?

Link me any earnings call with Xbox profits. I'll be waiting... Forever since they only put the revenue for the division.
1703007156061.jpeg

Well shit, Xbox is somehow making more operating profits than Playstation. I guess the people working there are not as stupid as forum dwellers think.

I'm not your lackey. Go do it yourself.
Now I understand why everyone refuses to engage with you.

View attachment 326048
Well shit, Xbox is somehow making more operating profits than Playstation. I guess the people working there are not as stupid as forum dwellers think.
Do you understand that's accountability margin and can't be compared to the others? That graph was gone from Tweak Town because of how inaccurate it is. The article:

According to our findings, Xbox gaming had a 12% accountability margin (AM) for 9 month period in FY22. However, in the aforementioned testimony, Spencer says that "the Xbox business today runs at a single-digit profit margin."

Comparing this number with the other Big 3 players isn't exactly straightforward. The accountability methods may be different and we're not entirely sure how Microsoft calculates its accountability margin, but it appears to be some sort of value target that the Xbox games division is trying to deliver on a specific profit basis.