• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI GS70 I7 5700HQ and GTX 970M UNDERVOLT ??? Too hot ......

nalgar

Hello,

I have a MSI Gs70 2qe stealh pro

I d like to undervolt my cpu and my videocard because when i play it's burning (cpu 96° and videocard 88°)

I don't have dust in my fan ....

Someone can help me ???

I can only undervolt about 0.50 mv with intel xtu but the temperature don't want to be cooler ....

Thx

System Name Burning a hole through my wallet
Processor 3700X
Motherboard Maximus 8 Hero
Cooling Custom loop (EK Extreme 360 Rad, Supremacy evo w/AM4 bracket)
Memory 2x16 Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB @3200MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080s hybrid
Storage 960 Evo, 660p, P1, BX500, 2XWD Black, Ironwolf Proo
Display(s) Predator 27" 4k 144hz HDR
Case NZXT h700i
Power Supply EVGA G3 850
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Drop ALT W/holypanda switches
Software Win 10 Pro 64, Ubuntu 20.04, Manjaro (latest)
Venturing into this is kinda warranty void hell as well as dangerous af, however I'd check around online there's a site where some dude does killer bios mods (forgot the name of it) but I did my gj551jw up with a custom bios to unlock undervolting it, and besides knocking down your max cpu multiplier with something like xtu, I think this would help with some temps. Note that if you screw this up you turn your machine into a 1500$ slab of expensive metals. More dangerous is going with a tim replacement because if you screw this up and end up even causing a small hole in what is presumably a vapor chaimber you have to wait for a replacement cooler or go to eBay if that is an option. Unfortunately laptops are pretty damn hard to work with, and results pretty often are a mixed bag.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum, transparent custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
I currently have the Alienware 13 r3 OLED. Used to have the MSI GS60 2QE with the 4720hq and 970m. I upgraded RAM, SSD, and liquid metalled the cooling system on that laptop. Worked well for reducing temps into the 80s. On my Alienware I've Liquid metalled and replaced thermal pads on GDDR5 with Gelid Extreme. Works wonders for temps.

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
Alright first you want to gain control of your laptops System Fan and set that to 100% when gaming. (not sure what app works on your rig but i bet MSI Afterburner will.)

Then you want to install Intel XTU https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU- and undervolt offset to about .100 - .150 and hit apply. no need for relaunching the app once it is set as it automatically hold the settings even after reboot unless system crashes which then resets to defaults. you may not get stable at .100 but most do.....you may get further and stable...use the built in bench test stability and temperatures....I
XTU.JPG

I like using RealTemp https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-real-temp/ for monitoring CPU and GPU temperatures. I also set sound alarms with realtemp to warn me at 80 cels and that temperature was my preference.
realtemp.JPG

You may not need to undervolt the GPU if you have done the above. Normally it is the CPU heat making the GPU hot some laptops are better designed and don't but MOST do. Also in my experience once you get the CPU temps under control the GPU temps are no longer an issue.

Also a laptop cooler such as this helps a LOT!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J0NZYOK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Welcome to TPU!!! :lovetpu::lovetpu::lovetpu::lovetpu:

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Alright first you want to gain control of your laptops System Fan and set that to 100% when gaming. (not sure what app works on your rig but i bet MSI Afterburner will.)

Then you want to install Intel XTU https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU- and undervolt offset to about .100 - .150 and hit apply. no need for relaunching the app once it is set as it automatically hold the settings even after reboot unless system crashes which then resets to defaults. you may not get stable at .100 but most do.....you may get further and stable...use the built in bench test stability and temperatures....I
View attachment 103995

I like using RealTemp https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-real-temp/ for monitoring CPU and GPU temperatures. I also set sound alarms with realtemp to warn me at 80 cels and that temperature was my preference.
View attachment 103996

You may not need to undervolt the GPU if you have done the above. Normally it is the CPU heat making the GPU hot some laptops are better designed and don't but MOST do. Also in my experience once you get the CPU temps under control the GPU temps are no longer an issue.

Also a laptop cooler such as this helps a LOT!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J0NZYOK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Welcome to TPU!!! :lovetpu::lovetpu::lovetpu::lovetpu:

Same thing I would have said to him

Only things I could suggest is changing the thermal interface material whether it's a compound or a pad to something better than the cheap garbage that laptop manufacturers put in them

Also with any desktop or laptop ambient temperatures have a big role in determining how cool or hot a machine runs.

If his room temperature is pretty high or warm even if he's blowing warm or hot air into that laptop it's going to run hot no matter what he does.

Any electronic you're going to want to have air conditioning for

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Has it always run this hot? What are your temps when idle or just browsing the Internet?

Your GPU temp is not a worry. They run hotter than CPUs.

Sadly, you didn't tell us which CPU you have. That MSI comes in different models. While your CPU temp is high, from what I can find, you still have some wiggle room as both the i7-5950HQ and i7-5700HQ processors have Tjunction ratings of 105°C. And "in theory" no harm should come if you do reach those temps as the CPU "should" throttle back in speeds (and thus heat production) if it crosses that threshold. Still, those high temps for long periods of time would not be good for the other components too.

I agree with eidairaman1 and ambient (room) temps can be a factor here.

I generally am not a fan of changing the TIM (thermal interface material) unless the cured bond is broken and you have decent experience in this task. You typically don't get more than 5 - 6° improvement, if that. And not sure I would be happy with 90 - 91°C (from the reported 96°C) either. The problem with replacing the TIM is the CPU itself can easily be damaged through mishandling and/or ESD. Or the socket can be damaged too. :(

Cleaning the fan of heat trapping dust is certainly important but dust can collect inside the notebook too. It may just need a professional cleaning where the notebook is nearly disassembled for a complete exposure of the innards for a thorough cleaning. At the very least, remove all covers and access panels, remove all removable items from the various bays and blast out the dust as much as possible.

The use of a notebook cooling pad can make a big difference, depending on the design of the pad, and the notebook. And that TT showed above seems to be a nice. HOWEVER, when the notebook is already suffering heat issues, it is counterproductive to tax the power circuits even more to power the pads fans. So I highly recommend powering the cooling pad from a USB wall-charger/adapter

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Alienware 13 r3 OLED
It's a laptop - if those temperatures are when under heavy load, it's absolutely fine. Just avoid putting it on fabric surfaces like quilts or carpets.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Wrong poster RCoon. The OP (nalgar) has an MSI. Still, your point is the same.

That is one of the issues with store bought laptops .... Often a model is created and goes thru testing ... and then later at some point, a decision is made to re-use the chassis with later released higher CPUs / GPUs. That is why I always recommend purchasing a custom built laptop (Clevo) made to your speidications. In this instances you can also spec a TIM ugrade. We run AutoCAD as our main app which hits resources pretty hard, as do games in our off hours; never had a heat issue and the best part is, they don't cost any more than the sore bought ones. We create temperature baseline by running RoG Real Bench (CPU) and Furmark (GPU) when a machine arrives and check it every 6 months or so. When we see a change we take apart and clean, blowing dust out of the heat sinks from the inside out... it's pretty discussing what we've found ... hair (human and pet), dander, cookie crumbs and unindentifiables.

Among the other options ...

Guaranteed no dead or partially-lit pixels for first 30 days of purchasing
Screen Calibration
90 days No Dead Pixel Guarantee and Screen Calibration

IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
CPU Options (even 8086l)
GPU Options
No OS, or any available Windows OIS
RAM amounts and Speeds
144 Hz Screens / 4k Screens
RAID
Multiple M.2 SSDs up to 2 TB
DH, SSD or SSHDs (SATA)
Network cards

For the last 10 years or so, been buying them here. For more about Clevo, see 3rd link

Vhttps://www.resellerratings.com/store/LPC_Digital_Inc
https://lpc-digital.com/
Clevo Guide v3.0 - FAQ and Reseller Info ****READ BEFORE POSTING****

Well that covers next time ... but for the current issue, Id start with MSI ... get them to troubleshoot the problem, perhaps they can guide you along or maybe will tell ya to send in so they can check. Assuming that doesn't bring results:

a) It's highly unlikely you will see anything but a light coating of gust on ya fans ... where that hair, fuzz and other ugly stuff winds up is at the entry the heat sink fins. BTW, when ya clean those fans w/ compressed air, make sure to keep the fan from spinning while doing so. They can "overspin" and fail.
b) best to pick out the stringy stuff (i.e,.hair) with fingers or plastic tweezer ... can use metal if ya careful or in a pinch but f you are gonna clean ya PC and lappie, it's worth having one in ya toolkit. Then blow the smaller stuff thru the HS. An old toothbrush, moistened with electronics spay cleaner or isoprophyl alcohol with get any stubborn stuff lose.
c) Laptop cover screws are usually held in with blue Loctite ... good idea to be prepared and reapply in case you have to ever send back for warranty service.
d) While 'in there" ya may want remove, clean contacts and replace RAM and storage components.
e) As far as CPU and GPU, this can often involve substantial disassembly, so don't jump in unless you are prepared for it, and yes, it's quite easy to damage the CPU or socket. We recommend IC Diamond or Shin Etsu G751 for lappies ... AS5 not recommended because of the capacitance issues noted on their web site. Risk may be small but ShinEtsu has same thermal properties, is cheaper and has 0 risk.

As far as cooling pads....

a) Not exactly convenient away from your desk.
b) Requires buying something like this ... do NOT plug into lappie's USB port
https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/accessories/cph720p/
c) Most of them don't do squat ,,, likelihood being if it's cheap it steenks.
d) Best results obtained using both a pad and a plug in fan cooler module whch sucks air out thru back o0f heat sinks. best performance I have seen, where it actually made a performance difference was with the Thermaltake Massive and one of the suckie things, can't remember the brand .. Opolar LC-06 perhaps. In the test, the combo not only dropped temps but also had a significant performance impact,

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
That is one of the issues with store bought laptops .... Often a model is created and goes thru testing ... and then later at some point, a decision is made to re-use the chassis with later released higher CPUs / GPUs. That is why I always recommend purchasing a custom built laptop (Clevo) made to your speidications.
That's really the same difference. In spite of what the Clevo marketing weenies want us to believe, their laptops are not really custom built in the same way a home builder can really custom build a PC.

Yeah, it is not the same as buying a Dell off the Best Buy shelf, but you can select various options if you buy a Dell directly from Dell too.

Clevo laptops are not really custom built. You can only chose from a very limited list of options. You still cannot, for a primary example, buy a Fractal Design case for your Clevo. You can chose how much RAM but you cannot chose Crucial RAM, or even faster RAM instead of their limited offerings of their house brand of RAM. Or if you want a Seagate HD instead of a WD, you are out of luck.

You can only put in your Clevo laptop the options Clevo offers.

That's not faulting Clevo. It is faulting the fact there is no industry standard for notebooks like the ATX Form Factor standard for PCs.

And I note, there are similar restriction for factory made PCs too. If Dell or HP don't offer Intel SSDs for example, you're not getting one in their "custom" factory built PC.

If there was an ATX Form Factor like standard for notebooks, there would be a true notebook parts industry and retailers (like NewEgg) and you could build a notebook with a Fractal design case, ASUS motherboard, Samsung SSD, Kingston RAM and Samsung monitor, then change your mind and put in a Gigabyte motherboard, Intel SSD, Corsair RAM and LG monitor, then change your mind again and put them all in a TT case.