• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Modder reduces GTA 5 loading times by 70 percent

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
GTA 5 is one of the most popular games of all time. This game is not the newest, but despite that, it is still widely played.
Unfortunately, the game loading times are quite long at times.
According to an analysis of a modder, this is due to the fact that many of the tasks are handled by only one core of a processor during loading.
This creates a kind of traffic jam and the cycle to load takes far too long.

Capture.PNG

An example is that a text file is read with 63,000 lines. These rules are items that can be bought in a game and are matched with each character.
The modder indicates that, in the worst case, this would require 2 billion calculations. Even on the most modern hardware it takes a while.

The solution that the mud has realized is a new DLL. This means that no 63.00 tasks are needed, but only one.
According to the modder, 69.4 percent faster loading times can be achieved with this.

The modder has made the source for the DLL available on
Github. So it still has to be compiled yourself.
Of course we must indicate that this is at your own risk.

Github (Source)
PCGH

System Name 3 "rigs"-gaming/spare pc/cruncher
Processor R7-5800X3D/i7-7700K/R9-7950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VI Extreme/Asus Ranger Z170/Asus ROG Crosshair X670E-GENE
Cooling Bitspower monoblock ,custom open loop,both passive and active/air tower cooler/air tower cooler
Memory 32GB DDR4/32GB DDR4/64GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX6900XT Alphacooled/AMD RX5700XT 50th Aniv./SOC(onboard)
Storage mix of sata ssds/m.2 ssds/mix of sata ssds+an m.2 ssd
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2410 , HP 24x
Case mb box/Silverstone Raven RV-05/CoolerMaster Q300L
Audio Device(s) onboard/onboard/onboard
Power Supply 3 Seasonics, a DeltaElectronics, a FractalDesing
Mouse various/various/various
Keyboard various wired and wireless
VR HMD -
Software W10.someting or another,all 3
It was pretty much self-explanatory having tried the game installed and played from SATA3 HDD , SATA3 SSD and a fully capable pcie 3.0 nvme SSD .
Biggest difference was from HDD to SATA3 SSD , not so many improvements from SATA3 SSD to ~3GB/s read nvme SSD to game loading times.

So it's gotta be the game code not taking full advantage of the new gen hardware.

System Name SYBARIS
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Memory Team T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB 3200CL16
Video Card(s) Colorful GeForce RTX 2060 6GV2
Storage Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB | Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB | WD My Passport Slim 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 24" 144hz IPS
Case Montech Air ARGB
Audio Device(s) Massdrop + Sennheiser PC37X | QKZ x HBB
Power Supply Corsair CX650-F
Mouse Razer Viper Mini | Cooler Master MM711 | Logitech G102 | Logitech G402
Keyboard Drop + The Lord of the Rings Dwarvish
Software Windows 10 Education 22H2 x64
I read the source few days ago. It's not that the game doesn't take advantage of newer hardware. But the game does something before loading the map. Thus only CPU gets utilised while HDD/SSD stay dormant.

System Name 3 "rigs"-gaming/spare pc/cruncher
Processor R7-5800X3D/i7-7700K/R9-7950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VI Extreme/Asus Ranger Z170/Asus ROG Crosshair X670E-GENE
Cooling Bitspower monoblock ,custom open loop,both passive and active/air tower cooler/air tower cooler
Memory 32GB DDR4/32GB DDR4/64GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX6900XT Alphacooled/AMD RX5700XT 50th Aniv./SOC(onboard)
Storage mix of sata ssds/m.2 ssds/mix of sata ssds+an m.2 ssd
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2410 , HP 24x
Case mb box/Silverstone Raven RV-05/CoolerMaster Q300L
Audio Device(s) onboard/onboard/onboard
Power Supply 3 Seasonics, a DeltaElectronics, a FractalDesing
Mouse various/various/various
Keyboard various wired and wireless
VR HMD -
Software W10.someting or another,all 3
Would the elephant in the room say it's to add some psychological gimmick to the game?

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
hat many of the tasks are handled by only one core of a processor during loading.
does this mean more cores, say Threadripper vs 11700k, mean even faster loading?

System Name SYBARIS
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Memory Team T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB 3200CL16
Video Card(s) Colorful GeForce RTX 2060 6GV2
Storage Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB | Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB | WD My Passport Slim 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 24" 144hz IPS
Case Montech Air ARGB
Audio Device(s) Massdrop + Sennheiser PC37X | QKZ x HBB
Power Supply Corsair CX650-F
Mouse Razer Viper Mini | Cooler Master MM711 | Logitech G102 | Logitech G402
Keyboard Drop + The Lord of the Rings Dwarvish
Software Windows 10 Education 22H2 x64
does this mean more cores, say Threadripper vs 11700k, mean even faster loading?
Means faster single core performance, faster the work done. I say work because it is not loading in the typical sense. Parsing buncha shit.

How I cut GTA Online loading times by 70% (nee.lv)

Down the rabbit hole​

Having borrowed my friend’s completely legitimate copy of the industry-standard disassembler (no, I really can’t afford the thing… gonna learn to ghidra one of these days) I went to take GTA apart.

Gibberish Galore

That doesn’t look right at all. Most high-profile games come with built-in protection against reverse engineering to keep away pirates, cheaters, and modders. Not that it has ever stopped them.

There seems to be some sort of an obfuscation/encryption at play here that has replaced most instructions with gibberish. Not to worry, we simply need to dump the game’s memory while it’s executing the part we want to look at. The instructions have to be de-obfuscated before running one way or another. I had Process Dump lying around, so I used that, but there are plenty of other tools available to do this sort of thing.

Problem one: It’s… strlen?!​

Disassembling the now-less-obfuscated dump reveals that one of the addresses has a label pulled out of somewhere! It’s strlen? Going down the call stack the next one is labeled vscan_fn and after that the labels end, tho I’m fairly confident it’s sscanf.

A graph a day keeps the skeptics away

It’s parsing something. Parsing what? Untangling the disassembly would take forever so I decided to dump some samples from the running process using x64dbg. Some debug-stepping later it turns out it’s… JSON! They’re parsing JSON. A whopping 10 megabytes worth of JSON with some 63k item entries.

{
"key": "WP_WCT_TINT_21_t2_v9_n2",
"price": 45000,
"statName": "CHAR_KIT_FM_PURCHASE20",
"storageType": "BITFIELD",
"bitShift": 7,
"bitSize": 1,
"category": ["CATEGORY_WEAPON_MOD"]
},
What is it? It appears to be data for a “net shop catalog” according to some references. I assume it contains a list of all the possible items and upgrades you can buy in GTA Online.

Clearing up some confusion: I beleive these are in-game money purchasable items, not directly linked with microtransactions.

But 10 megs? That’s nothing! And using sscanf may not be optimal but surely it’s not that bad? Well…

Ouch!

Yeah, that’s gonna take a while… To be fair I had no idea most sscanf implementations called strlen so I can’t blame the developer who wrote this. I would assume it just scanned byte by byte and could stop on a NULL.

Problem two: Let’s use a Hash- … Array?​

Turns out the second offender is called right next to the first one. They’re both even called in the same if statement as seen in this ugly decompilation:

Beggar thy neighbour

All labels are mine, no idea what the functions/parameters are actually called.

The second problem? Right after parsing an item, it’s stored in an array (or an inlined C++ list? not sure). Each entry looks something like this:

struct {
uint64_t *hash;
item_t *item;
} entry;
But before it’s stored? It checks the entire array, one by one, comparing the hash of the item to see if it’s in the list or not. With ~63k entries that’s (n^2+n)/2 = (63000^2+63000)/2 = 1984531500 checks if my math is right. Most of them useless. You have unique hashes why not use a hash map.

Oof!

I named it hashmap while reversing but it’s clearly not_a_hashmap. And it gets even better. The hash-array-list-thing is empty before loading the JSON. And all of the items in the JSON are unique! They don’t even need to check if it’s in the list or not! They even have a function to directly insert the items! Just use that! Srsly, WAT!?

part of the problem is that GTA5 also checks servers for status which is why it is slow to load

SP games load fast from SSD