• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Monitor stays black after reboot, no beeps.

System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64
hello all, I've ran into an issue and i'm not quite sure what could be the culprit.

Last night I got on my PC(in system specs), and noticed it was lagging a touch with responsiveness. So i figured it needed a reboot as it has been about 2 weeks since i last restarted it. I rebooted, went into my bedroom for a second, came back out and the tower is running but the monitor is blank.

NOTE: My monitor is VGA whereas my GTX 560(non-Ti) only has DVI connectors, i use a VGA-DVI adapter.

It's never done this so i thought a simple CMOS reset would work. Switch PSU off, unplug PSU, remove mobo 24-pin, remove cmos battery, waited about a minute; hooked everything back up but the problem persists.

So next i decide to try and re-seat my GTX 560. Put it back in, booted up and walla i got my post screen, so while i'm putting in the screws to my card it booted the win 7 OS repair before i could pick start up normal. Repair doesn't detect anything fixable so wants to do a system restore, i said no and rebooted. Once again no signal to monitor and no beeps from the motherboard.

So i'm brainstorming for a minute while it's running and remembered i had integrated graphics on my 3570k, plugged the VGA cable into the onboard and i have an image and its already at the OS repair screen. Again no fixable issue(if there is one), said no to system restore, reboot......no image with onboard either this time.

I also tried removing the 2x6-pin connectors to my GTX 560.

At this point i'm at a loss, she's ran beautifully for 6 months+ and out of nowhere i have signal issues to my monitor with onboard and my discrete GPU. And again no motherboard beeps, so i'm a little lost here fella's and i'd appreciate any help.

System Name H2o Box
Processor Intel(R) Xeon e5-2690 v2 Stock 3.300 GHz stock
Motherboard MSI X79A-G43 Plus (MS-7760) v3
Cooling CPU EK & Phobya G-Changer 360 V2.0 RAD H2o VGA "AlphaCool M18" Hybrid [pump replaced 18/8/21]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 16Gb 11-12-12-32 2T @ 1866Mhz [locked]
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1080ti AMP EXTREME
Storage HyperX Fury 120GB & Savage 480GB SSD, Seagate 250GB,250GB 7200rpm Kingston 64GB SSD
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG32VQR 2560*1440 165Hz VA Panel
Case Corsair O-800D
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Be Quiet! [Dark Power Pro 11] 1200W CM replaced [7-4-2017]
Mouse Zelotes T-90
Keyboard K66 Mechanical US Layout
Software Win 10 Pro 64Bit v 20H2 / OS [build 19043.1237] WFEP 120.2212.3530.0
Hi

Maybe; windows corrupted driver pool

Test monitor attached to another system
Boot system with minimal hardware attached, PSU, CPU & Heatsink, one stick of RAM and either igp or vga card [add back any other hardware one peice at a time]
Boots into safemode with GTX 560 removed using onboard igp as primary, set in motherboard bios?
Boot's into safemode ?
Enable low-resolution video (640x480) [*if Yes; uninstall graphic drivers, boot back into windows and reinstall drivers]

Edit: Re-seat CPU [while cpu is removed clear motherboard bios]; again use minimal hardware setup, test to see if system gets to POST & Bios. Power down and add hardware back one item at a time. [assemble out of chassis/case]
Replace HDD/SSD sata cable/s
Reseat RAM; Test RAM / test with new RAM
Have a look here; thanks go out to punisher186

atb (all the best)

Law-II

Last edited:
System Name Felix777
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 10 x64
Thanks law II, I wanted to do more testing on it last night but it was late and had to get up early. probably won't get to it till tomorrow morning....wife's been nagging saying i spend to much time working on things: pc, vehicle, sharpening my knifes lol.

EDIT: i've googled more, and read some people having that issue with PSU, suppose that'll just be another test, take out discrete and see if integrated works every time. The capstone's have such great reviews i couldn't imagine it not being able to handle the load.

Anymore advice/ideas are more than welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:

awhit11

Thanks law II, I wanted to do more testing on it last night but it was late and had to get up early. probably won't get to it till tomorrow morning....wife's been nagging saying i spend to much time working on things: pc, vehicle, sharpening my knifes lol.

EDIT: i've googled more, and read some people having that issue with PSU, suppose that'll just be another test, take out discrete and see if integrated works every time. The capstone's have such great reviews i couldn't imagine it not being able to handle the load.

Anymore advice/ideas are more than welcome. Thanks.
Check to see if your monitor is set to correct display for windows output. On most monitors with multiple inputs you can cycle thru each by pushing a button on the side or bottom corner of the monitor. When you get to DVI let go the button and leave there for a second or two to allow the display to change. To test and see if your getting to the logon and but cant see it simply power off the computer by pressing the power button---if it takes a few seconds to shutoff then you are booting to the logon screen---if it shuts off immediately the boot process is indeed failing. In your UEFI/BIOS make sure the device you want is the initial graphics---PEG forPCI/discreet boards or IGD for integrated graphics

System Name Parts Arriving Now...
Processor Intel i7-4770k
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Noctua u14s w/push-pull
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb 1866
Video Card(s) 2x EVGA GTX 780ti Superclocked
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD black 2TB
Display(s) QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution II 1440p
Case Corsair 750D
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X-FI xtrememusic
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Software Window 7 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores n/a, system being built this week
If you can see your post screen that means the monitor isn't broken, it's usually a driver/software issue at that point. A quick way to test is to boot into safe mode and see if windows comes up that way, that's what you have to do when you're playing with custom resolutions (like overclocking your monitor) when you set something that it can't handle. If you boot into safe mode (with networking) go download the latest drivers from your GPU website and install them, then reboot and you should be good to go.

If that doesn't work you'll have to look into other possible causes, but I'm pretty confident that should fix it for you.

Edit: You could also have a bad cable or adapter but since the post screen displays I think that's unlikely. You'd have to have a case where the cable/adapter works with low data transfer rates and shorts out with the full signal, it's unlikely but you could try a different set of cables/adapter if the driver thing doesn't fix it. Just for clarity, my solution works because safe mode loads the default Windows driver for your GPU and not whatever you have installed. So if your NVIDIA or AMD driver got corrupted that will tell you...

System Name Felix777
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 10 x64
@awhit11: the monitor has only one output, old school VGA. as for the PEG< my bios has PEG, PCI, and IGD setting, so either PCI and PEG are the same or they're different.

@Aithos: i appreciate the help but the issue isn't surrounding windows, its surrounding the fact that the post screen wouldn't show let alone windows except for those 3 random moments. Don't believe it has anything to do with windows drivers when you're on that level.

I appreciate the help fella's but i believe i got it figured out. I had about 15 min to spare this morning so i took out my graphics card completely, unplugged and all. then booted up with just ram, cpu and plugged into the IGD VGA output on my mobo. booted up like a charm no problem, so i then proceeded to bios, disabled everything IGD related and set default output or however its worded to PCI/PEG. save and exit, put card back in and it booted all the way up with no hiccups. however that was the end of my 15 minutes and had to go lol. So i'll find out tonight if that solved it for good with simple reboot. Still doesn't quite make sense that it would work for 6 months+ with no issues like this. The mobo is a very cheap one tho($40).

Tallencor

TPU's First Patreon
Supporter
System Name Francis
Processor 7700k @5.0 delid
Motherboard Rog Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair H100i V2
Memory 32 GB Gskill Trident Z RGB 3200 xmp
Video Card(s) MSI RX 480 Gaming x 8G
Storage Samsung960evo250GB os Samsung 860 evo 500GB (Games)Samsung 840 120 (Storage)
Display(s) Viewsonic XG 2701 Freesync
Case Corsair Crystal 570x
Audio Device(s) On board Supreme FX
Power Supply Evga 850 G3
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Logitech G810
Software Win 10 Home 64
Benchmark Scores 11+12=19?
Hi Did you solve this? I am having the same prob at the moment. I can hear windows boot but there is no display fr my card. Bios set to pci resets to auto and I am using dvi from monitor to dvi to card no adapters. Any insight would be welcome as all the steam sale games I bought cant be played. lol.

awhit11

You seem to have a hefty overclock for hyper 212. Don't know AMD boards that well but that also seems to be overclock spec on the 7870. But some chips are manufactured well and can handle it. Could be the resetting is due to failed overclock. Have you tried booting with the default bios setting. Also have you tried using the DVI or HDMI port onboard your motherboard to see if you can boot to windows. As I suggested to the original op to test if you are booting all the way to the logon hit the power button and note if there is a delay in the computer shutting down. Delay means you are at the logon but cant see it.

Tallencor

TPU's First Patreon
Supporter
System Name Francis
Processor 7700k @5.0 delid
Motherboard Rog Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair H100i V2
Memory 32 GB Gskill Trident Z RGB 3200 xmp
Video Card(s) MSI RX 480 Gaming x 8G
Storage Samsung960evo250GB os Samsung 860 evo 500GB (Games)Samsung 840 120 (Storage)
Display(s) Viewsonic XG 2701 Freesync
Case Corsair Crystal 570x
Audio Device(s) On board Supreme FX
Power Supply Evga 850 G3
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Logitech G810
Software Win 10 Home 64
Benchmark Scores 11+12=19?
http://tallencor.imgur.com/all/
Sorry my clocks are lower after I started clocking my dimm's. 4.5 was okay initially but went well into 80's after fiddling with mem. Here is the most recent clock. No card just on board vid. Thing is, even @ stock clocks I have no vid on card. Also when I played with the dimm clocks the vid card was back to stock speeds as I was after a stable cpu and memory oc first. 1220 and 1508 were the highest stable I had on the 7870 xt so ran it a touch lower for gaming (system specs). From what I gather, Quite a few people are having trouble with their output in regards to 7000 cards on gigabyte boards. However there also seem to be no conclusive fix. I have even tried to disable internal gfx with bios but as the board acts like its not there it reverts to auto every time. I dunno It was working fine (card) since February of this year. Only other thing I can think of is a bad psu draw as my pc looped when I plugged my top 200mm case fan direct to psu as I had a push pull on the evo at first and used all my board pin's up.
At the moment my rig is at the shop where I bought the parts incase the board (mobo) needs rma. He has tested the 7870 on his bench and it works fine so it doesn't seem to be the card.
As a side note my card @ 1200 1500 rarely goes past mid 70's full load. Silicone lottery I believe.

Last edited:
System Name Felix777
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 10 x64
you really should start a new thread of your own instead of hijacking mine, not that i'm a prick about it but just a little advice for the future, as for your issue your PSU should have plenty of juice, though i did notice it's multiple 12v rails, that could have something to do with it. How do you have the cards 6/8pin's plugged in? are they on the same cord in other words rail? try two separate pci-e connector cords coming from your psu. just a thought, also you may get better results starting your own thread and include your GPU's name in the title. threads with new/ish tech in the title tend to get more views.