• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Minisforum EliteMini UM780 XTX (AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS)

The New England region of the United States
System Name Daily Driver(gaming, browsing)
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB(2x16GB) Patriot Viper DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Boot/OS)|Hynix Platinum P41 2TB (Games)|Kingston KC3000 2TB (Misc)
Display(s) Gigabyte G27F
Case Corsair Graphite 600T w/mesh side
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 2.1 | cheapo gaming headset when mic is needed
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Redragon M808-KS Storm Pro (Great Value)
Keyboard Redragon K512 Shiva replaced a Corsair K70 Lux - Blue on Black
VR HMD Nope
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Nope
@phxrider, nice job, and thanks for all the pics of the process. This is exactly why I expected it would be like and the reason I'm probably no going to do it myself. I used to mod things all the time, but I gave up a lot of my tools and work space for doing that sort of stuff a few years back.

I'm kind of surprised there are not any turn key oculink enclosures by now. As mini PCs gain traction, I really expect this market to take off. To me, it's kind of ideal. I'd like to see Minisforum do something like this with oculink and at least two m.2 drives at the same time. The lack of a turnkey oculink enclosure or reasonably priced oculink GPU and the fact you have to give up an m.2 slot to use it are the two things holding me back from jumping on this. Aoostar has a mini that has oculink and like three m.2 slots at the same, but it took me a year to get comfortable trying out Minisforum. Interestingly enough, it appears Aoostar is also making an oculink enclosure.

phxrider

Yeah I get it 100%... It was a lot of research and time, although I am nowhere near super-equipped tool-wise for this, I really had to improvise with very basic tools and did it on my kitchen counters (as you can tell from the pics haha).

I hope someone starts making a Razer Core X style Oculink enclosure, that would be nice, but I don't think that's going to happen. Oculink isn't suitable for the masses - remember we're talking about people who put their iPhones in an armored Otter Box and STILL manage to break the screen twice a year. Oculink is a server connector, it's not meant to be plugged and unplugged 50000 times and be handled by people who give zero thought to these things. It will have to be T-Bolt 5 or something that really makes this take off. Corporations consider things like this, return rates, likelihood of having to warranty it, etc and IMO they'd be scared of that with Oculink. For now, IMO it's going to be a hobbyist/nerd thing.

For some reason, it appended this to my last post.... but I think this is it for updates - I received the 1 meter Oculink cable and it works just fine. FYI, Oculink is supposed to be good for 1.5m without any signal loss, at least that's what I read somewhere while doing the legwork for this. I think it's past the point where I can edit the original post to say it's tested, as there is no option to do that.

Quick benchmark - this is FC6 @ 1440p on ultra everything with all the DXR (ray tracing) options turned ON. This is actually pretty representative of real world FPS, I've seen highs in the 90s and lows about 60 in real world play.
1713912189316.png

Last edited: