• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

msi b450 tomahawk vs tomahawk max

So i am going to get the ryzen 5 3600 and so i need a new mobo, i was essentially going for the normal tomahawk version until i saw the max version (which is not availabe in Ukraine yet) and i am really bored of waiting for nearly 2 weeks and still not on sale..should i just stick with the older version or its worth waiting? also can anyone points the differences between them except faster memory speed (does it really makes any difference?)+out of the box compatibility for the max version

Space Lynx

Astronaut
So i am going to get the ryzen 5 3600 and so i need a new mobo, i was essentially going for the normal tomahawk version until i saw the max version (which is not available in Ukraine yet) and i am really bored of waiting for nearly 2 weeks and still not on sale..should i just stick with the older version or its worth waiting? also can anyone points the differences between them except faster memory speed (does it really makes any difference?)+out of the box compatibility for the max version

Max version isn't available here yet either (USA). I am waiting for it to come out before I do my new build. going to get the $75 version. If you already own the older version than just stick with that one, it will be fine.

System Name SYBARIS
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Memory Team T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB 3200CL16
Video Card(s) Colorful GeForce RTX 2060 6GV2
Storage Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB | Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB | WD My Passport Slim 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 24" 144hz IPS
Case Montech Air ARGB
Audio Device(s) Massdrop + Sennheiser PC37X | QKZ x HBB
Power Supply Corsair CX650-F
Mouse Razer Viper Mini | Cooler Master MM711 | Logitech G102 | Logitech G402
Keyboard Drop + The Lord of the Rings Dwarvish
Software Windows 10 Education 22H2 x64
I went with non-MAX begrudgingly. Memory shouldn't matter. Someone I know has 3600 Mhz kit running with his non-MAX board. Only difference is bios interface, and out of the box support. If you have the option tell the shop to flash latest bios with a 2000 chip for you. Seems to me many have problem booting MSI B450 boards and they almost exclusively used flashback to update bios.

Or if it's same price (like for my country) go with AsRock Steel Legend. Even the cheaper MATX version has more feature than MAX or non-MAX Tomahawk. It was my first choice tbh. But was out of stock when I bought my rig *sigh*

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I went with non-MAX begrudgingly. Memory shouldn't matter. Someone I know has 3600 Mhz kit running with his non-MAX board. Only difference is bios interface, and out of the box support. If you have the option tell the shop to flash latest bios with a 2000 chip for you. Seems to me many have problem booting MSI B450 boards and they almost exclusively used flashback to update bios.

Or if it's same price (like for my country) go with AsRock Steel Legend. Even the cheaper MATX version has more feature than MAX or non-MAX Tomahawk. It was my first choice tbh. But was out of stock when I bought my rig *sigh*

Don't feel too bad about missing out on steel legend, it can only support the "lite bios" not the full one, probably doesn't matter, but eh

Max version has bigger bios chip, can support the full version msi clickbios (not just visual, but the lite version cut down in features too!) Check out what is your preference/needs.

I don't have a great case with bad airflow, so number 1 for me is temperature and I am not really for features except good overclocking