• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Monitor power cable making some sort of buzzing noise

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The slight crackle as you plug in a power cable that’s connected to the mains is normal, yes.
It is common if that sound is coming from the power connector (the plug prongs or inside the wall receptacle) itself as it is plugged into, or pulled from the wall - if truly "slight" and you don't see any sparks. Not sure I would call it "normal" however. I recommend you be more deliberate (and quick) when plugging in and unplugging. Arcs (sparks) occur as the two conductors come near or move away from each other. The faster you are, the less chance of an arc - or at least you hopefully minimize it to one smaller arc.

Arcs are not good because they result in carbon buildup where the arc jumped across the gap and made contact with the other conductor. Carbon is the basic component of resistors. Over time, that carbon buildup can result in failed connections, or even excessive heat. Not good.

If your power cord looks like this where there is some distance between the wall connector and the AC/DC transformer so you can easily tell for certain that the "slight crackle" is coming from the transformer and not the power plug, that is NOT normal at all and the power supply needs to be replaced ASAP.

I would also recommend you check your wall outlets. Every home and every computer user should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure your outlet is properly wired and grounded to Earth ground. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets (outlets near water) too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, (like this one for the UK) at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the home and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
It is important to understand that monitors are not "hot swappable". That is, monitors and graphics cards are not designed to have the cables connected or disconnected when the computer or monitor is powered on. It is quite possible you accidently caused a short by causing two wrong pins to come into contact with each other, causing permanent damage to the card, monitor, or both. :(

There is no solution for this - only a strong recommendation to stop doing that! Power off the computer and unplug it from the wall. Then securely connect the cable and leave it alone.
good to know cause I've done that a thousand times

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Well, it should be noted, as expressed after I posted that, that HDMI is designed to be hot-swappable, as is Display port. But also as noted, it assumes the cables and connectors are not in need of repair. A friend who is also a technician pointed out he has hot-swapped video cables with no damage. However, he has frequently experienced resolution changes in the process. And with HDMI where audio was sent through the HDMI cable, the audio was lost. A simple reboot restored all, but shutting down whenever swapping cables is just a good habit. Then there is no need to remember what is hot-swappable and what is not.

Jesus F

The slight crackle as you plug in a power cable that’s connected to the mains is normal, yes. It’s caused by arcing, which should be kept to a minimum.

Ok got it thank you very much