• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MPAA Threatens to Cut Google from Internet

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 870EVO // Samsung 840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
You are correct that the MPAA has the right to sell movies and protect its investmenst. Where you are wrong is that other companies are not obligated to do anything to help them. The ISP is not obligated to shut off service at the MPAA's request w/ no real proof, Google is not obligated to shut off service to it's customers/employees, google is not obligated to disipline their employees for things that do not involve google.

Saying Google should be the one that is on the forefront is asinine, Google has nothing to gain from that. They aren't the ones having their product ripped off.

If the MPAA wants to protect their interested, then they should do it themselves and stop trying get everyone else to do it for them. Using your own gun example, it would be idiototic to try and get the gun seller to completely stop selling the one gun that was used in the murder, wouldn't it? And it isn't the gun seller's fault, it is the fault of the person that pulled the trigger. Now the gun seller can, and probably will, help the family and authorties find the person that did it, but he doesn't have to completely stop selling guns.

Google should be on the forefront because they have alot to gain, new business.
If Google does not want to protect its business partners they will slowly fail. Who wants to use something that will cause them a loss. The big picture is that by setting a positive example they can continue to grow into new more lucrative areas. I think stock holders would see this as a plus.

You make the argument that Google is not obligated. That's a morally repugnant idea and a bad business model. If none can expect help from Google then won't a failure be inevitable. Who's going to buy into that?

"Google is not obligated to shut off service to it's customers/employees, google is not obligated to disipline their employees for things that do not involve google."

Show me where Google is not obligated and show me the disconnect between Google and its emloyees and their actions.

Using your own argument, "Now the gun seller can, and probably will, help the family and authorties find the person that did it, but he doesn't have to completely stop selling guns."

No one wants Google to stop selling its services. MPAA wants help in stopping theft.

How do you propose catching the killer?

Google News: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/15/us-mobile-fair-google-idUSTRE71E54J20110215

Google says: Schmidt declined to comment on the matter but reiterated that Google had no plans to become a content provider.

"It's important not to own businesses that you don't understand. There's a line, and because content is very hard -- it's a very specialized business -- we want to stay on the engineering side, which we do understand," he said.

MPAA understands CONTENT.

A little off topic but this is how Google is EXPANDING business... http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/18/us-google-enterprise-idUSTRE71H5ER20110218?pageNumber=1

Who Google chooses to expand with and branch out their businees with, will be important for business and consumer alike.

Getting movies through MPAA and Google might be difficult as it has to contend with Netflix, cable companies, etc...

Last edited: